Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 2:28 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Tain
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Because story wise it makes the most sense? Do you really think that Discovery fits in between Enterprise and TOS with its superior technology? Everything in Discovery is so much more technologically advanced that it is just absurd and is honestly an insult to anything that came before DIS. Mycelium network, advanced holo projection for both communication and holodecks, advanced spaceships; All of that would easily fit in a post Nemesis show, pre TOS, not so much.

It is also terrible from a story aspect it not being post nemesis. There is absolutely no suspense in the story arc. We already know that the Federation is going to win, we know that Qo'noS is going to be destroyed, we know that the peace wont last and will start attacking each other again like a month after the events. Since the Pilot I knew I wouldn't have to worry about the Federation losing against the Klingons.

I would've rated Discovery's plot even lower if it weren't for the interesting Mirror sub plot.
    From a visual standpoint most of the TOS visuals needs ignored due to when eh show was made. Hell, we have more advanced technology today than the TOS USS Enterprise had. People will just have to use some imagination and understand that TOS was the 60's.

That being said, I view Discovery as a visual reboot and I'm okay with that. The time period to me allows for more drama, more interesting characters than the paradise of TNG+. I grew up with TNG and as a child I loved it. As an adult, it is kind of boring with DS9 being the exception. DS9 explored occupations, terrorism, religion, war. Heck, Sisko was the first Captain to have a family.

If you read the first Discovery novel it kind of explains the hologram communication and why it fades from being used.
    Rellimie
    Rellimie Medals
    • My 2 Cents
      Common (10 Points)

Post in a forum topic

Unlocked Sat 11 May, 2019 1:01 PM

• Firestarter
      Common (10 Points)

Start a new forum topic

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unlocked Sat 11 May, 2019 12:28 PM

• Qualified Officer
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Officer Qualification

Unlocked Thu 16 May, 2019 5:02 PM

• Got Orientated
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Orientation Assessment

• Becoming a Redshirt
      Common (10 Points)

Earn your first respect points

Unlocked Sat 11 May, 2019 4:02 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Morris
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by oliverbloke; Sat 11 May, 2019 4:37 PM.
    The only problem I have with Discovery (the visual stuff I can mostly accept) is the weird moral decisions of Starfleet. However much mental gymnastics I do I just can't get past the fact that the plan was to, as Burnham says, commit genocide by blowing up a planet. I get they were up against the wall and everything but it just feels awful to me, and a moral hurdle which I can't get over when it comes to the series.

We know Cornwall and Sarek signed off on the plan but how many people actually knew? Maybe if it wasn't a big decision by several people I could stomach it better but somehow I don't think so.

I don't want to wave the "Roddenberry wouldn't approve of this" card because it's always in the air whenever I look on the internet but the decision there when looking at his vision is questionable. I get the point is to show Burnham getting onboard with Starfleet values but I wonder whether those values have actually been sacrificed for a personal character arc.