Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

1.91% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by aceman67; Thu 21 Jun, 2018 1:07 PM.
    So, I've been batting around this idea for an original science fiction story for quite a while now (IE Years), even wrote a little bit out but I ran into dreaded writer's block so I stepped back.

Recently though, I haven't been able to write because I'm starting too (at least I think I am) develop tendonitis and it makes typing (or any repetitive activity for that matter) painful. I'm actually seeing my doctor about that when I get off work in a few hours.

The story outline is as follows:

In Spring 1958, an astronomer, having hiked up to the summit of El Capitan, sets up his telescope for the night in hopes of catching Sputnik 1 on camera, and he ultimately does. What he doesn't expect is to capture is something that would alter the fate of mankind for the next three hundred years: Gravitational Lensing of a star by a rogue black hole.

Everything that follows, the space race, the exponential development of information technology, the constant push for smaller, cleaner and more efficient power generation and storage, and eventually the development of interstellar travel. The real reason behind all of it was because a lone astronomer was in the right place at the right time, and saw what would ultimately destroy mankind's birthplace and spell the end of humanity if nothing was done to preserve it, with that reason kept from the general public at large. Only World Leaders, and the top Scientists and Tech Companies knew the real reason, and would be the greatest and best kept secret/conspiracy in human history.

All of this is explained through Naration by the main character in the form of an interview given when she's an old woman decades later.

The story picks up ~300 years later on Mars, a Colony still controlled by the United Earth government, with the Main Character, Jasmine Bhatia, a bright-eyed 6yr-old second generation Martian Colonist of Indo-Japanese decent sitting with her father in their living room watching a press conference as a scientist is announcing that he had developed an inter-stellar drive that would open up the possibility of exploration and colonization of other worlds. Next, Jasmine is excited to see her mother come on next to unveil that the first test of this new drive would be on an interstellar probe sent to a system known to have earth-like plants (this system will be made up but will have a Mars-sized planet with an earth-like temperate climate).

The scientist explains that the new drive is heavily dependant on the mass of the object being propelled, the smaller the vessel, the faster it can go. An interstellar probe the size of a common ground car could make the 5.6LY journey in ~15 years, but a larger vessel, like one with a viable colony population, would take upwards to ~80-100 years.

Fast-Forward Twenty years and we find Jasmine, now a fighter pilot and Lieutenant Commander for the Martian Armed Forces who had been fighting a failing bid for independence from earth over the last four years. The Mars forces were pushed back to the navel years around Phobos and were quickly fighting what would be the final battle of the war. The Mars government surrenders, but when Jasmine's carrier refuses to obey the order to lay down arms, she orders her squadron to return to their vessel to find that the Second Officer, also a Lieutenant Commander had killed XO, Jasmine's friend, who had command of the vessel because he didn't want to surrender. Jasmine knew this was Mutiny and rushed to the Bridge to put an end to it in order to save the lives of the crew.

What follows is a stand-off between the two highest ranking command officers with Jasmine ultimately winning out. They're then contacted by the Earth Forces commander demanding that the carrier stand down, which Jasmine quickly orders, but before formally surrendering, she summarily executes the mutineer in full accordance with Martian Military Law, while the whole bridge and the EF commander watched, because she knew that under Earth Law, he would be sent to prison. This act earned her the moniker "Ice-Queen of Phobos".

Around this time, a transmission is received, almost 5 years late, from the interstellar probe: The Planet they thought would be habitable was perfect. (This was already known by the Earth Government, but they send the probe anyways to keep up appearances).

5 years later, Jasmine's mother, now the lead engineer on the construction of a colony vessel, had pulled strings to have her daughter be the vessel's test pilot and ultimately secure her family's position on the colony trip itself. With the vessel nearing lauch, Jasmine goes out with what few friends she had on Earth to say goodbye, and winds up going home with a man she meets at the bar for a one-night-stand. Embarassed, she leaves the next morning with only learning his name: Eric Jacobs.

And that's what I have that's fully outlined.

What I have planned involves the vessel arriving at the planet 90 years later, and the colonists devastated by the truth of why they were sent out being revealed, but that is not all: The planet they arrive at is inhabited by a race of Feline humanoids, who are antagonistic at first but ultimately prove to be friends.

The ultimate climax of the story would involve the arrival of the remains of the Earth Military fleet that managed to escape the destruction of earth, led by the Same Commander that Jasmine had met during the Mars Independence war, who tries to sieze power over the new planet.

What do you guys think?

Any Ideas?

Possible Titles?
    abbe3e6f5a8febbb
    | Nemo Me Impune Lacessit | Art |Fan-Fics |
    Aceman67 Medals