• None
    • Users who liked
    • Silek
    • WelshAvenger
    • darthnovawave
    • LogicalLeopard
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Scarlett; Tue 15 Dec, 2020 8:15 PM.
    Author's Note: this was meant for the Writing Challenge ending today but it was closed Sad
    ___

The golden shimmer of successful transportation faded and Captain Kathryn Beringer slapped her comm badge. "Helm, emergency jump, Warp 7."

The Helmsman sounded confused. "Capta-"

"McKinnon, pick a direction, GO!" The air hummed as the warp engines suddenly roared to life before calming down into the background.

Unlocking her helmet and throwing it to the ground, she knelt down to injured crewman on the next pad. Most of his body was encased in crystals and within the structure his face was locked in a rictus of fear. A third member of the away team also knelt near the injured crewman and Kathryn raised a hand to stop him further. Dejected, he stood and unlocked his helmet, air hissing quickly.

The crystallized human was bathed in transporter light as he was moved to Med Bay.

Standing, Kathryn turned on her heels to the remaining crewman. "What the hell was that about, Karl!?"

Karl Melango stood akimbo and calmly responded, "Captain, we were under attack and I reacted."

She recognized Karl was visibly standing his ground. Such strength of character was perfect for Security detail and also why Kathryn preferred his presence on away missions. It also seemed slightly insubordinate, so was worth considering later. She pressed on the situation. "We had a holofield and the Tholians were not threatening us!"

He crossed his arms, a defensive posture. "From my perspective, they were about to discover us. While your focus was rightly on the instruments, one soldier came within a meter of the perimeter. Watching him, I perceived it could sense vibration frequencies emitted from the field. As you know, Tholians are sensitive to sonic disruptions and -"

"I'm cutting you off right there, Lieutenant." she raised a hand and used his rank to add gravitas. "As you know, research on dimensional portals is critical and Nukara is practically the perfect source in the known galaxy." She took a step closer. "You had orders: take no action without direct provocation."

Karl sighed. "Permission to speak freely, sir?"

Kathryn was quick, "Granted".

Taking a step closer, Karl lowered his voice. "My duty is to protect you, the crew, the ship and the Federation. In that order. I was confident the Tholian spotted us and was going to attack."

Kathryn countered with matching Karl's volume. "Then you didn't 'react', you presumed. That ruined the mission, endangered all three of us and resulted in Ensign Mechol's injuries. It seems to me you need to reverse priorities."

Karl paused for several seconds. "My feelings for you won't allow that."

Surprised by the revelation, Kathryn realized her jaw dropped. The engines of dimmed further until it was silent for a few seconds, then thundered as before signaling the Helmsman abruptly changed course in an attempt to hide the path Solaris was taking to escape any followers from Nukara.

"What?" Kathryn instantly chided herself for her naiveté. Recalling the many missions they had together, she could not recall any signals from Karl. Just as quick, she found comfort knowing his attraction was a well-kept secret until now.

He reached for her hand and wrapped it with both of his. "I'm sorry my actions caused harm to Mechol and I would gladly switch places, as long as you are safe." He stared lovingly at Kathryn and he gently squeezed her hand.

As Karl started to lean toward Kathryn, she caught herself not moving away, even if Starfleet regulations were very clear on what was about to happen. She was also surprised to be frozen in the moment while recalling one of the first lessons during officer training at the Academy: being Captain of a Starship can be a lonely career choice. Karl was ruggedly attractive and was usually of few words. He was a man of action and Kathryn appreciated that fact.

Only centimeters away, the moment between them changed when Ensign Claire McKenzie cleared her throat from behind the control console. "Um, sirs? Should I leave?"

___

Cast for crew:
    Kathryn Beringer - Katheryn Winnick
    Karl Melango - Jeremy Renner
    Claire McKenzie – Hayley Orrantia
    Travis Mechols - Freddie Prinze Jr

Heard, but not seen:
    Ian McKinnon - Ben Browder