ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • LogicalLeopard
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Stardate: 59001.37

Schrit smiled when he found his son at the first place he went looking. He was staring out at the zero g playground like he always seemed to be when he was upset. Not that he ever got upset like other children his age though. With him it was always internalized. As if showing the world outside that he was upset was somehow showing a weakness he couldn’t afford. Schrit walked up to him and sat down next to him. Danre didn’t look up though he did acknowledge his father being there. “So when are you leaving me?” he asked, no emotion noticable in his voice.

“That depends on you.” Schrit answered, guilty pleasure at the immediate reaction that got him carefully tucked away. “What…. Huh… how…”

Schrit put on his serious face and used his hand to turn his son’s face towards his. “Superman, I know you know me. I know you know that being here at Utopia Planetia and being a test pilot was for one reason only. To be able to take care of you.” Schrit told Danre. Danre nodded sadly.

“And you figure that I am now ready to do without you, go off to boarding school and be satisfied with you and me talking by subspace, be together when you’re on shore leave?” Danre asked. “If you want to boil it down to those basic things in essence, yes. Before you the only thing that really gave me joy and happiness was flying, duty and doing my part to defend the Federation and my shipmates. But I don’t have to tell you that do I?” Schrit answered. Tears welled up in Danre’s eyes.

“But I thought we’d be together until I went to the academy. I don’t want to loose you dad.” the little man said, tears streaming down his face. Schrit took his son into his arms, ruffling his hair. “Turns out we are very very lucky. If you are willing to give up the good life here on Utopia, and on Mars and go with me we can stay together.” Schrit dropped the bomb he had in his bomb bay. The silence accentuated the sobbing of his son as it abated, realization striking the mind of the kid. “Wait, what?” Danre asked lifting his gaze to meet his fathers.

“My new assignment. You can come with me. It wont be on a station or near a planet, so….” Schrit never got to finish the sentence. Danre swung his arms up from Schrit’s shoulders to wrap around his neck while he shouted.

“I don’t care, I am coming with you!”

The relief and joy that beamed from the child was palpable. For a minute or two the father and son sat in silence, enjoying just being together. Then the kid let go and sat back, wiping his face and trying to put up a back to business front on his expression. “So. Where are we going? Where should I have teach send my records?” he asked.

This is where a full on smile exploded onto the old man’s face, knowing how much of a history lovers they both were. He took a moment to organize his thoughts as to maximize the effect of the good news. “Well, it so happens I have been assigned to a sovereign class ship” he said, starting with the least remarkable bit of info. Danre’s face though lit up even more. “A sovereign? Gee, that’s awesome! The same class Captain Picard’s Enterprise! That’s great dad!!”

Still smiling Schrit went in for the “kill”.

“And we’re ordered to join them on the station where they’re undergoing a refit right now.” he said. Danre nodded, his mind still working over the Sovereign bit of information. “We’re going to Deep Space 9” Schrit added. That got an immediate and visceral response. “No! You’re kidding me? Right? You’re serious? Ofcourse you’re serious…. THAT”S AWESOME!!!” the kid said, jumping up and bouncing around with his hands in the air. “We’re going to ds9! We’re going to ds9! We’re going to DS9!!!!”Schrit got up and caught the little guy in mid air, hugging him tightly. “Yes we are! We’re going to see the station where it all happened. Maybe we’ll even get to meet ambassador Quark!” Schrit said. So how about us going to our quarters and get ready to get going huh?” he asked his son.

Danre let go of his father at that and started running to the turbolift. “Race you there!”

End of prologue.
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞