Grandfathered

41.18% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Scarlett; Fri 20 Apr, 2018 1:37 AM.
    Kathryn looked up from the PADD to see streaking stars out the window of her quarters. Solaris had finished a supply run to Starbase 47 and was heading to Risa for some R&R at a comfortable Warp Four.

The PADD listed personnel that had perished while under her command within the last six months. The list was longer than Kathryn wished. The war with the Iconians and the recent conflicts with the Tzenkethi were taking tolls on Starfleet last seen during the Dominion War. Yet some losses were due to otherwise peaceful exploration and research. In that regard, her numbers were small, but they were still losses.

She tugged at the bun of red hair and long locks fell past her shoulder. The streaks outside abruptly froze and Kathryn felt a slight gust of air from behind. Confused, she turned and then fell back onto the couch from utter surprise. Almost reflexively, she called for a Security Team to her quarters.

The intruder was impressively imposing. Standing just under the height of Kathryn’s quarters, the giant male humanoid wore ornate black armor covering every part of his body. The helmet, in the style of a human skull, was obviously meant to command respect and instill fear at the same time.

Kathryn’s curiosity blended with concern. His appearance in her quarters was sudden and unannounced. Having already called for security, she doubted not much would stop him if he wanted to cause harm. How did he arrive? Where did he come from? Why was he here? Could she reach the phaser pistol in the cabinet? So many questions locked her mind as she sat gripping the cushion.

Several tense seconds lapsed until Kathryn spoke, forcing calm and patience into her voice. “Who are you?”

The giant’s voice was synthesized, menacing and slow. “I have many names. To you; Death.” Kathryn could tell his armored backpack was either a power source for the suit or further ornamentation that added to his bulky appearance.

Kathryn gulped and then pushed forward. “What do you want?”

“One of your kind may return.” One hand held a mace-like device with a winged-skull at one end. Raising it, the space between them shimmered as a humanoid slowly arrived into existence.

She stood when the human male coalesced into full reality. “Karl?! With a crisp clean uniform, Karl Melango also looked perfectly healthy. He did not move nor acknowledge his former Captain.

Death took a step forward, which thundered within the room. His return has condition: to have him, is to replace him. Another will return with me.”

Kathryn stepped forward and reached out to touch Karl. She remembered Camus II, the mission, the devastation, the mystery … and misery. Her fingers passed through him. Recoiling from the apparition, she then focused on the present and her confidence started to grow. “A quid pro quo? I must choose to have someone die, so that Karl may live again?”

Death nodded.

She was aghast. “That’s not a choice anyone should have to make. Karl is dead.” Sadly, she looked upon the visage of her past friend.

”Hear his plea.” Death spoke as if ignoring Kathryn’s logic.

Kathryn raised a hand to Karl’s face. “No, I refuse. For humans, death is final, even when it is not wanted or expected.”

Death leaned at the waist as if to scold as child. “Humans negotiate with Time. Do not preach to ME about the treatment of those that should be dead.”

Kathryn did not yield. “You have come here, unbidden, to change Karl’s timeline. To … negotiate. His time ended and should not start again. Especially at the cost of another’s life."

Standing straight, Death waved a hand and Karl disappeared.

Several seconds passed in silence. Turning to look at the frozen star streaks, Kathryn crossed her arms. “Many lives have been lost within my career and I remember them all. War and exploration takes a toll on mortality. I am not complacent in my commanding the lives of hundreds. I do not know where you came from or why you came to me here and now, but-“

The stars streamed again and Kathryn spun on her heels to look into an empty room.

---
    Cast for crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Voice of Death – Michael Ironside