Unlocked Fri 03 Dec, 2021 4:02 AM

5.42% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Deep Space 9 is by far my favourite Star Trek show because of its focus on geopolitics and pushing the setting along.

By the end of the war, none of the 4 'big powers of the Alpha and Beta quadrants were the same as when they entered. The Federation had been traumatised by its most bloody and costly war to date and its fleet of explorers had now become highly militarized. The Klingon Empire had been completely devastated by the war with Section 31 projecting that the Klingons would need 10 years to recover. While a warming of relations had taken place between the Romulans and the Federation during the Dominion War something took place shortly after to destroy any goodwill between the two as by 2480 Romulan goods had once again been embargoed as seen in Star Trek: Lower Decks.

But what about the Cardassians?

Cardassia itself had been utterly ruined with 900 million dead (for comparison 66-75 Million died in WW2) and its infrastructure levelled from Dominion retaliation strikes. Cardassia also got a taste of its own medicine as its people were reduced to second class citizens and ultimately conquered and brutally suppressed by the Dominion. I could see this having a real impact on the Cardassian psyche with everyone having the same realisation as Damar did when his family was tracked down and executed:

I could see these quotes applying to the entire species:

"To kill her and my son - the casual brutality of it, the waste of life... What kind of state tolerates the murder of innocent women and children? What kind of people give those orders?" - Damar

"Yeah, Damar, what kind of people give those orders...?" - Kira
    "Some may say that we've gotten just what we deserved. After all, we're not entirely innocent, are we? And I'm not just speaking of the Bajoran occupation. No, our whole history is one of arrogant aggression. We've collaborated with the Dominion, betrayed the entire Alpha Quadrant. Oh, no, no. There's no doubt about it. We're guilty as charged." - Garak
    Or at least the irony not being lost on anyone.

I could see the Cardassians strongly push for a return of the Detopa Council (being the civilian government, which was abolished when the Cardassians joined the Dominion). And some old generals and surviving fanatics trying to bring back the old way because they either don't know any other way or are too entrenched in their ideals to see the writing on the wall.

I could definitely see Cardassia be turned into something of a proxy war between the Federation who would support the Detopa Council and the Romulans (who really got off lightly compared to the other war participants) using any remaining Obsidian order contacts to push for a takeover. And to me, this has so much potential for shaping these nations and continuing the narrative. How would a militarized Starfleet return to a peaceful role, especially when it's now been given the task of helping its enemy recover? What would happen if the Romulans now found out about Siskos involvement in their entry into the war and what would that do to Starfleet's image?

What do you guys think?

I'd love to hear what other crazy ideas people might have for Cardassia and the powers that be!
  1. SFHolo Commanding Officer

• Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 18 Dec, 2021 10:20 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 18 Dec, 2021 10:01 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• The Never Ending Sacrifice
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win a Short Story Competition

Unlocked Tue 29 Dec, 2020 5:11 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Tue 05 Nov, 2019 1:02 AM

0.44% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Sat 18 Jun, 2022 8:40 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

• Holodeck Commanding Officer
      Rare (50 Points)

Be the Commanding Officer of Holodeck

Unlocked Sun 07 Nov, 2021 7:01 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Quackers
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I'm not too sure about Cardassia, but your question about the Federation I think has been sort have answered in Picard.

The Starfleet that we saw there, seems to have continued its more militaristic views which returning to space exploration.

Riker said "I'm on the bridge of the toughest, fastest, most powerful ship Starfleet has ever put into service. And I've got a fleet of them at my back." Which leads me to believe that the Dominian war has humbled the federation a bit, but made them realise they need to be ready for anything.

Especially as in the space of 20 years, there was at least 2 Borg attacks near or at the sol system, the Dominian war which also had Earth attacked. That's going to really show you that you need a stronger military.

Just my two cents on that
    ChrisWilkinson
    ChrisWilkinson Medals
    • Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Thu 25 Nov, 2021 11:01 AM

1.91% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Unlocked Sat 06 Nov, 2021 11:02 AM

3.99% have received this achievement

• Two Factored
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Enabled Two Factor Authentication

Unlocked Thu 25 Nov, 2021 12:02 PM

0.60% have received this achievement

• Live Long and Prosper
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for one year

Unlocked Sat 05 Nov, 2022 5:00 PM

96.42% have received this achievement

• Part of the Furniture
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for two years

Unlocked Sun 05 Nov, 2023 11:02 PM

95.23% have received this achievement

• First Mission
      Common (10 Points)

RSVP to one event via the Events System

Unlocked Fri 03 Dec, 2021 4:02 AM

5.42% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I honestly haven't watched Picard yet but I've been keeping in the loop enough to know what you mean and I think that's a really good point.

Romulan aggression was met in a standoff when in the past it would've just been Picard talking. I'd love to see some of the consequences of that becoming more and more the norm.

What you say about being ready for anything is also great and I think it's being touched upon in Lower Decks with regard to the prime directive where historically potentially dangerous situations or cultures are just being left alone because of a no interference policy and thus are being allowed to grow enough to actually threaten the Federation instead of being acted upon straight away or followed up to make sure it doesn't develop.

And then in Picard, (I haven't seen any evidence of diplomacy around the planet in the finally yet but I might be wrong) when the Romulans plan to attack Coppelius the Federation shows up with a bunch of warships right away and doesn't leave much room for negotiation.

Again I haven't watched the series, just read about it so I might just be speaking nonsense but yeah I definitely agree there's been a long-lasting tonal shift in Starfleet.