communications relay login

Novel series Review - "A Time To..."

Started By:
Silynn, Wed 27 Apr, 2011 7:34 PM
Views:
Replies:
    • Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 23 Mar, 2019 11:47 PM

0.24% have received this achievement

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Thu 18 Feb, 2021 9:02 AM

34.56% have received this achievement

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:41 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 05 Oct, 2018 12:14 AM

0.54% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 2:22 PM

0.46% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I figured I should give a brief review after completing this wonderful series (I’m not biased at all). Chris Halsey suggested the series to me, which I am very grateful, as a good place to start my first Star Trek novel(s). I will admit that at times it was very hard to put down the book for the evening, as I kept wanting to read more to see what happened next. The stories were that gripping for me.

My only experience with Star Trek prior to Star Trek Online has been random TV episodes (mostly TNG, Enterprise, DS9, Voyager), TNG Movies, and the latest JJ Abrams Movies. Thus after playing for several months and reading/playing through many wonderful missions, I wanted to know more about the STO universe.

Well… this series is truly top notch in my opinion due to the strong depth and color of the characters. Not just the main ones, but the new ones. So vivid, that it does not take long for you to make a connection with them on some level.

Now, stepping back from that… the overarching story is truly masterful with all of its underlying philosophy and morality. Which I think is a strong part of Star Trek. I could go on and into more detail on this... but I do not wish to spoil the surprises that are in store for you should you read these novels.

Pros: Strong character development, Strong stories, Strong-tangible emotions

Cons: Alien race information. These stories do involve various and new alien races. Thus, without a good ‘wikipedia’ or so entry anywhere on the web, it was hard to not just view these races in very simplified forms, instead of their truly unique and alien beauty. This might be an issue for me with all Star Trek novels.

Book Details. As I can not sum it up better than Chris, here are the book details:
    If you enjoy The Next Generation I would strongly recommend the "A Time To..." Series of books, these take place between Star Trek Insurrection and Star Trek Nemesis and act as a far better send off then Nemesis did by filling in the blanks explaining why most of the crew went their seperate ways.

---POST DOMINION WAR---

TNG A Time to Be Born ISBN 0743491491
    TNG A Time to Die ISBN 0743467663
    TNG A Time to Sow ISBN 0743482999
    TNG A Time to Harvest ISBN 0743482980
    TNG A Time to Love ISBN 0743462858
    TNG A Time to Hate ISBN 0743462890
    TNG A Time to Kill ISBN 0743491777
    TNG A Time to Heal ISBN 0743491785
    TNG A Time for War, A Time for Peace ISBN 0743491793

---NEMESIS MOVIE---
    On a sidenote, I wonder if anyone with amazing creative talents have ever tried to recreate some of the alien species with the STO tools?
    Silynn
    Silynn Medals