Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

34.20% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Community Log for September 2015
    By LynxMukka and focusing on the recent feedback submitted via the Roll Call September Survey 2015

For those unaware, I currently lead the Federation Executive Office, which is made up of several community administrators who are all ultimately responsible for specifics areas that make up the UFP as a whole. I've been in the UFP for the past eight years and in that time I've worked in various positions before serving in the role that I do today.

"The Community Logs are a series of blog themed posts by the UFPlanets.com's leading administrators who update the community on the latest projects and work that is on-going."

The UFP has and always will be an evolving organisation, ever changing to the needs of the day by the various users and members that come through our doors. We’re able to do this, because we always have and always will, place an emphasis on getting feedback, suggestions and managing complaints.

250 of you (74 more people than previous survey), from the Starfleet Membership of the community, filled in our anonymous survey in which they were given the opportunity to provide an approval rating on the various areas of the community as well as provide written feedback on the running of the areas and the UFP overall. This post, is to allow FEO to respond to the feedback that we’ve received in order to hopefully be able to provide some better insight and information as to why it is so.

Let’s quickly see how the UFP performed during the survey shall we? In brackets, I've provided the percentage difference when compared to the survey conducted in June of this year.

Federation Executive Office
    26% - Strongly Approve ( 1%)
    43% - Approve ( 7%)
    31% - Neutral (▼ 3%)
    2% - Disapprove ( 2%)
    <1% - Strongly Disapprove ( 1%)
    News Services (FNS)
    27% - Strongly Approve ( 1%)
    35% - Approve (➲ No Change)
    36% - Neutral (▲ 8%)
    1% - Disapprove ( 1%)
    2% - Strongly Disapprove ( 4%)
    Our Web Services (Website, Forums etc)
    36% - Strongly Approve ( 1%)
    35% - Approve ( 3%)
    26% - Neutral (▲ 5%)
    4% - Disapprove ( 1%)
    0% - Strongly Disapprove ( <1%)
    Starfleet Operations
    29% - Strongly Approve ( 7%)
    41% - Approve ( 3%)
    30% - Neutral ((➲ No Change)
    <1% - Disapprove ( 2%)
    <1% - Strongly Disapprove (➲ No Change)
    House of Kular
    18% - Strongly Approve (➲ No Change)
    31% - Approve ( 1%)
    50% - Neutral (▲ 2%)
    0% - Disapprove ( 4%)
    1% - Strongly Disapprove ( 3%)
    Elite Strike Force
    16% - Strongly Approve ( 1%)
    26% - Approve ( 4%)
    56% - Neutral (▲ 1%)
    3% - Disapprove (➲ No Change)
    1% - Strongly Disapprove ( 1%)
    Starfleet Holodeck
    19% - Strongly Approve ( 4%)
    27% - Approve ( 4%)
    54% - Neutral (▼ 4%)
    1% - Disapprove ( 5%)
    1% - Strongly Disapprove ( 1%)
    Starfleet Academy
    21% - Strongly Approve ( 6%)
    31% - Approve ( 8%)
    45% - Neutral (▼ 13%)
    3% - Disapprove ( 3%)
    1% - Strongly Disapprove ( 2%)
    Community Events
    24% - Strongly Approve ( 4%)
    40% - Approve (➲ No Change)
    35% - Neutral (▼ 2%)
    2% - Disapprove ( 2%)
    0% - Strongly Disapprove ( <1%)

We've had quite a busy summer, as many of you will have noticed, not including all the things we've had going on behind the scenes (some of which was revealed at last week's Community meeting). As a result, I suspect that has meant it's had a positive impact on the survey results, which I think generally is on the upward trend. The following is feedback regarding FEO, our website and our events. I make this gesture, in order to be entirely honest, transparent and truthful regarding people’s opinions, because there really isn’t anything to hide. My only request when reading through this feedback is to remember:

• We’re a voluntary organisation made up of experienced people who spend their own spare time committing to work while others reap the benefits of it. All feedback is welcome and helps us to gather a feeling of the membership and take actions from that, but we have also observed that ‘sometimes it can be a lot easier to commentate from the sidelines than take part in the action’.

• Another observation we’ve found is that those who are pleased with the performance of the UFP and their experiences with us, tend to not submit feedback compared to those who have something negative to say, whether constructive or otherwise. Therefore the following feedback report may well skew more negatively than what is actually the case.

Feedback regarding the UFP as a whole or FEO

Every since CL6, Dentari has been saying very very very super mega mean things to me every day and something something! I am a bad liar, he was a strong addition to the team.
    I'm sure Dentari is thankful for your complement. Smile

I am content now that FEO seems to be moving away from the hardcore political mindset and political maneuvering that some members used to have. I also approve of the move allowing some new blood in the Executive Office, so that new people can truly show their potential, rather than just allowing the same old people access all the time.
    Thanks for the feedback Smile. Though I do have to argue on behalf of my former colleagues that they were very capable people.

I am only a few fleet days old, so I not have an adequate number of historical personal experiences with which to form an accurate opinion. I do appreciate how all of the command staff went out of their way to accommodate former 12th Fleet members and continues to do so.
    Thanks! It's been my hope that we've demonstrated what you've described, because the situation as it was with 12th Fleet I can certainly sympathise with. If now or in the future, you don't feel part of the UFP or are having issues, just get in touch.

I think the office is run well but the addition of someone like Seven would be a good addition to the team.
    Feedback such as this came back last time and as a result, I have to refer back to that answer: that potential FEO members are reviewed on a regular basis and always engaged with prior to make sure they're ready etc. FEO is always on the look out for people ready to take on more responsibilities (we're always needing people), so rest assured, it's not something we're turning a blind eye to.

There are some actions by FEO in the past few months that I've highly agreed with, and a few I disparage at. The exodus from the 12th seems to have given the community a nice boost in activity, which is giving us a bit of an artificial feeling of success right now, and I am concerned that our current direction will simply take us straight back to where we were in the middle of the summer by December.

I do hope I am wrong.
    Hmmm, well firstly, activity or morale within all communities go through peaks and troughs. When I look at the UFP's Fleet Manager dashboard (showing member numbers and Roll Call activity) and data from Google Analytics (which shows activity on the whole site), we haven't suffered from a trough for quite a few years now. In terms of health, the UFP has never been at such a high point.

I suspect what you're referring to, is the impact of decreased activity at the time when Delta Rising came out on Star Trek Online. I think it surprised quite a few people here how much the game continues to have an impact on daily activity/morale here. It's one of the reasons why for the past 4 years we've been persistent in developing ourselves as more of a general Star Trek website rather than one dependent on gaming alone. We have numerous projects in the works which we hope to launch by the end of the year which will continue us on that endeavour. So when you say continuing on our current direction, I don't know what you mean, can you explain further?

Good interaction and participation with LynxMukka, Cehus, and Dentari. They feel involved and seem to try to get to know members.
    Thanks!

FEO has been good. Granted, we have occasional "problems", but since I've grown up, I can take the information and use it to better myself. I do wish there were more NA people on FEO, but that is not my call.
    Thanks for the feedback and you're probably right in that it might be beneficial to have more North American people in the Federation Executive Office, but as I and my predecessor have always said, those who are invited into FEO are judged based on their character, achievements and capability etc. As far as we're concerned, that is the fairest way to decide the composition of FEO over inviting someone in simply based on their geographical location etc. Hope you can understand where I'm coming from.

It has been my pleasure to work with the members of FEO throughout my time here, and they are a great bunch of people to talk to. However, I am deeply concerned with the Head of Member Experience and their current level of activity. Sadly, we as a community have seen very little coming from this position, with the actions that do get conducted being 'filler' activities with little purpose other than to give the position some minor task to accomplish to look busy. This has been a theme that has plagued the External Affairs position as well through the delegation of every work role and the establishing of a minor supervisory role before moving to another position. FEO seems to be a very close knit group with each person having a set amount of responsibilities, with tangible gains being shown with the spare time they can dedicate to the position; but the Member Experience role just hasn't shown the initiative or activity that we have come to expect from the rest of the FEO members. This is not said to upset anyone, but just in the hope that they can find a position where they can truly start contributing and get out of the dryspell we have witnessed over the last year. The position has such a vast scope that could be being done, but just has not had the intitiative or time invested to push it forward.
    With respect to this feedback, I believe you're referring to Cehus. Firstly, I believe Cehus will have read this already and taken the feedback on board. Secondly, on a more general note, I am responsible for monitoring the activity of individual FEO members on a continual basis and naturally, activity from any member of the UFP is subject to peaks and troughs as things happen in real life (which always comes first). When evaluating someone and their continued FEO membership, I have to consider their current level of activity, alongside any previous levels, their previous achievements and displayed capability etc. So most of the time, if someone isn't as active as they once were, sometimes their previous work can outweigh any short-term need to re-evaluate their membership etc. The entries and removal of FEO members is not done lightly, because of the needed stability of the organisation.

I would like to think therefore that, even if someone isn't performing at 100% at any given moment, they will do again shortly and be given a chance for that or will be reasonable in perhaps re-thinking their abilities to contribute at a CL6 level etc.

You guy do excelllent work.
    Thanks!

Demjari is getting too powerful, he must be stopped before FEO becomes part of FAB. I have seen it in the stars -Prophet Rog
    Let me know which stars you're looking at, I'd love to get in on whatever it is you're selling.

At times I feel like their is to much formality and to many processes to some things. I understand it. But I feel it isn't always needed. It can be a bit off-putting.
    It's difficult to comment on without more information but can you contact me privately?

Could use some improvement in it's format
    How so? Could you perhaps share some ideas with me etc? I'm always open to improvement and sometimes it's difficult to evaluate things when you're on the inside etc.

There are some things that cannot be forgotten. May change in time, but, you asked Smile
    Fair enough, these things can happen sometimes.

Try to run the UFP less than a company, and more than a gaming community it is way to over-bureaucratised.
    How do you believe the UFP is run like a company? There have previously been attitudes that would perhaps like to move that way, but I think we've moved past that for some time now. As far as I can see, we are formalised in some areas, but that's necessary because of our size and our desire to get things right in giving everyone a great experience.

I would argue that in the areas where we are formalised, it's likely because things would be a mess if not or at least opens us to increased risk, likely security wise.

I've seen some improvement, but more visibility would be good.
    So long as you've seen improvement, I think that's a good start. Thumbs up

I generally approve, however, there is very little interaction between the FEO and the membership. At least in my view.
    This has come up the last couple of feedback surveys, suggesting it's an on-going issue. Though based on feedback such as the one prior to this one, it's my belief that things in this area is getting better. There's more work to be done, but we're making progress.

Very helpful and friendly
    Thank you, means a lot. Cool

When is three of seven going to be added to the team? I know i am not the only one asking this and she has been more than ready for almost a year, its disappointing her efforts have not been recognised, particularly when there are FEO members who don't seem to do alot.
    Yes, a couple of people seem to be asking that question. The only answer I can give is the one I provided a bit further up the page. Smile

Less drama than in years gone by. There have been steps in the right direction with hopefully more to come.
    Thanks, it's always our hope to keep improving, keep heading in the right direction. Cool

Haven't been here long enough to rate it.
    I have not been in the fleet long enough to say.
    No idea at all. Just got here.
    Just joined.
    That's ok, whoever you are. But all I ask is that during the next Roll Call in December, you fill in the survey then to let us know how we're getting on!

Feedback regarding the Website

We now move onto covering feedback regarding the Website and other engineering services.

It is very good.
    Best. Fleet. Website. EVER! Seriously.
    Quality and utility are exceptional, and the support has been nothing but perfect.
    Everything is very well done and very slick. The invitation system for the fleets is well thought out. Your time scheme for events is very consistent and excellent. Your event system in general is awesome.
    Amazing website. More of an adjustment than anything else. I think the hardest thing about it is at some points your not sure if something is cosmetic or an actual 'button'/link. But again, it will just take getting used to!
    The 12th fleet forums were easier to navigation but I also had four years to get used to them, I am sure I will get used to this format.
    Website is gud
    Easier to navigate than previous incarnations.
    Never had a bad word against the website.
    Great Job!!!!!
    I love the website!
    Always been very fond of this website, there isn't a trek one that comes close!
    You guys are doing a great job! Keep up the good work.
    No complaints here. Website looks brilliant and has plenty of great features.
    Thanks very much everyone, the continued positive feedback reassures us the site has been time well spent!

Just hard to find roll call Smile
    Possibly, though that said, if a member has yet to sign Roll Call, it forces you onto the signing screen until you've done so; therefore admittedly, I'm not sure what's causing the issue here? Confused

To be honest, I found the navigation to be a bit confusing at first. Unfortunately, instead of the confusion passing as I became more familiar with where things were located as I expected, I experienced frustration when, on two separate occasions, I tried to find information that I had read previously and was unable to do so. It was certainly nothing critical, but it was something that stuck in my mind at the time. Still, the amount of useful information in the site as well as the utilities it offers fleet members outweighs that brief time of frustration and leaves me with an overall positive opinion of it.
    As some of my answers will hint at in this log, as well as in June's Community Log, accessibility and ease of use of the site is something we've been constantly evaluating. We realise that the way we've structured our website alongside the design has meant some things are not easy to find. We're truly working on solving this very shortly.

Navigating the actual forums is easy and well done. Kudos for the design. The actual articles or threads you once read that you want to go back to are kind of a bear to dig through to find again. Not sure if a better search feature is available or possible?
    Thanks for the feedback and don't worry, the search feature on the next iteration of our website is getting a massive upgrade, so stay tuned.

Its kind of hard to find things. For example, where are ship build discussions? Wish there was a specific forum called Ship Builds and another for Ground Combat.
    I don't know whether you're also author of the proposal that came through a few weeks ago, but this is happening, very shortly!

At times the site can be a bit bulky to load.
    Surprised Jordan will be saddened by this bit of feedback, since he's very aggressive in cutting down any and all site load times! That said, in future improvements we have planned, we're cutting them back even further!

I think there is still room for improvement and streamlining. But in general the website is easy to use once you can figure out what is what. Maybe adding a tutorial of how to use the site and not just a verbal description of where to find things would help speed up the process of getting oriented with the site itself. LCARs is a cool visual but when used to convey information, as many of the actors and crew of Star Trek shows have said, its not easy to do.
    You're certainly right and usability/accessibility of the site is something we're constantly learning from and improving upon. This is something we're actively doing right now.

The font can be a little difficult to read at times.
    We've had a few people mention this and we're bearing this in mind for future reference. From a design perspective we love the fonts, but accessibility-wise, we realise they're not always the best thing.

I don't visit the website often, but when I do I spend a lot of time searching for what I am looking for. An example would be I was looking for the fleet uniform guidelines and it took me at least a half hour to find them.
    I spend a lot of time trying to figure out where things are on the web site. That is one of the reasons I haven't used the website/forums for much other than roll call.

With respect, but I've done a little test and the uniform regulations threads appear on the first page of the search results. That said, our search should and will be better and you're right that the information should be easier to find. We have some big things planned which will hopefully address this. Smile

I sometimes find the font and text colours difficult to read, particularly if there is a lot of text on screen. This is primarily on the "Home" page. The forums topics are ok but the thread and forum titles suffer from the same problem.
    As per mentioned, this is something we're currently reviewing and correcting etc.

High on the quality, but low on the ease of use. A newbie here has a lot of trouble finding anything they want or need.
    I've talked about this a little in some of my other responses and I'll reiterate that we're still listening and intending to improve. Though admittedly it remains a difficult balance between retaining the LCARS feel (which was never designed to be used as a web design lol) and keeping accessibility. Though it's certainly a big improvement from our previous LCARS website.

The structure needs to improve much more, maybe ask the members what they would like to see, projects like the Achievements System should finally be finished
    The structure in terms of the website? We're always looking for members to tell us what they'd like to see though, it's why we have these anonymous surveys, a feedback form, community proposals area, forums and FEO members who, I hope, are approachable enough if you wanted to talk to us in person which you're more than welcome to do. I'm always encouraging members to feel free to let us know their ideas and we provide as many avenues as possible to enable that. Smile

Just with respect to the achievements system, it is in essence finished! Though as time goes on, we'll likely keep adding achievements as the UFP evolves, so I suppose from that perspective, it will never be completely finished!

Feedback regarding Community Events

In the last section of the feedback we’ll be reviewing here, we’re looking at comments pertaining to our hosted events

I will list some general comments below in which I’ll write a reply to all, and some which I’ll more personally address:

More social events, such as what we did recently would be good, maybe like the old holiday events but not themed, maybe.
    I agree, they've been fun and people always seem to enjoy themselves. I personally would like to see more fleet defences at our fleet meet-ups! Will pass this onto Three of Seven.

Besides being reunited with so many 12th members I thought had long since moved on, the number of events available and the frequency with which they occur is the currently the greatest reason I am thrilled to be here.
    Great, thanks for the feedback!

Always seems to be something running
    There is always something going on. The event planners are doing a great job.
    They happen
    Though I haven't got to attend any yet due to scheduling conflicts, I love how many events you have posted and how easy it is to get information about them.
    That's the aim of the game for us. Smile

Good amount for STO. Otherwise, I honestly, wouldn't bother with checking the forums. Seems very lacking in other newer and more modern games that a community like this can really join in together.
    What sort of games were you thinking? That aren't really any new Star Trek games coming out at the moment that a community such as ourselves can take part in and with respect to non-Trek games, this has been a sensitive area for us in the past (because we don't want to become a 'just another gaming community' website. We want to remain focused on Star Trek, because that's why we're all here.

That said, we do recognise there is a desire for playing non-Trek games together among members, which is why we have the Starfleet Holodeck division, led by Sammygm and recently appointed XO, Alexandria. If non-Trek games interest you, I'm sure they could do with your help. We're looking to expand the division as demand with the membership increases, so help us!

Not enough team events
    I would like to see a bit more for some of the lower level character/players. When I make a new toon it's harder to get a good event/group within the fleet to do anything with. Which isn't necessarily the fleets fault. But it would be cool to see some more low level events.
    I'll make sure this is passed onto Three of Seven. Smile

I have not been online to participate as of yet.
    Havent had the chance to take part in any just yet.
    OK, fair enough, make sure to join us soon though ok?

It is nice to have all these events do be a part of.
    Thanks!

Seen many event advertised, unfortunately only got to attend one due to time constraints on the weekend. Member hosted a build critique and provided excellent advisement for me.
    This is perhaps the weekly Tuesday event run by Bridger. I'm sure this bit of feedback will have made him very happy. Smile

They seem okay hopefully more people would show up and be part of this fleet
    Yes, we hope so too. Smile

No longer attend
    Sorry to hear, though can you tell us why? As you can see from our continual feedback, we're always trying to make improvements based on what members tell us!

Could do with info emails
    Hmm, like a reminder email shortly before the event starts? We already actually have this feature as well as the ability to add the event to your calendar, via iCal. When you go onto an event's information page, there's a mail envelope which you can click on and the system will send you a notification about the event via email.

Perhaps though, we could enable/disable it for all events a member RSVP's to based on a setting a member can change on the events homepage. Jordan and Sharpkiller will take this bit of feedback on board!

Wide range of events that cater to pretty much all interests. Want to see some more roleplay though.
    Is this within Star Trek Online or generally? Either way, we're like to as well, but we're in need of someone to run our Roleplay division, the Ares Project. If this is of interest, please get in touch ASAP!

could be more US time zone stuff on the weekends
    I can agree with you and it's something we're actively trying to address, both in the short-term and long-term culturally. That said, this issue came up more last time than now, which suggests we might be slowly improving.

If people wish to continue discussion on certain points, please feel free to continue it in this thread. For any personal issues or complaints, please get in touch privately.

Stay tuned for more announcements as we come to the end of September!
    LynxMukka Medals
  1. Fleet Admiral

• Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:56 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Set Phasers To Frag
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win an Annual Elite Force Tournament

Unlocked Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:24 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Top Brass
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach the highest Starfleet Rank

Unlocked Sat 17 Dec, 2016 10:30 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• To Infinity and Beyond
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach ten-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.02% have received this achievement

• Hearthstone Tournament Winner
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win the annual Hearthstone Tournament

Unlocked Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:08 PM

0.01% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    As always, thanks to the members who provided feedback and to yourself Lynx for responding! I would like to add additional comments to four of the event related comments.

More social events, such as what we did recently would be good, maybe like the old holiday events but not themed, maybe.
    I agree, they've been fun and people always seem to enjoy themselves. I personally would like to see more fleet defences at our fleet meet-ups! Will pass this onto Three of Seven.
    Meetups are always the most enjoyed and have the highest turnout but at the same time are the hardest to plan! I can try to make sure there are more of these occurring regularly. The upcoming UFPAC is also a great time for members to meet up, this is happening next weekend, as well as our STO gaming divisions hosting a raffle. If you have ideas on other social events you'd like to see then I am all ears! I have ideas of my own, so we'll see how those can work.

Not enough team events
    I would like to see a bit more for some of the lower level character/players. When I make a new toon it's harder to get a good event/group within the fleet to do anything with. Which isn't necessarily the fleets fault. But it would be cool to see some more low level events.
    I'll make sure this is passed onto Three of Seven. Smile
    Ah levelling events, even harder to plan than meetups funnily enough! It's hard to get steady attendance for them, but if there is someone who is willing to do them, I would strongly encourage them to do so! I'll see what I can sort out for levelling events, for team events, I might need more information since all of the events are run in teams (with the exception of social events). Perhaps it could be featured episode runs, those would certainly be a good idea to see!

Wide range of events that cater to pretty much all interests. Want to see some more roleplay though.
    Is this within Star Trek Online or generally? Either way, we're like to as well, but we're in need of someone to run our Roleplay division, the Ares Project. If this is of interest, please get in touch ASAP!
    I echo what Lynx has said, ontop of that I am looking into ways we can expand the roleplay that we can offer, if you are wanting to help and have idea, please do drop myself and/or Lynx a message! We would love to hear your thoughts Smile

could be more US time zone stuff on the weekends
    I can agree with you and it's something we're actively trying to address, both in the short-term and long-term culturally. That said, this issue came up more last time than now, which suggests we might be slowly improving.
    This is an area I really want to get working right, constant steps have been made to try and get more events in the US timezone, both on weekdays and weekends. I would love to hear anyones comments further on my Event Coverage Survey where I have been collecting the times given as to where we need to focus, I will then be able to pass this onto the gaming divisions for them to act on.
    • To Infinity and Beyond
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach ten-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.02% have received this achievement

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Grandfathered

0.18% have received this achievement

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.44% have received this achievement

• Civilian
      Rare (50 Points)

Leave Starfleet for a career in the Federation Government

Unlocked Thu 07 Nov, 2013 11:59 PM

0.09% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I was on LoA for the last survey but it is always nice to see people giving their feedback and that feedback receiving a response.

Whilst I have only just returned from LoA there were two things that I wanted to pick up on.

It has been my pleasure to work with the members of FEO throughout my time here, and they are a great bunch of people to talk to. However, I am deeply concerned with the Head of Member Experience and their current level of activity. Sadly, we as a community have seen very little coming from this position, with the actions that do get conducted being 'filler' activities with little purpose other than to give the position some minor task to accomplish to look busy. This has been a theme that has plagued the External Affairs position as well through the delegation of every work role and the establishing of a minor supervisory role before moving to another position. FEO seems to be a very close knit group with each person having a set amount of responsibilities, with tangible gains being shown with the spare time they can dedicate to the position; but the Member Experience role just hasn't shown the initiative or activity that we have come to expect from the rest of the FEO members. This is not said to upset anyone, but just in the hope that they can find a position where they can truly start contributing and get out of the dryspell we have witnessed over the last year. The position has such a vast scope that could be being done, but just has not had the intitiative or time invested to push it forward.
    Just returning from LoA I can't speak much to the activity level of specific people nor would it be appropriate for me to do so but as a former Head of Member Experience I thought maybe I could just touch on the role itself.

Member Experience is a very broad area, every interaction anyone has with anyone or anything within the community could be considered Member Experience, as such whatever you try to do in the role usually involves having to work with lots of different stakeholders, there is probably no single thing you could do or change that wouldn't have an impact on other volunteers within the community so anything you want to do will usually involve consulting them, getting their feedback, possibly making changes to what you wanted to do, getting agreement and then getting others to do specific things in their respective areas to enable a change to take place, that does mean that getting big pieces of work done can take longer than you would like.

Please don't think I am trying to criticise the feedback that has been given, I'm just saying that in my experience the amount of work being done and the amount of work that everyone sees can be two very different things and whilst that certainly isn't unique to the Head of Member Experience it is a position that by way of it's broad remit suffers from this to a higher extent than some positions.

Hopefully I have explained myself adequately if not though I would be more than happy to have another go at it.

There were a number of mentions about a desire for more events in specific time zones. I don't think anyone would object to there being more events available for more members but we do need people to run those events.

At the moment there are a number of such roles available in the COMMUNITY POSITIONS area. I think the minimum requirement in terms of events is one event per week which shouldn't create much of a barrier for entry to those interested in running events.

If anyone feel there aren't enough of the events you like at the times that you are able to play then I would strongly urge you to find out more about these roles to see if they might be suitable for you, alternatively if you know someone that you think might have what it takes by all means encourage them to look in to the possibility of pitching in.
    ChristopherHalsey
    ChristopherHalsey Medals
    "IMPOSSIBLE IS A WORD TO BE FOUND ONLY IN THE DICTIONARY OF FOOLS."
    - NAPOLEON BONAPARTE
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Tue 07 Dec, 2021 1:03 PM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.44% have received this achievement

• Battle Hardened Leader
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of the Elite Strike Force

Grandfathered

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 21 Dec, 2013 11:12 PM

0.46% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Grandfathered

0.48% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Maybe it's not kosher fro me to say this (And if it's not, feel free to remove!), but I do feel a need to say something that I think people tend to forget: Just because someone isn't in your time zone doesn't mean they are not doing their job.

Cehus is the member of FEO I have the most interaction with, and his job as head of Member Experience is something he takes incredibly seriously. Almost every interaction I have had with him has involved improvements for the UFP experience through every medium being used.

Hell, I've joked a couple of times that the dude could use with unplugging for a while.

He's an approachable guy. If you have an idea, comment, or suggestion, just let him know! I can say from direct experience that he handles feedback well, even if it is negative (Or something he didn't want to hear Smile ).
    Kains
    Kains Medals
    • Make It So, Number One
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be Starfleet Operations Executive Officer

Unlocked Sun 01 Nov, 2015 10:00 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Unlocked Sun 01 Nov, 2015 9:56 PM

0.67% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:01 PM

9.77% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

Unlocked Tue 16 Jun, 2015 4:16 AM

1.31% have received this achievement

• Battle Hardened Leader
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of the Elite Strike Force

Unlocked Tue 05 Jan, 2016 2:01 AM

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Tue 05 Jan, 2016 1:45 AM

0.46% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Kains and Christopher nailed it. It is difficult to reconcile the positive feedback regarding membership's experience and yet read how the head of member experience is not doing a good enough job. I think some members mistake forum activity with creating a medium for all members to enjoy, and creation of such a medium takes concerted effort. To attribute that effort to all, but the head of member experience is questionable. I am equally baffled by the reference to External Affairs. This community was one of the best prepared for the Armada roll out and OEA spearheaded that effort. I have interacted with many other fleets and getting a fleet event organized was a monumental task, let alone pull together an armada. Personally, not a fan of demagogues, but constructive criticism with concrete suggestions as always been welcomed.
    Ross
    Ross Medals
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Sun 17 Apr, 2016 6:42 PM

9.77% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Mon 24 Aug, 2020 3:03 PM

74.95% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

Unlocked Fri 25 Sep, 2015 8:06 AM

1.31% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Unlocked Thu 27 Aug, 2015 4:05 PM

3.99% have received this achievement

• Ensign
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Ensign

Unlocked Tue 25 Aug, 2015 1:56 PM

3.60% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Unlocked Tue 25 Aug, 2015 2:00 PM

28.11% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    With less than 5% dissapprove in every category and it dropping in pretty much every category I would say that is very good numbers.

That does not mean that things can't improve of course, but all in all I think it indicates that the fleet is in good shape.
    Thor
    T'Hor Medals