Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 24 Sep, 2022 9:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • AlexRider
     –  Last edited by Kiflin; Sun 10 Dec, 2023 6:59 AM.
    ARP 240

Ares Roleplay project
    Roleplay post format structures

Hello. This guide is to help our Simm members(and those whom are interested in joining in on the fun) choose a format in which to post their parts.

Overview

This guide will show what each format looks like, how they are structured & some helpful items that will make your posts look pretty.

Format 1: Detached speech

Detached speech posts are the easiest way to format & in the beginning, I used this heavily. It is a bit jarring to read, but it is easy to differentiate whom is talking, if it involves more than one character. It generally goes: Action>quote>action>quote. All character speech will be indented, with each character involved will be formatted differently. Example:

He approached the replicator, licking his lips. He was hungry.
    - Spicy Ramen with Pork Katsu, Hot.
    She approached her boyfriend, saying,
    - You do know that will mess your stomach up, right?

Format 2: Traditional paragraphs
    This format of roleplay is the most natural of the two. The story flows from paragraph to paragraph & is much easier to understand. You can pack a lot of story beats in this.
    Example:

He approached the replicator, licking his lips. Feeling hungry, he said to the replicator, "Pork Katsu with shredded cabbage." His girlfriend sat at the table while he grabbed dinner, saying, "Hear anything about your transfer?" Sighing, he said, "Denied, again." Looking concerned, she asked, "What happens now?" He looked down and said, "Back to scrubbing the toilets, I guess?"

Header formatting
    Putting a header in your post is practically essential. It helps establish where & when your post is. You can still establish that information in the body of your post, but having that up front helps alleviate a lot of confusion.
    Example:

Planet or ship
    Specific location on Planet/Ship

When the post happens

FAB spacer small
    ^^^^^This bar is COMPLETELY not required, but it helps pretty up your post^^^^^

Joint posts
    What if you want multiple players in on your post? Its as easy as tagging the specific person you want to join in. It might be much easier to do a Joint post over Private message as to not clutter up the actual posts. When it is agreed by both parties that the post as reached its conclusion, whomever started the post can post the finished work. When you do, please note in the first line that this is a joint post with the contributor's name included as a courtesy.

When posting a JP that has multiple PCs involved, make sure that the post is complete. If you are involved in the post & you find certain parts missing, let the poster know so that the mistake can be fixed.

In Closing
    All of the above is just a guide & is NOT required. Just make sure it is relevant to the story.
    JoshBroughm
    JoshBroughm Medals
    • Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 23 Mar, 2019 11:47 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:41 PM

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:02 AM

34.20% have received this achievement

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 05 Oct, 2018 12:14 AM

0.54% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 2:22 PM

0.32% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Kiflin
    It's a good start. Creative writing really doesn't have any 'rules' as it is art. How can one apply rules to art? Instead, there are suggestions.

Personally, I find Format Style 1 hard to read. It is a bit hard on the eyes as the punctuation does allow the reading to flow like a novel or story. It may be fine for a play or script to be read by actors/directors. But as a reader, it is like sandpaper on my eyes. Sad

Style 2 can be a bit long too. Reaching back to composition "guidelines", a paragraph should have one topic sentence, a few supporting sentences, and a conclusion sentence. If you group too many topics, the paragraph point tends to get jumbled.

Creative Writing sources in regards to fiction writing (general, fanfic, etc), seems to suggest 1-8 sentences a graph. Also, paragraphs should end when the voice changes, time changes, something new is introduced, a setting changes, the "camera" moves, or basically something new is happening. That allows the reader's mind to absorb your details and grasp your points better.

Lastly, and please no one take this the wrong way. The Ampersands (i.e. &) vs. "and" in writing. Professionally, ampersands are used in titles, signage and website buttons where space is limited or the ampersand is part of an organisation’s branding. Whereas, in written prose "and" is preferable. I do understand that in the era of 'texting', that abbreviating happens. Yet, I guarantee you that if you turned in a written composition or essay to any professor or person who had to review your writing with ampersands instead of the written "and", you would likely get some comments.

In summary, you can disregard everything I have said in the above. It is just my personal opinion as a fanfic writer. I read a lot and write a lot. But like anything, this is art. Thus there is really no 'wrong' way. However, just as in art, not everyone will fine it to their tastes.

We all write as we find enjoyment in it. Sorry for sounding like a strict english composition police.
    Silynn
    Silynn Medals
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Mon 26 Aug, 2019 11:07 PM

34.20% have received this achievement

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

Be the Commanding Officer of the Roleplay Division

Unlocked Wed 23 Jun, 2021 10:02 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Unlocked Wed 23 Jun, 2021 9:11 PM

0.48% have received this achievement

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Unlocked Tue 31 Jan, 2012 5:44 PM

0.67% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:01 PM

9.77% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 24 Sep, 2022 9:00 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    It's a good start. Creative writing really doesn't have any 'rules' as it is art. How can one apply rules to art? Instead, there are suggestions.

Personally, I find Format Style 1 hard to read. It is a bit hard on the eyes as the punctuation does allow the reading to flow like a novel or story. It may be fine for a play or script to be read by actors/directors. But as a reader, it is like sandpaper on my eyes. Sad

Style 2 can be a bit long too. Reaching back to composition "guidelines", a paragraph should have one topic sentence, a few supporting sentences, and a conclusion sentence. If you group too many topics, the paragraph point tends to get jumbled.

Creative Writing sources in regards to fiction writing (general, fanfic, etc), seems to suggest 1-8 sentences a graph. Also, paragraphs should end when the voice changes, time changes, something new is introduced, a setting changes, the "camera" moves, or basically something new is happening. That allows the reader's mind to absorb your details and grasp your points better.
    rment is
    Lastly, and please no one take this the wrong way. The Ampersands (i.e. &) vs. "and" in writing. Professionally, ampersands are used in titles, signage and website buttons where space is limited or the ampersand is part of an organization’s branding. Whereas, in written prose "and" is preferable. I do understand that in the era of 'texting', that abbreviating happens. Yet, I guarantee you that if you turned in a written composition or essay to any professor or person who had to review your writing with ampersands instead of the written "and", you would likely get some comments.

In summary, you can disregard everything I have said in the above. It is just my personal opinion as a fanfic writer. I read a lot and write a lot. But like anything, this is art. Thus there is really no 'wrong' way. However, just as in art, not everyone will fine it to their tastes.

We all write as we find enjoyment in it. Sorry for sounding like a strict English composition police.
    When I helped start the August Simm WAAAAAY back in the day, we had a special site to do our thing. Everyone's style is going to be different. The ONLY requirement is to have fun.....and to make sure your posts make sense LOL.
    JoshBroughm
    JoshBroughm Medals