Federation Executive Office, Mon 09 Feb, 2015 12:30 AM
Views:
Replies:
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Noram
    • Hathaway
    Hello readers. It is customary for the Federation Executive Office to provide a public record of events leading to what is either a controversial issue or removal of a high profile member. FEO in this instance, regrettably has to announce that earlier this week, Torinth was removed from the UFP as a result of receiving a third strike to his membership record.

The following report is a concise summary of events/evidence, which in better detail, explains why this decision was made. It does not however include all information that is not specifically relevant, in the interests of protecting the privacy of the now departed member.

Based on our records, Torinth received two strikes on 1st January 2013 from FEO as a result of an investigation between LynxMukka, Mikester92 and the SFO CO at the time, Seeker. The incidents involved an array of public and private messages sent by Torinth which were rude or abrasive in nature that then consequently resulted in his removal from the SFO XO at the time. This then seemed to spur on further negative reactions from Torinth to result in a strong message being sent by FEO (known as SFC at the time) by issuing two strikes.

In fact though, this was not the first time Torinth's name had appeared amongst member complaints. Indeed, Torinth was involved in several altercations with Mugato in 2012. See here: https://ufplanets.com/showthread.php...hlight=torinth

Torinth’s first active strike was given in relation to an inflammatory exchange he had with another currently active member on the 17th April 2013. The incident occurred on TeamSpeak and was in relation to the discussion of uniform colours. Both members could have demonstrated further restraint as explained to them at the time. In this instance, Torinth appeared to be displaying the same behaviour as previous events, by being rude, abrasive and argumentative and breaching multiple points of the Code of Conduct and Command Position Agreement. It's worth to note that a warning was given on the 20th June 2013 for a different incident but also involving TeamSpeak conduct. Due to strike rules at the time, the second original strike was removed since a certain period of time had passed, thereby this incident still left Torinth with two active strikes.

On the 25th October 2013, the second active strike was removed, leaving Torinth with one active strike. The reason behind this was that it was felt Torinth's behaviour towards others in the community was improving. Indeed throughout the years as this case demonstrates, FEO prefers to take a liberal approach to dealing with members in the sense that we like to give opportunities for improvement rather than make quick, harsh decisions.

Also based on our records, Torinth’s second active strike was ordered by FEO for an altercation that took place between him and another currently active member of the UFP, on the 27th September 2014. The incident occurred during a Joint Fleet Event where by other members were present, as well as an external representative from a Star Trek fleet. It was decided that Torinth had breached points of the Code of Conduct and the Command Position Agreement.

A long period of time had passed after the second strike, and trust was placed in Torinth once more for him to serve as the Federation News Service’s Commanding Officer. However ultimately over time, Torinth's informal conduct with other members has been described as harsh, abrupt or aggressive. As a result of this and a few other concerns, Torinth was asked to re-consider his position but declined, thereby forcing FEO to remove him from the role, for the benefit of the Federation News Service department which plays an important role in the UFP's future.

Consequently, Torinth took the action to delete FNS assets from UFPlanets.com servers that he felt he created or contributed to over the course of his membership, which he later both admitted and declined any knowledge of doing so. We were quickly able to recover the files and continue to exercise our right to use them. As is noted in our rules, specifically the CPA, which all CL5 and CL6 members have to abide by, it states that all contributions, once provided to UFPlanets.com is considered property of the UFPlanets.com community as a whole (not any one person etc).

In doing so, as well as taking into consideration his conduct via PM and TeamSpeak after, breaches the following community rules.

CPA -
    1.3 - Always act in the best interests of the UFP.
    3.1 - Show respect for my colleagues and/or team members at all times.
    3.2 - Refrain from and refuse to tolerate rude or disrespectful behaviour at any level.
    3.4 - Always conduct myself in a manner that sets an example of how others should conduct themselves.
    .1 - Not use any UFP created works without permission to do so. What I contribute to the UFP as an ‘asset’ will then be property of the community, not solely my own.
    5.3 - Understand that if I do not abide by this CPA, whether still in a command position or not, that it will be treated as a serious rule breach.
    Code of Conduct -
    1.1 - All UFP Members must respect the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures at all times.
    1.4 - Use of abusive language, imagery or any actions that may be deemed deliberately offensive are not permitted.
    2.4 - All UFP Members are also expected to follow the UFP's forum rules at all times.
    5.1 - All pictures, graphics and any other classification of unique works are not to be used without authorisation from their creator(s)/owner(s).
    7.2 - All Command Officers' are bound to follow the Command Position Agreement (CPA) upon receiving a command position.
    12.1 - All terms of the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures must be adhered to by all members at all times unless compliance would result in the breach of another aspect of the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures.
    12.2 - Any action taken that does not technically breach the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures but does go against the spirit of the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures may still result in action being taken against those involved.
    12.3 - The Federation Executive Office reserves the right to take any action in the event of breaches of the Code of Conduct/Policies and Procedures, including legal action if applicable.

Given the circumstances therefore, FEO made the decision to issue a third strike given the circumstances which automatically then results in the termination of membership. More information regarding all circumstances to Torinth's removal is available upon request.

Ideally, FEO prefers to protect the privacy of members, both active and former, however given Torinth's length of membership and positions held, FEO shares the appropriate information in order to retain transparency in how we deal with disruptive members to our community.

If you notice any inflammatory remarks from Torinth directed towards the UFP in-game or on the official Star Trek Online forums, we'd like to please ask that you simply ignore him and report any abuse to a GM or moderator.

Should you have any questions, please feel free to post below. If you have any serious concerns, we ask you to contact a member of the Federation Executive Office privately by forum PM or TeamSpeak.
    FEO
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Sun 28 May, 2023 6:07 AM

34.47% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 06 May, 2022 12:07 AM

0.54% have received this achievement

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commander

Unlocked Sat 25 Sep, 2021 9:02 PM

0.64% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Grandfathered

9.75% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Mon 28 May, 2018 12:08 AM

75.46% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Being the nosey g*t that i am, it was a very informative read, though i do feel this should of been made more private as to bring light the issues Torinth has coursed, though personally he has never done anything to offend me, and i quite liked him on occasion. but i do feel it was unneeded to post all this, but feel it was correct to post that he had been removed from his position, i am aware that this message in itself is a wee bit contradictory but somehow some way i think i know what i mean, i can only hope you guys do too.

No Offense meant by this, just my 2 cents
    Phoenix
    "Phoenix Arms....Your enemy will go down in ashes" - Bill
    Phoenix Medals
    • Academy Dean
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of Starfleet Academy

Unlocked Thu 21 Jan, 2016 8:02 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Unlocked Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:06 PM

0.50% have received this achievement

• Part of the Furniture
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for two years

Grandfathered

95.14% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Fri 25 Nov, 2022 11:05 AM

• A Heartfelt Thank You
      Rare (50 Points)

Donate over £100 to the UFP

Grandfathered

0.36% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Being a former community leader elsewhere, I've seen how operating in the shadows with these kind of decisions is not healthy for the community. I feel the post was unbiased and to the point without unnecessarily diving into specifics but had to deliver the necessary information in this case the facts and events around Torinth's strikes that lead to the decision of his removal. To boot, Torinth was a public figure here and I feel it was more than necessary to acknowledge that something had happened here.

Personally, while I had very limited interaction with Torinth, I liked the guy. I wish him well and hope he can heal and grow past this.
    Mazoue
    Mazoue Medals
    NOSCE•TE•IPSVM•ET•ESTO•LIBER | KNOW YOURSELF AND BE FREE
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Wed 03 Jun, 2020 6:09 AM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Wed 22 Sep, 2021 12:02 AM

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Fri 01 Apr, 2022 12:27 PM

0.46% have received this achievement

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

Be the Commanding Officer of the Roleplay Division

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Sun 01 Feb, 2015 1:01 AM

0.69% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I'll come out of my lurk shadows and agree with Mazoue. I butted heads with Torinth a few times, but in most cases those were just disagreements. It happens, and it is a shame that Torinth had things happen to this degree and such. I, too, wish him well and hope he finds a good gaming group and social community. He will indeed be missed for the multi-faceted skillset he provided UFP.

Caymen
    CaymenGreener
    CaymenGreener Medals
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Sat 28 Sep, 2013 10:08 PM

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Unlocked Sat 28 Mar, 2015 11:13 PM

0.67% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Mon 26 Jan, 2015 2:02 AM

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 22 Jan, 2022 3:02 AM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    To boot, Torinth was a public figure here and I feel it was more than necessary to acknowledge that something had happened here.

Personally, while I had very limited interaction with Torinth, I liked the guy. I wish him well and hope he can heal and grow past this.
    That was the intention Mr. Maz, and despite what occurred I share your sentiments.
    McClintock
    McClintock Medals
    McClintock Quote
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 28 Nov, 2020 1:07 AM

• Head of the House
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of the House of Kular

Grandfathered

0.05% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:10 PM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Grandfathered

0.50% have received this achievement

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Well this is a bit of a shock, I knew Torinth could be abrasive at times, but I did get along with him most of the time.
    While it sad to see him go, I can understand and see the rather big line he crossed, and thank FEO of being so open on the matter.
    Dodgers
    Dodgers Medals
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Tue 22 Aug, 2017 11:01 PM

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Grandfathered

28.09% have received this achievement

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Unlocked Tue 01 Sep, 2015 5:05 AM

13.00% have received this achievement

• Command Material
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Academy Command Exam

Grandfathered

4.57% have received this achievement

• Lieutenant
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Lieutenant

Unlocked Sat 24 Mar, 2018 10:58 PM

1.19% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Fri 04 Mar, 2022 11:06 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Wow, that was unexpected. As other had stated, I didn't have problems with Torinth, but if this is indeed what had happened, then I understand the decision that was made. Thank you for being open on the matter.
    • At the Helm
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of Starfleet Operations

Grandfathered

0.07% have received this achievement

• Battle Hardened Leader
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of the Elite Strike Force

Grandfathered

0.03% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Fri 08 Nov, 2013 5:40 AM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Vice Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Vice Admiral

Grandfathered

0.27% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:08 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I personally agree with postings of this ilk. It stops the rumour mongering as to why these sort of decisions are made.

Decisions like this are not taken lightly, and are therefor few and far between, but Torinth has been given every opportunity in the past to see the error of his ways.

I too, in the past had disagreements with Torinth, some private, some public, but on rare ocassions, we got along when we had common ground.

These things happen, we are human after all, so i will say i wish him good luck in his future endeavours, wherever they may be.
    JakeTyler

JakeTyler Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sun 28 May, 2023 6:07 AM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 06 May, 2022 12:07 AM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Sat 25 Sep, 2021 9:02 PM

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 28 May, 2018 12:08 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    never thought of it like that Jake, and btw just be the first to say it, but we miss you bro!
    Phoenix
    "Phoenix Arms....Your enemy will go down in ashes" - Bill
    Phoenix Medals
    • At the Helm
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of Starfleet Operations

Grandfathered

0.07% have received this achievement

• Battle Hardened Leader
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of the Elite Strike Force

Grandfathered

0.03% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Fri 08 Nov, 2013 5:40 AM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Vice Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Vice Admiral

Grandfathered

0.27% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 13 Feb, 2017 12:08 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    never thought of it like that Jake, and btw just be the first to say it, but we miss you bro!
    Don't want to derail the thread, but, shucks, im fillin' up! and still lurking.....Evil
    JakeTyler

JakeTyler Medals
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Grandfathered

3.98% have received this achievement

• Part of the Furniture
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for two years

Grandfathered

95.14% have received this achievement

• Lieutenant Junior Grade
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade

Unlocked Mon 11 Feb, 2013 12:45 PM

0.56% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Mon 04 Jul, 2022 8:02 AM

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Tue 04 Jul, 2017 2:03 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I'd just like to say thank you for posting this explanation. Its always a good thing when any potentially disruptive or controversial actions are explained to the membership before the rumors can start flying.
    JamesRean
    JamesRean Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Fri 01 Oct, 2021 11:02 AM

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Sat 26 Sep, 2015 10:06 PM

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Fri 17 Dec, 2021 7:06 AM

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

1.91% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Sat 28 Feb, 2015 9:00 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I'm stuck on both sides of the fence on one side I can agree to the reasons for dismemberment and the other am not so sure on the matter being some what public it could have perhaps been posted in the command lobby. Yes He could on occasion be rude and brake the Code of conduct but dont we all from time to time its how we move on and progress I think we take it as a little salt or as a boot up the butt when called out for it by FEO.

The other Point that plays around in my head that perhaps does not need a reply is if FEO knew he had these issues plus past strikes why was he given a CL5 role, am sure out there people are saying I told you so or I saw this coming and I mean no disrespect but does this not perhaps show incompetence .
    Minnow Raydor
    Minnow Medals
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I'm stuck on both sides of the fence on one side I can agree to the reasons for dismemberment and the other am not so sure on the matter being some what public it could have perhaps been posted in the command lobby. Yes He could on occasion be rude and brake the Code of conduct but dont we all from time to time its how we move on and progress I think we take it as a little salt or as a boot up the butt when called out for it by FEO.

The other Point that plays around in my head that perhaps does not need a reply is if FEO knew he had these issues plus past strikes why was he given a CL5 role, am sure out there people are saying I told you so or I saw this coming and I mean no disrespect but does this not perhaps show incompetence .
    FEO wishes to thank you for raising some points there. With regards to the publicity of this issue, as mentioned it's our experience over the years with previous instances, that sharing information, even without supply of direct evidence (such is the case here), improves the trust the membership has in the decisions we make. Had we not disclosed to everyone of the decision and why it was made, it would likely encourage an atmosphere of secrecy and power plays.

With respect to Torinth's CL5 role, as per mentioned, FEO prefers to make decisions on a 'benefit of the doubt' basis. We invest time in any individual so that their behaviour amongst the community improves and we've been doing so for years. Admittedly, FEO does not always get this right and some members do not improve in their conduct. However we rest easy knowing that we gave such chances.
    FEO
    • Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Gold Subscription

Unlocked Mon 09 Jan, 2017 6:02 PM

0.36% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Mon 01 Jun, 2020 11:03 PM

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Set Phasers To Frag
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win an Annual Elite Force Tournament

Grandfathered

• The Never Ending Sacrifice
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win a Short Story Competition

Unlocked Tue 07 Feb, 2017 1:49 PM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 05 Oct, 2018 12:10 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I personally can't see any problem with this being so public, it doesn't make sense why anything would need to be a secret in a gaming community. I thank FEO for their tireless effort, and thank them for making this public.

In my eyes, it's much better to have it public than behind a CL4 barrier, as that just makes no sense. Plus, we all know what Torinth was like, both in the past and the present, and evidently this was going to happen at some point, was just a matter of when.
    Adster94
    Adster94 Medals
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:01 PM

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Sat 26 Oct, 2019 11:05 PM

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Wed 10 Jun, 2015 1:02 AM

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

1.91% have received this achievement

• Lieutenant Commander
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Commander

Unlocked Sat 19 Dec, 2015 10:02 PM

0.92% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Grandfathered

28.09% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    ive seen that keeping things hush hush in a fleet always comes back to bite you. glad to see some real transparency around here Smile
    EmiikoAkoremEmiikoAkorem Medals