ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • timverbesselt
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Once more, I feel it important to mention, the Guild is EU Region only, so you won't be able to play with anyone on the NA/OCE region (which means separate game/sub) for anyone else thinking about jumping in from NA/OCE.
    That's absolutely true but I suspect not an issue for Tim specifically since he's from Belgium and should play on an EU server Wink
    SunfireSunfire Medals
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Thu 12 Mar, 2020 7:01 AM

34.20% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Thu 06 Jan, 2022 4:09 AM

0.54% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2023 10:28 PM

0.48% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Sat 20 Mar, 2021 3:00 PM

0.70% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Unlocked Sat 26 Dec, 2020 10:03 AM

3.99% have received this achievement

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Tue 05 Jan, 2021 10:00 PM

1.91% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    Less than £10
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    That's absolutely true but I suspect not an issue for Tim specifically since he's from Belgium and should play on an EU server Wink
    Correct Wink Thumbs up

- - - Updated - - -

Now that is a sales speech Wink
    Yes this will be the plan. I will run the free one until lvl 20 and do the 60 day pass and will move on from there.

Thank you for your time explanation all.

Hi Tim,

Sorry for the late reply.

As mentioned here, we do indeed run a World of Warcraft guild. We are a casual raiding guild, but we also engage in all sorts of other activities, and always welcome new players regardless of experience. Therefore, you are very welcome to join us anytime. Just send me your battle tag and I will happily send you an invite!

As for your question about subscribing and/or buying the current expansion, I must say that I disagree with some of the replies above.

With the risk of repeating what was already said here, I want to make clear and summarize the differences between playing the free trial, simply being subscribed, and being both subscribed and owning the current expansion.

Playing the free trial will only give you access to a tiny amount of what WoW has to offer in terms of gameplay, and you will exhaust it in a matter of days. Moreover, you will not have access to social features which are a core part of any MMO. The free trial will only give you an idea about how the combat and the different classes work and feel, but even that is limited. You will also not even get a good idea about what the current game looks like and what the questing experience is like, since you will be playing through 18 year old content. Choosing to start your experience in Exile's Reach (a new starting area that was introduced with the previous expansion) will mitigate this somewhat, but then you will be left with what I would consider a rather confusing experience.

Subscribing (be it through pre-paid cards, purchasing 60 days of gametime directly from the battle.net app, or setting up a recurring payment) will allow you access to everything the game has to offer, save for the current expansion content. That means you will be able to level up until level 60 and get access to all basic features of the game. Because of the way leveling has been reworked, you will be able to choose which of the expansions to level through, and you will be able to skip a lot of dated content, giving you a much better experience overall. With the leveling rework you no longer have to go through all previous content in order to reach max level. This is in my opinion a much better option than the free trial.

If you choose to purchase the current expansion, Dragonflight, you will unlock all features of the game. This is in my opinion your best experience.

Now, in addressing my disagreements with some of the other replies I hope that I can convince you otherwise.

• There are obviously restrictions on content and gameplay during the free trial. They consist in simply not having access to the vast majority of content and gameplay.
    • There are also restrictions on the social features of the game, like not being able to whisper, trade, or join a guild. These are in my opinion fundamental features that make an MMORPG. The benefits of joining a guild are not 'minor' in terms of gameplay. Just to give you an example, you gain 10% increased mounted speed by joining a guild, which will save you a massive amount of time in the long run. However it is not because of the gameplay benefits that you should want to join a guild. The real benefits of joining a guild are that you join a community of more or less experienced players who will always be there to help you out if you have questions, do content with you, and generally just chat about the game or whatever else. This is in my experience the single most important reason why people keep playing or keep coming back to World of Warcraft, and is one of the very first things you should do when you start playing the game.
    • Purchasing the latest expansion, especially now that we are still in the early days of Dragonflight will allow you to experience what I consider to be the best WoW has been in years, once you reach level 60 and start going through new content. And, again, you will reach level 60 in no time. After that, you will gain access to WoW's endgame content, which I would argue is really where the game starts. Leveling through Dragonflight and then participating in endgame content (causal or less so), you will discover a very active open world, see and interact with players at every corner. This expansion in particular is very focused on open world group content. The experience of leveling through old content, although it can be relaxing and fun, will feel very empty in comparison.

Having said all this, I would suggest the following: Exhaust your free trial content by reaching level 20, then purchase 60 days of game time, join our guild and continue leveling up to level 60. If by the time you reach that level you feel like you are ready for an even better, more interactive and social experience, purchase Dragonflight. I would only add that in my opinion it would be best for a new player to level through the more current expansions (Mists of Pandaria, Warlords of Draenor, Legion, Battle for Azeroth, Shadowlands). You will experience more modern content, level faster, and generally have a less boring experience if you're doing it all on your own. I only suggest this because you will have a more streamlined leveling experience, and not because I don't enjoy the old expansions myself.

To conclude, the way the system is set up allows you to take your time and, as others have said, you can take it step by step. However, I believe the best the game has to offer, especially for a new player, lies with the current expansion and the endgame content, but even the leveling experience of Dragonflight has been some of the most fun I've had in WoW recently. Everyone else in the guild shares the same opinion. So, if I've managed to convince you to at least purchase 60 days of game time and join Lunarfall, let me know. You can generally find us on TeamSpeak in the evenings.
    Timverbesselt
    Timverbesselt Medals
  2. Global Moderator

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 14 Oct, 2023 3:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:00 PM

0.54% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Fri 01 Apr, 2022 12:10 PM

0.32% have received this achievement

• Vice Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Vice Admiral

Unlocked Sat 14 Oct, 2023 2:59 PM

0.27% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:00 PM

0.71% have received this achievement

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Unlocked Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:00 PM

13.01% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Sunfire
    • timverbesselt
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Heyallo; Tue 10 Jan, 2023 2:28 PM.
    I felt it important to mention in case he was wanting to play with anyone he knew from that region or for anyone else in that region who was watching this topic to see if they wanted to jump in.

EDIT: I'm also waiting for a nice stretch of cool weather so I can sit down and get back into wow myself, actually own dragonflight, just waiting for that weather so can play and play and play lol
    Heyallo
    Heyallo Medals
    "What good is a rule if you're not willing to die for it...? Or break it."
    Capt. Christopher Pike