communications relay login

This is my current ship build anyone have any suggestions ?

Started By:
St3a1th, Mon 21 Apr, 2014 9:04 PM
Views:
Replies:
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked 2 Weeks Ago

34.70% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Wed 01 Apr, 2015 3:00 PM

9.73% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Sat 20 Apr, 2019 3:04 PM

75.91% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Grandfathered

28.06% have received this achievement

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the House of Kular

Unlocked Fri 03 Jul, 2015 8:02 PM

13.07% have received this achievement

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Unlocked Thu 23 Jul, 2015 5:04 PM

13.00% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 11 Apr, 2015 8:34 PM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

Grandfathered

1.31% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Grandfathered

0.69% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Thu 04 Aug, 2022 4:06 PM

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Wed 15 Jul, 2015 9:27 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    In order for us to best help you, please give us some additional information regarding your build goals and preferred play style.

Sent from my Communications Subroutine using Tapatalk
    Daedalus
    Daedalus Medals
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Tue 13 Jan, 2015 9:01 PM

0.71% have received this achievement

• Warrant Officer
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive the rank of Warrant Officer

Unlocked Sat 27 Jun, 2015 9:55 PM

0.01% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 26 Jun, 2017 6:07 AM

• Command Master Chief Petty Officer
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Command Master Chief Petty Officer

Unlocked Sat 24 Sep, 2016 10:52 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive the rank of Master Chief Petty Officer of the Fleet

Unlocked Fri 13 May, 2016 11:01 AM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Qualified Officer
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Officer Qualification

Unlocked Mon 05 Jan, 2015 2:38 AM

5.85% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I don't play Science, so keep in mind my viewpoint will be a touch different. A few things jump out at me.

The Omega Torpedo, post-fix, deals less DPS than Photon, Quantum, or Grav torpedos. Since you're apparently going for torpedoes (what with Adapted MACO), I'd point out a Torp Spread with the Grav Torps can be a beautiful thing, with the mini-grav wells popping everywhere. Since you're broadsiding, I'd actually recommend the Wide Angle Quantum Torpedo Launcher, but that's from a C-Store ship so not everyone has access.

That said, you only have two Tactical stations and you're using both on Torpedo abilities. You really should have at least Tactical Team 1, and either a way to keep it constantly up (3 Conn DOffs, probably) or just use it manually. Those repel boarding parties, and more importantly will instantly redistribute your shields. There is a very noticeable increase in how well your shields stay up with TT1. (Remember that different department Teams no longer share cooldowns, so you can have Sci, Tac, and Eng teams without any conflict.)

Two Hazard Emitters seems excessive, especially if you're carrying Eng Team 1 for a big hull heal. I'd try to work in Grav Well (which is awesome with Grav DOffs) so you can clump up groups of victims, which you then blast away with Torp Spread.

Dunno why you have the Proton Particle Stabalizer without the Proton Experimental Weapon though. It's a good weapon since it drains less power than an array (5 vs 10) while still being suitable for broadsides (with a 180 arc), and if you use the Grav torp you'd get the 3 piece bonus. That makes the Grav (Photon) torpedo hit even harder.
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Fri 21 Oct, 2022 5:04 PM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sun 07 Dec, 2014 4:08 AM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Commodore
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commodore

Grandfathered

0.50% have received this achievement

• Commander
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Commander

Grandfathered

0.64% have received this achievement

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Grandfathered

0.67% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    In order for us to best help you, please give us some additional information regarding your build goals and preferred play style.

Sent from my Communications Subroutine using Tapatalk
    Agreed. What are you trying to do? Without knowing more, the only critique I have is your choice of Tactical BOFF skills. You have two. You've dedicated both of them to torpedoes when torpedoes only make up 16% of your weaponry.
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked 2 Weeks Ago

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Grandfathered

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I am looking to tank my ship science ship but still do reasonable damage. Some of the ideals that dark madeI will implement straight away. I will change omega for graviton torp, look at doffs can change high yield for tac team 1. Once I made those changes I re repost the stats so other can make suggestions. At moment though my DPS is very low
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Thu 25 Jan, 2024 10:04 AM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

0.43% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Fri 25 Jan, 2019 4:03 AM

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

1.91% have received this achievement

• Ensign
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Ensign

Grandfathered

3.59% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    That said, you only have two Tactical stations and you're using both on Torpedo abilities. You really should have at least Tactical Team 1, and either a way to keep it constantly up (3 Conn DOffs, probably) or just use it manually. Those repel boarding parties, and more importantly will instantly redistribute your shields. There is a very noticeable increase in how well your shields stay up with TT1. (Remember that different department Teams no longer share cooldowns, so you can have Sci, Tac, and Eng teams without any conflict.)

Two Hazard Emitters seems excessive, especially if you're carrying Eng Team 1 for a big hull heal. I'd try to work in Grav Well (which is awesome with Grav DOffs) so you can clump up groups of victims, which you then blast away with Torp Spread.
    I wanted to preface the discussion with why tank with a science vessel? Your hull is fairly weak and you do not have the tanky cruiser command options at your disposal (shield frequency modulation or attract fire). You slotted 3 field generators which you cannot get in the +Th variety from the fleet embassy. I've found that shield tanking is better than hull tanking so I'd sugguest the plasma infused +Th +field emitters or +flow cap variety. If you need more power, slotting flow caps will pretty much double the amount you get from plasmonic leech. So what I'm trying to say is, unless you ditch the field gens, you won't hold threat to tank as you have no way to generate significant DPS given the ship's layout and number of weapons.

As was mentioned above you need to have at least one TT (tactical team) and you should cycle it on CD (cooldown) of 15 seconds which requires 2 purple conn doffs (http://sto.gamepedia.com/Specialization:_Conn_Officer). These reduce the CD by 8 seconds each and the global CD is 15 so having 3 would not do anything more for you.

I noticed you're using several universal consoles with a common theme of adding to your power levels. I do not see the point in using the proton particle stabilizer given your build. It doesn't synergize with anything. The Nukara would help your DPS since you do use primarily beams (it increase your accuracy). The assimilated and zero point consoles are wonderful so those make sense. Any chance you can get your hands on a plasmonic leech console? That would increase your energy levels across the board. If so, flow caps becomes very useful.

With respect to weapons, if you're tanking I'd suggest broadsiding to keep your defense up as high as possible. This means your torpedo becomes useless since you will not be in its firing arc frequently. The exception is if you get the wide-angle torpedo from the assault cruiser I believe. You can then use your Lt tac boff to get TT1 and BFAW2(beam fire at will). I'd add the kinetic cutting beam since that thing does great damage, hits everything, and you get a useful 2-piece bonus with the assimilated console. I'd also suggest using the advanced weapons not elite because you lose one of the modifiers (it became the 2.5% proc which for tanking is nice but I have noticed it be that helpful.)

As for devices I would pickup a subspace field modulator which is obtained from the mission "skirmish" (devidian story arc).

You have a very high capacity shield which could be good but as mentioned up top, you have a weak hull. I'd suggest using a resilient shield of some sort, such as the elite fleet adapative resilient B (or A depending on what you mostly fight). The MACO is not a bad choice either, as the deflector has useful stats for tanking and the 2-piece reduces your BOFF CD's by 5%. However, now your shield are even less than they were before, and you have very little shield heals/resist abilities which when tanking, are integral in keeping you alive.

For deflector and engines, the borg set is hard to beat when it comes to tanking. The heal proc is insanely good and happens more frequently than you'd expect but certainly not always when you need it! If you wanted to do more DPS, the Omega set is good because it gives you an accuracy bonus. The new 2-piece Undine (counter command ordinance I believe) also gives an accuracy bonus (thought I think it is not as good as the Omega set bonus due to it being added to your targeting system and not a flat bonus) and a phaser bonus since that's what you mostly use.

Then your tac consoles should all be whatever deals the majority of your damage... so phasers and probably the crit ones. If you're above 15-17% crit then grab the crit severity ones. I haven't played with swapping these consoles in and out so I have no parse data on it.

So in selecting BOFF abilities, I took into account the fact that you wanted to tank and the advice I gave above to come up with the following:

CMDR Sci: HE1, ST2, TSS3, GW3
    Lt CMDR Sci: HE1, ST2, TSS3
    Lt Eng: ET1 or EPtS1, RSP (the choice in the first slot depends on if you feel you need more hull
    heals or shield heals. This choice also means you need to decide b/tw 2-piece Omega or
    2-piece Borg set).
    Lt Tac: TT, BFAW2
    Ens Sci: Polarize Hull

DOFF's: The 2xTT conn officers mentioned above are a must the rest are up to you and your playstyle/needs.
    2x ET to allow that to be cast every 15 seconds (is your hull getting demolished...), 1x gravity well to proc additional wells, 2x BFAW to reduce the CD to global (for more DPS)

That's a huge post... I hope it makes sense. I've done a lot of testing on the tanking front because I come from SWTOR where classes have very defined roles. I had tanks, healers, and DPS toons and each requires a specific setup. In STO I've found it to be the same concept where you don't want to be okay in a bunch of things, you want to build towards one goal. If you want to tank, understand that your DPS will be low, unless you get very expensive DOFF's and use a different ship that has the ability to use attack patterns and other high level tactical abilities and has 8 weapon slots and a hangar bay (or 2).

This is all information I've come up with while playtesting the past few months but members who have more experience than me please chime in.

-- Ark
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Mon 16 Jan, 2023 2:09 AM

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Mon 15 Jan, 2018 8:00 PM

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Grandfathered

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

Unlocked Tue 01 Jun, 2021 7:00 PM

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Unlocked Sun 01 Sep, 2019 4:01 AM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Jeslyn; Wed 23 Apr, 2014 7:44 PM.
    My Main was a Science Officer from Beta until a couple of months ago. This is one area that I can do well. Perhaps I can help you out. Let me take a look here.

A pity that you are going Energy Arrays. The Intrepid makes for a nice Torpedo Boat what with the Armor Generator and the Sci Layout. You could have pumped all of the Weapon Power in to Aux for Sci Skills instead.

I concur with Arkainjel: Tanking a Sci Ship is not a very good idea. They are Debuffers and play well with that layout. He suggested a good mix for Tanking one. I will offer you the Debuffer option.

I would swap:

- Torpedo Spread for High Yield 2. It will do you more good with the Omega Torp. Or, like Dark said, swap it for a Gravimetric Photon Torpedo.

- High Yield 1 for Tactical Team 1. Damage Boost and Shield Facing Auto-Alignment and Removing Board Parties makes a copy of this skill a must.

- Feedback Pulse for Tachyon Beam 3. You can do more damage to the baddies' by peeling away their shields and hitting them directly than you can do with the feedback.

- Tractor Beam for Gravity Well. It will hold multiple enemies and do damage to them. My Main's got up to 900 damage per tick each to a whole cluster of enemies. It will work wonders with a Gravimetric Photon Torpedo Spread. Slot Gravimetric Scientist DOffs and you can hit half a dozen GWs in one shot. Mob = Dead. Alternatively, Tyken's Rift will synch well with the Tachyon Beam and the Energy Siphon to shut down the enemies. If specced well, you can bottom out their power levels.

- Hazard Emitters 2 for Scramble Sensors. You don't need the extra heal if they can't hit you. Wink

- Never underestimate the Photonic Officer Skill. It is frequently overlooked and ~really~ should not be. Especially for a Sci Ship. A PO1 will drop the recharge time of all BOff Abilities by a quarter for a minute (itself included). PO3 will do it by 40%. That is nearly doubling your Ability Pool. That is something to really consider.
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked 2 Weeks Ago

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Grandfathered

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Thanks to all the feedback I have made a lot of progress in my science build and now dealing a lot more dps, I normally come in 3rd place not far from those at top in STF's for damage higher than some tac's and cruiser.

Thank you again.