Recent Activity

Thread: UFP Strikes Game Release Deal with CBS (Voyager: Elite Force)
Page 1 of 6 Last
  1. Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Andoria
    STO
    John Hathaway@Hathaway
    Donated
    100+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:01 PM
    Character ImageUFP members will be aware that we communicated over the past few weeks with CBS. Well today it is with great delight that we can announce that the UFP has reached an agreement with CBS Interactive to freely and legally distribute the multiplayer component to one of the best Star Trek games ever made, Star Trek Voyager: Elite Force.

As a long time supporter of Elite Force, the UFP is thrilled to be able to offer it in 3 unique versions for your convenience.

Legacy Edition, in honour of more than a decade of EF gaming, will take you into the heart of the action as you frag your enemies in Capture the Flag, Assimilation, Disintegration, Holomatch, Specialties mode and many more. Join us on our dedicated Elite Force Frag Server and share in the fun!

Basic and Advanced Editions come pre-packaged with the fantastic total conversion RP mod, RPG-X - developed by ubergames.org. Take on any starship role and character, pick from dozens of skins, play in detailed interactive fan-made maps, and create the ultimate Star Trek RP experience. RPG-X allows you to role-play like never before.
    The Basic Edition contains just RPG-X, allowing you a clean install where you can add your own maps, skins and more as you wish.
    The Advanced Edition comes with a number of popular and essential addons pre-installed for ease of access.

If you would like to be able to frag enemies and role-play, you will need to install and run the Legacy Edition and either the Basic or Advanced Edition separately.

If you've yet to experience either I recommend you download it and give it a try, it's always blast. If you have, this is a great excuse to get back into a true Star Trek classic with your fellow UFP fleeters.

As part of our initial agreement with CBS, distribution will be limited to ufplanets.com, and as such to UFP members only. However we will be releasing the Legacy and Basic Editions in the upcoming Autumn Herald for all registered website users. The Advanced Edition due to its size and therefore bandwidth concerns, will remain exclusive to UFP members.

If anyone has any questions or concerns, please get in touch by clicking Contact UFP at the very bottom of this page.
    We look forward to seeing you in-game

2. Petty Officer 3rd Class

Petty Officer 3rd Class
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Andoria
    STO
    Airik@Airik
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:30 PM
    First of all id like to say that spending the last half an hour hitting refresh to read this news as soon as possible was well worth it, congratulations to everyone involved in the negotiations with CBS to pull this one off it is an impressive accomplishment.

Secondly id like to thank those involved for the dedication and determination in pulling this off i am sure it was not easy, so again i thank you .

3. Captain

Captain
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Andoria
    STO
    Joshua A. Broughm@jabberman30
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:33 PM
    Excuse mah languange when I say:

HOLY SH*T THIS IS HUGE!!!!!

Well done Hath, well done.

4. Commodore

Commodore
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Vulcan
    STO
    Seeker
    Donated
    25+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:34 PM
    Very Good Achievement

5. Head of Member Experience

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Risa
    STO
    Christopher Halsey@Chris5626
    Donated
    100+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:37 PM
    Dealing with such a big business as CBS is certainly something that could appear daunting but at every stage of this they were really very helpful especially considering the number of people that needed to sign off on it to get this done.

I think the relationship we have built with Cryptic Studios is something that definately helps with this sort of thing because as soon you can be in a position to get the names and contact details of the people that can make stuff happen you can really make a lot of progress.

There certainly will be more to come in this area in the near future Spoilers

6. Head of Community Social Affairs

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Earth
    STO
    Lazereth@Mark-Lazereth
    Donated
    25+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:37 PM
    Very nice!

7. SFRes Commanding Officer

Rear Admiral

Rear Admiral
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Earth
    STO
    Adam@Adster2009
    Donated
    10+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:38 PM
    Fantastic Achievement getting the legal ability to distribute this to members I hope to see more and more people joining our Frag and SRP nights

8. Captain

Captain
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Earth
    STO
    Mullaly@Mullaly
    Donated
    50+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:47 PM
    CHRIS! You sound like River Song!

9. Head of Member Experience

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Risa
    STO
    Donated
    100+
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:51 PM
    Originally Posted by {UFP}Thomas Mullaly
    CHRIS! You sound like River Song!
    As intended.

10. Lieutenant

Lieutenant
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Bajor
    STO
    Samuel Quinn@jthomas18
    Donated
    10 or less
    Thu 11 Aug, 2011, 11:53 PM
    Well now we have this I expect to see more great Ideas for Serial Role Plays in the harriers forums!

11. Community Administrators Lead

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Earth
    STO
    LynxMukka@LynxMukka
    Donated
    100+
    Fri 12 Aug, 2011, 12:02 AM
    Originally Posted by {UFP}Chris Halsey
    Dealing with such a big business as CBS is certainly something that could appear daunting but at every stage of this they were really very helpful especially considering the number of people that needed to sign off on it to get this done.

I think the relationship we have built with Cryptic Studios is something that definitely helps with this sort of thing because as soon you can be in a position to get the names and contact details of the people that can make stuff happen you can really make a lot of progress.
    Indeed. Many thanks to Mikester92 for his work in communicating with the third parties and thanks to Hathaway and Sharpkiller for their tremendous work on the project as well.

12. Head of Member Experience

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Risa
    STO
    Donated
    100+
    Fri 12 Aug, 2011, 12:04 AM
    Although our event calendar is looking quite busy at the moment we should have a number of additional Holomatch and RPG-X events being added to the calendar in the very near future.

13. Head of Member Experience

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Risa
    STO
    Donated
    100+
    Fri 12 Aug, 2011, 12:05 AM
    Originally Posted by {UFP}LynxMukka
    Indeed. Many thanks to Mikester92 for his work in communicating with the third parties and thanks to Hathaway and Sharpkiller for their tremendous work on the project as well.

14. Community Administrators Lead

Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Earth
    STO
    LynxMukka@LynxMukka
    Donated
    100+
    Fri 12 Aug, 2011, 12:08 AM
    And Chris Halsey for of course, the legal work that he put into this to make sure we could allow the whole membership to get their hands on Elite Force.

15. Federation Executive

Federation Executive
    Reputation Tier:

Planet
    Andoria
    STO
    John Hathaway@Hathaway
    Donated
    100+
    Fri 12 Aug, 2011, 12:14 AM
    It was a great team effort and we couldn't be more pleased with the outcome. I was particularly surprised in my initial correspondence with CBS at how willing they were to help us through this process. It's great to see us Star Trek fans getting attention from a large multinational company and I think demonstrates that CBS are looking out for the fans.

Elite Force has always been one of, if not my favourite Star Trek game of all time, especially when you throw RPG-X into the mix. I can still recall seeing Elite Force advertised on the front of a PC gaming magazine before its release and getting all hyped up over it. It's hard to believe that here we are, 11 years later distributing it legally and for free to all our members.

Great work to everyone involved, and I hope you guys enjoy what I think is a fantastic game.