ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Generator
    • Mack
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Scarlett; Sat 24 Mar, 2018 6:14 PM.
    Starfleet Academy, 2405 …

The four cadets hunched over the digital map displayed on the table. Each also had a PADD detailing the scenario: they were to portray a diplomatic effort to settle a city-wide dispute over where to construct a public transit system. Each of the twenty districts had their own interests which either supported or contrasted to an adjacent district. Paramount considerations were environmental impact and cost to the local government, yet other factors to the proposal were needed such as jobs and public safety. Ultimately, the circuit needed to satisfy the population’s many needs and interests … or at least try. The four groups in the class only had seven hours to analyze the situation and draft a proposal that revealed the most equitable solution.

+++
    After the first hour …

Jebal stood straight and crossed his arms. “This is impossible! There are too many variables to consider. No one would be happy with any proposal.” His Bajoran ear loop swung vigorously as he shook his head with frustration.

“That’s the point,” replied the Bolian, Hurte. She waved a hand over the board. “We are not meant to please everyone, just most of the population. The goal is to develop a cost-effective and efficient transit plan. This is not the Kobayashi Maru, so there is a winning solution. We just need to have a better plan the rest of the class.” She looked over her shoulder to the other groups similarly hunched over tables, tapping furiously on PADDs and having muted discussions.

Kathryn watched the exchange and then continued entering calculations on her PADD.

Steve waved a hand to get the others attention while also tapping on his PADD. “Guys, we need to start somewhere. Seven hours can go by quick, so I’ll throw something at the wall first, so to speak.” After tapping a few more keys, the city image added a golden-colored line that weaved around structures or ran parallel to roads. “Obviously, we can’t use flying transportation: the safety risks are too great for transport capacity desired. Ground vehicle transportation would require maintaining a fleet and scheduling which makes it inefficient. That leaves electro-magnetic rail. It’s faster, easier to maintain and schedule. Frankly, it’s the simplest solution.”

He looked over each shoulder as if to make sure no one was spying on them. “The other teams are likely to have the same consideration, so we just need to have a better route than they do.”

+++
    After two hours, outside the classroom …

Hurte raised the cool cup to her forehead and patted a few times. She looked to her group partner. “You’ve been pretty quiet through this project, everything okay?”

Kathryn took a sip from her own cup and shrugged nonchalantly. “I don’t want to come across as disinterested. Really, I’m just listening to ideas and crunching numbers.”

“Well, Steve has grumbled about your lack of input a few times.”

“Oh, really? Why didn’t he say anything to me?”

Hurte rolled her eyes. “You know him; he’s a nest-poker.”

Kathryn looked confused, “a … what?”

The Bolian looked over Kathryn's shoulder toward the classroom. “A nest-poker. You know, he likes to cause trouble without being obvious.”

Realization came to Kathryn and she giggled. “Oh! Right, yes. I suppose so. If he says something again, please tell him to talk to me and I’ll settle it.”

“Of course, I apologize for not saying something earlier.”

Kathryn smiled and the two took sips from their drink.

+++
    After three hours …

The Bajoran stood strait and stretched. Jebal spoke through clenched teeth as bones cracked from changing position. “Team, I think we are going to lose this round.”

Steve wore a frown as he rubbed weary eyes, “Only if we give up. We’re not even halfway through the time limit.”

Hurte kept staring at the map. “There are just a few districts where the simulations seem to falter.” She looked up to the other groups and saw a Rigelian cadet suddenly tap at his PADD forcefully before throwing it to the ground with a growl. It shattered, surprising everyone. He apologized before exiting the room in a huff. “At least we are not alone feeling frustrated.”

“I’ve got an idea.” Kathryn placed her PADD on the table.

“Oh, now she has idea?” Steve’s mood darkened quickly.

Kathryn sternly glanced at Steve acknowledging the barbed comment before turning to the others and calmly replied, “I know I’ve not contributed much except to support suggestions –“.

“You think?” Steve interrupted.

Hurte put a hand out as if to lower the tension.

Kathryn leaned on the table toward Steve and whispered, “We can either take it outside, or you can give me a minute. After three hours, that shouldn’t be too hard for anyone on the planet. Wouldn’t you agree?”

Jebal and Hurte looked to each other and silently agreed not to take sides.

After a few seconds without a response, Kathryn tapped a few keys on the table console and the map adjusted. The proposed transit line the team had developed shifted and symbols appeared under the line.

The group looked at the transforming image and the tension seemed to dissipate. Steve pointed at the table, “is that … do you mean to have an elevated railway?”

Kathryn smiled. “Why not? Instead of building a rail system through neighborhoods, how about over them?”

The other three looked to one another and then quickly grabbed their PADDS to key information as if to verify a new discovery.

Jebal looked up first. “But that’s not a part of the project rules.”

Grinning, Kathryn asked, “are there any restrictions to the solution?”

Hurte answered, “No. The only guide is for the districts and that we must negotiate an equitable solution to maximize benefit to the population.”

Jebal seemed to be stunned. He looked to the other groups. “So … we all assumed the mass transit system had to be built in the communities because we were given details to negotiate around them?”

Kathyn nodded. “Consider this scenario.” She tapped on her PADD, sending data to the table which started to run the simulation again. Numbers crawled along the four corner edges for each participant to see. Meanwhile, the image rotated and moved following design patterns from the data.

Steve’s eyes widened when the simulation ended. “That’s … too easy. There must be a problem with it.”

Kathryn shrugged. “Maybe. I’m not saying this is the best idea though. Let’s take a break for fifteen minutes. When we get back, let’s run some more numbers. We’ve got the time, right?”

+++
    The next day …

The instructor was reviewing the class project results. Kathryn sat in a chair facing the grizzled veteran-turned-instructor and was naturally curious why she was called to his office. Again.

He nodded without further inflection and lowered the PADD to the table. “Let me get to the point, Cadet. Your team’s solution to the problem, although not innovative, was also not expected, given the parameters. I’m curious how your team came to that idea.”

Shrugging slightly, Kathryn answered, “It was a team effort, sir. We brainstormed ideas and tested them until we found a solution that best fit within the goals of the project.” She smiled demurely.

The instructor copied her smile and then countered, “According to your classmates, you were the one to propose the solution and developed the base code while also working with their ideas.”

“They give me too much credit, sir.”

“Maybe so, but when three other Cadets tell the same story, then I wouldn’t call that a coincidence.”

Kathryn sat silently, unsure how to respond or if she even should to that comment.

The instructor continued. “Regardless, it was a good idea and resulted to the highest score for this project in three years. Your leadership is a testament to that fact. Well done, Cadet. Dismissed.”

---
    Cast for crew:
    Kathryn – Katheryn Winnick
    Steve – K.J. Apa
    Jebal – Cole Sprouse
    Hurte – Lili Reinhart
    Instructor – Bill Murray
    Rigelian cadet – Male street extra 1
    • The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 7:46 PM