ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Stormy
    • Kiflin
    • LogicalLeopard
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Josh Broughm; Wed 17 Aug, 2022 9:45 AM.
    Chapter 1: Loss

Name:  FAB-spacer-small.png
Views: 62
Size:  4.1 KB

Josh was looking out at the vast landscape & rolling mountains of Ingonish, Cape Breton. It was about a month after his daughter started her duties on the Fearless. Coffee in hand, he had a wistful look on his face. Almost a sense of loneliness. A woman with speckled grey & blond hair and pointed ears approaches from behind. She leaned against him and said, "You've been mostly quiet today. What gives?" Josh sighed, saying, "Paperwork. Starting tomorrow, I'm officially retired. The C-in-C approved the request three hours ago."

She wrapped her long arms around him in a loving hug. "I know how difficult this was for you," she said, "and I appreciate what you've done for me in your role as consort." Josh simply nodded, saying, "I know. Since your abdication, it seems to have gotten a bit calmer for you, aside from the 'once every two years' advisor calls from Hyrundar. I figure its time to close it do-"

A beep sounded close by. She detached herself from him and went to the small console to check it out. "What is it?" She asked. "Ma'am," the voice said, "Starfleet Commander, Fleet Admiral Roker wishes to beam in for a brief meeting. Priority one." Josh heard this and said, "Beam him to my office on the second floor."

They strode to the stairs and quickly descended the stairs and entered a room with a large desk, two old style filing cabinets and a small medical examination area, as he was still a practicing doctor. Josh sat his coffee on the desk as a transporter beam materialized an old, balding dark skinned man. He extended his hand and Josh shook it graciously. "I'm sorry about barging in like this," Roker said, "but I just got some extremely disheartening news." Josh's brow furrowed. "What's up?" he simply asked.

"Ambassador Urquhart is dead." Josh's expression changed to near anger. She stepped forward and pulled Josh to an armchair, pushing him into it. She then turned to Roker and asked, "Wasn't he just reassigned to Hyrundar as Ambassador, Richard?" Roker nodded. "Three months ago," he said, "by the state department. Zeyia, the Imperial Guard suspect dissidents are heavily involved." Zeyia crossed her arms and said, "Why not talk to us over normal comms?" Richard simply stated, "we had to quickly confirm the information. Akyv is beside herself with grief. The first Governor has launched a full investigation and have asked for Starfleet assistance." Josh rubbed his face. He was visibly shaken. "I'm going." Josh said.

Roker said, plainly, "I knew you'd say that. The minute the news was confirmed, I had the Mackenzie-King prep for immediate departure. She has all the equipment you need to do what you have to." Josh rose, stepped to Admiral Roker and extended his hand. The Admiral shook it and said, "My sympathies to you. Consider this your final mission as a Starfleet officer." Josh nodded and turned to his beloved, "I'm assuming you want to tag along, eh?"

Zeyia said, "Like you could ever stop me." A mischievous smile formed on her face. Josh's eyes met hers and he immediately kissed her on the lips. "Always get me with that smile." He said. "It always lightens your heart, my love." she said softly. "If you two are finished," Roker said, "get going!" Josh nodded, touched a console control and said, "Broughm to Mackenzie-King, two to beam up."
    JoshBroughm
    JoshBroughm Medals