DEPARTMENT REVIEW:
    NOT REQUIRED

Strongly Approve: 16%
    Approve: 15%
    Neutral: 68%
    Disapprove: 0%
    Strongly Disapprove: 1%

Seems like a Reg Barclay fantasy
    Josh: That's my fault. Felt like the story got away from me.

I enjoy people being able to freely express themselves within a RP standpoint. But there also needs to be some kind of structure regarding real objectives being created, and completed if you are going to promote within an RP format. I took the time to read all of the Ares posts up until now. And I can honestly say I couldn't tell you that much of anything because of everyone posting what really seems like individual stories within Ares. I had to take several breaks while catching up on the chapters because of just how everyone seemed to be writing in different directions. Ares would be very difficult for the average rp'er to jump into if they tried to get caught up on everything like I did. There simply is no overall scope or direction in the story. Seemed more like random acts against the ship rather than the crew solving problems or being proactive instead of just having to be reactive to what is done to them. The other thing I noticed is that no one else had created a story within the free story area since 2017. I think this is very telling. It would seem that if people believe there is no pathway to being promoted, or be recognized by writing free stories then they won't continue to do so. I think this definitely needs to be addressed because it curbs creative thought for RP outside of Ares. I believe that Ares RP could be very instrumental in bringing chemistry between large groups of Rp'ers together through solving clear problems, meeting objectives and also having a level up sort of progression. That way their characters are rewarded in a clear concise way, and it's understood by everyone because it's clear delineated. This is paramount if you are going to promote players that participate in Ares, just as you promote members who participate in other departments. If you have 12 players within a story they all should have clear jobs or responsibilities. The DM or story lead could create individual challenges for each to overcome, or collectively work together to solve. Is it is now it's a group of people writing what their characters are doing without any overall direction, other then here is where we are going. And we just got hit by enemy fire. Maybe splitting up groups of people into different ships with each player playing a specific bridge crewmember and possibly all ships collectively fighting together would have been the better approach. We have a great collection of writers in the story who paint awesome imagery. Lets meet their writing spirit with precise organization, and real goal driven story writing leadership.
    Josh: I understand your concern. With taking over the Simm, I should've stepped back a bit and looked at seen what we were dealing with. I was more concerned with getting this particular story finished & kinda.....HAMFISTED Max as a hero of some sort....And I didn't realize this until I was kicked in the ass. I will try to improve in getting more people involved in theses stories, which will happen. In my mind, combat is a good place to do some good RP and I NEED TO CHANGE THAT. I do thank you for your input

Big, Strong, Wow!
    Josh: DOGE I literally have no response for this

I have given up trying to read or follow this. Some writing is good, most is not. If this is supposed to readable, as most is not due to pure horrible syntax, then I feel a lot of FEO attention needs to be placed in it. Right now, it feels like it is just mental vomit of ideas.
    Josh: Some of our members do have an interesting writing style. I used to do Action, then speech indented with different characters getting italics, bold, or underlined. FOR SOME REASON, I changed it to a very poor Paragraph system. I do not know why. I'll work to get the simm up to snuff.

A key concept to writing is that it should not give the reader a headache to try to make sense or decipher the main idea of a paragraph. Run-on sentences and poor use of grammar (using the ampersand as substitution of the word “and” is a key example) just makes one ignore reading someone’s work. If one does not follow at least the basic semblance of grammar or literary rules, one should not expect others to read their work.
    Josh: Part of that is my fault and i'm actively thinking through what it will read like as I type now. This is a Learn as you go thing, for me.

Overall direction of the story feels disjointed and disconnected. From previous “Chapters” it felt like a collaboration of work. The recent story arc has no logical sense that one can follow. What is the main point of this project?
    Josh: When we started this, our story was to be one of exploration. THEN THINGS HAPPENED, losing three COs over the two(?) years we were live and we did lose the plot. I hope we can get things back on track.....I HOPE.

To a reader, it seems like the direction is missing, as well as any polish. I feel disappointed and let down by the staff. It is like they took a Star Trek story and turned it into a WWF style comic book. I know this is harsh, but the UFP allows this level of work shows the UFP’s leadership view of good writing of Star Trek fiction.
    Josh: I am a wrestling fan, TBH. I never intended my writing to be LIKE THAT. LOL I feel that's on my end with this chapter specifically. WelschAvenger gave me the direction to take the interlude & it sort of got away from me. I'll actively work to improve this.

Happy we're finally be going into a new mission. Curious to see where our Captain will be taking us, excited to be a part of it. I do still feel that we could do more in ways of recruiting and maybe showing some of the work we did so far as a marketing vector be more of a thing. I feel like if you're not already a member of the UFPlanets site you're never going to know that Ares exists let alone want to take part in it. Other than that, i'm loving every second i'm involved with it! "Mission 4, ENGAGE!"
    Josh: I'll admit, I have NO CLUE in how to market this. I'll be reaching out to other departments and ask for advice...INCLUDING FEO.

Nothing in roleplaying works because those here truly don’t understand Star Trek at all
    Josh: I've been watching since TNG, so......*Shrugs*

i have no clue. im not really into any kind of "roleplay" to be honest
    Josh: You should give it a go. Its fun, fun, FUN!!!

felt silynn was super rude in ch. 3 discussion she could have been more polite
    Josh: Didn't seem like that to me, TBH.

Nothing to complain.
    Josh: That's good to hear.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on this. It would REALLY HELP.
    JoshuaABroughm
    JoshuaABroughm Medals
    • Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 23 Mar, 2019 11:47 PM

0.13% have received this achievement

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:02 AM

15.06% have received this achievement

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:41 PM

0.19% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 05 Oct, 2018 12:14 AM

0.48% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 2:22 PM

0.24% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Kiflin
    • Josh Broughm
    • Eaglesg
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    felt silynn was super rude in ch. 3 discussion she could have been more polite
    I guess someone can't say something to me directly, as that was a personal attack... or that feedback? Nice.

Besides that, I applaud your responses Josh. Well thought and well said.
    Silynn
    Silynn Medals
  2. Ares Commanding Officer

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Mon 26 Aug, 2019 11:07 PM

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

Be the Commanding Officer of the Ares Roleplay Project

Unlocked Wed 23 Jun, 2021 10:02 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Unlocked Wed 23 Jun, 2021 9:11 PM

0.42% have received this achievement

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Unlocked Tue 31 Jan, 2012 5:44 PM

0.64% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Mon 28 Sep, 2015 8:01 PM

9.73% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 11:13 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I guess someone can't say something to me directly, as that was a personal attack... or that feedback? Nice.

Besides that, I applaud your responses Josh. Well thought and well said.
    Thank you.
    JoshuaABroughm
    JoshuaABroughm Medals
  3. Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Fri 01 Mar, 2019 1:01 AM

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Sun 31 Mar, 2019 3:00 PM

0.67% have received this achievement

• Command Master Chief Petty Officer
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Unlocked Sat 21 Dec, 2019 9:57 PM

0.02% have received this achievement

• Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet

Unlocked Sat 25 Sep, 2021 8:57 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Unlocked Sun 12 Aug, 2018 3:03 PM

28.40% have received this achievement

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the House of Kular

13.09% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Josh Broughm
    • Jordan
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I know I'm late to the party, but I'd like to give a few comments on some of the feedback from my perspective.

I enjoy people being able to freely express themselves within a RP standpoint. But there also needs to be some kind of structure regarding real objectives being created, and completed if you are going to promote within an RP format. I took the time to read all of the Ares posts up until now. And I can honestly say I couldn't tell you that much of anything because of everyone posting what really seems like individual stories within Ares. I had to take several breaks while catching up on the chapters because of just how everyone seemed to be writing in different directions. Ares would be very difficult for the average rp'er to jump into if they tried to get caught up on everything like I did. There simply is no overall scope or direction in the story. Seemed more like random acts against the ship rather than the crew solving problems or being proactive instead of just having to be reactive to what is done to them.
    It may look different from an outsider's perspective, but internally, I thought the Ares missions were pretty clearly laid out. They kind of take the same sort of pattern as the shows. You've got an A plot, a B plot, etc. With the last chapter, you had different departments tasked with doing different things to help out the mission. Security was doing one thing, Engineering another, Medical a third, etc. And then we all sort of came together for the Wallace Barron storyline at the end.

However, with the Interludes, my whole concept on that was that it's a time to take a break from the normal plot and do your own stuff. And as you can see from the stories, you had everyone doing a lot of different things. Schrit and his son are exploring the station and settling into their quarters, Jei had an amazing storyline centering on her character that flipped back and forth through her history, Biiqs wrapped up a personal plot from Chapter 2 and was pretty much MIA for most of the time, and at the end, Max, Schrit, and Thane came together for a more Max-centric storyline. The interludes may be harder to follow, but I think they're fun because you get to have the writers tell you stories about their characters that you wouldnt normally see.

I will admit, it is pretty hard for someone to consume all of it from the outside, because there's a lot. But when I joined, I dont remember having any problems following the basic storylines in the first chapter. I will keep an eye on that as I write now, so thanks for bringing it to our attention.

Overall direction of the story feels disjointed and disconnected. From previous “Chapters” it felt like a collaboration of work. The recent story arc has no logical sense that one can follow. What is the main point of this project?
    That's what I was trying to say about the Interludes above. They dont seem to make much sense, because they're interludes. Some of it may build off of the stories in the past, some of it may tease stuff for the future. Some might not seem connected at all. It's like an interlude in a book. Or even a Short Trek.

To a reader, it seems like the direction is missing, as well as any polish. I feel disappointed and let down by the staff. It is like they took a Star Trek story and turned it into a WWF style comic book. I know this is harsh, but the UFP allows this level of work shows the UFP’s leadership view of good writing of Star Trek fiction.
    This may be another reference to the Interlude. I'm sorry you feel let down. But I do have to remind you that we are not professional writers, and we are not writing Star Trek fiction, per se. What we are doing is engaging in a collaborative writing process for fun. Fun has always been the element here, not the strength of the writing, or anything else. We do this because we enjoy the collaborative roleplaying process. There are areas of the UFP that allow for pure fan fiction. And there are tons of books and fanfiction written by professional authors and great, amateur writers. This is the place where you come though if you want to have fun writing with others, in my opinion. And sometimes, that fun involves a chair over the head, or an elbow drop off the top ropes.

I have great fun doing this, especially dropping in casual references and things. In my last post, I was doing joint post with Josh where my character was going to be promoted to XO. As I'm writing, I have my character kind of rush into the captain's quarters with something on his mind, and it just came to me, "Have him step over the back of the chair like Riker." *LOL* It's probably cheap and ridiculous to a lot of people, and some people might not notice it altogether, but I thought it was funny. Visualizing the interactions, hearing the character's voice in my head, plotting out my character's next actions, those are the fun reasons why I do this. I'm not trying to be Diane Duane.
  4. Simulation Officer

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Wed 03 Jun, 2020 6:09 AM

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Wed 22 Sep, 2021 12:02 AM

0.48% have received this achievement

• Civilian
      Rare (50 Points)

Leave Starfleet for a career in the Federation Government

Grandfathered

0.13% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.73% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Sun 01 Feb, 2015 1:01 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • LogicalLeopard
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    It may look different from an outsider's perspective, but internally, I thought the Ares missions were pretty clearly laid out.
    One thing I was working with Josh on was to get back to Ship's Logs, as that would help people catch up in summary format with what's going on. You wouldn't have to read all 200 replies in the thread, but could catch up with the logs and then go read and reply when you have time. So stay tuned everyone? Smile

They dont seem to make much sense, because they're interludes.
    I would agree for the most part, although I would opine that Interludes should not be terribly long. In fact, I would point to the Free Stories for Interludes that could happen all the time and not just in between missions. I'm not saying don't do them, but they will inevitably be harder for readers/guests/newcomers to follow and we should be cognizant of that.

Good feedback LL!
    CaymenGreener
    CaymenGreener Medals
  5. Ares Commanding Officer

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • LogicalLeopard
    • Kiflin
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I'm going to try to get everyone to post their personal sub-stories in free stories...or maybe make a S2 substories thread. Maybe just in the Free stories.
    JoshuaABroughm
    JoshuaABroughm Medals
  6. Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
    Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Fri 01 Mar, 2019 1:01 AM

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Sun 31 Mar, 2019 3:00 PM

• Command Master Chief Petty Officer
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Unlocked Sat 21 Dec, 2019 9:57 PM

0.02% have received this achievement

• Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet

Unlocked Sat 25 Sep, 2021 8:57 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

28.40% have received this achievement

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the House of Kular

13.09% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Kiflin
    • Caymen Greener
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    One thing I was working with Josh on was to get back to Ship's Logs, as that would help people catch up in summary format with what's going on. You wouldn't have to read all 200 replies in the thread, but could catch up with the logs and then go read and reply when you have time. So stay tuned everyone? Smile
    That's a great idea! It would make it much easier to follow along, and maybe read or browse through the actual entries at one's leisure. It would especially help new members.

I would agree for the most part, although I would opine that Interludes should not be terribly long. In fact, I would point to the Free Stories for Interludes that could happen all the time and not just in between missions. I'm not saying don't do them, but they will inevitably be harder for readers/guests/newcomers to follow and we should be cognizant of that.

Good feedback LL!
    I think this one ended up being long because of real life situations. COVID hit hard during the end of he last mission, and we had to drag ourselves across the finish line. After that, everyone needed a break. Actually, you can see my own personal break in the long amount it took for me to write part's one and two of Biiqs's night out on the Promenade. But yes, hopefully we wont have to do that again and real life stablilizes for everyone.

No problem, anytime!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm going to try to get everyone to post their personal sub-stories in free stories...or maybe make a S2 substories thread. Maybe just in the Free stories.
    I just had a mental image of a Biiqs story kicking around in my head. I'm going to have to maybe work on it for the free stories section. I guess it's also a great place to add stories to give some of our NPC's a little more color. There are several that I liked writing for.
  7. Ares Executive Officer

• The Never Ending Sacrifice
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win a Short Story Competition

Unlocked Sat 08 Apr, 2017 11:32 AM

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

1.99% have received this achievement

• Lieutenant Commander
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Lieutenant Commander

Unlocked Sun 17 Dec, 2017 3:54 PM

0.92% have received this achievement

• Old School Gamer
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Tactical

Grandfathered

6.91% have received this achievement

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Grandfathered

12.73% have received this achievement

• Command Material
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Academy Command Exam

Unlocked Sat 05 Aug, 2017 3:02 PM

4.59% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Josh Broughm
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I agree that the mission logs are a great way for new people to catch up on the main storyline. I hadn't thought about them nor looked for them but assumed they were still being updated occasionally. Didn't realize they weren't, but I agree they're worth the work they take to keep current for the potential and new players.

When I rejoined and enthusiastically began writing it wasn't until I had sent a JP suggestion that I learned the USS Ares was actually on a hiatus because of the Covid's RL impact. I think it was Welshavenger who went along with the JP and after that was posted Sillyn posted something and without an announcement or anything the posts kept coming and we were moving along the interlude into the rescue mission before we knew it. Maybe that's part of the causes of the prologue's lack of cohesion or direciton.
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞
  8. Ares Commanding Officer

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I'll agree, the interlude's been.......a jumbled up mess.....likely my fault, as I don't plan out things in advance. It goes from head to fingers QUICKLY.

For the Ship's log thing, I hope to get to that in Season 2.
    JoshuaABroughm
    JoshuaABroughm Medals