Unlocked Wed 07 Jan, 2015 2:21 AM

3.98% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Soral; Fri 16 May, 2014 10:45 AM.
    After reading the Captain's Logs created by Survivor, I was inspired to make my own attempt at keeping a log in STO. I didn't want to copy or simply repeat what he was already doing though, so I've decided to go in a slightly different direction.

The Captain's Logs in this thread will follow my Vulcan character, Soral, as he and his crew embark on a more "present day" series of missions. Focusing on the newest mission content/STO storyline, dailies, and Foundry missions for the majority of the story backgrounds. Foundry missions will be where I try to keep the majority of my focus as I'd like to explore the worlds that those storytellers have created.

Please feel free to comment here in the thread or send me a PM with suggestions or comments. I greatly appreciate any feedback from the community as I'd like to make these posts as fun and enjoyable to the readers as I possibly can.

Special thanks to Survivor for the inspiration to try this writing format and for the assistance in fine tuning my log entries. I greatly appreciate your help in reviewing my logs and the ideas you've shared on how to improve them.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
    LOGIC IS THE BEGINNING OF WISDOM; NOT THE END. - SPOCK
    • The Never Ending Sacrifice
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win a Short Story Competition

Unlocked Thu 12 May, 2016 7:59 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Tue 22 Feb, 2022 12:05 PM

34.56% have received this achievement

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Grandfathered

9.74% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Wed 22 Feb, 2017 6:02 AM

75.67% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log, Stardate 91952.19.

The El Dorado has been stationed at Starbase Phoenix, orbiting the Trill homeworld, as it undergoes an overhaul of the main weapon array. The upgrade is expected to increase our energy efficiency by 10% while maintaining optimum weapon power.

My Chief Engineer, Mr. Glan, has expressed optimism that the added efficiency will also increase weapon power. Having reviewed the design specifications myself, I concur that there is potential for additional benefits once the new array has been installed. I have offered my praise for Mr. Glan's logical conclusions. Although he has expressed appreciation for the gesture, he insists that his beliefs are based purely on his cultural instincts. I must confess that after having served with Mr. Glan for the better part of a year, I am still no closer to understanding how the size of his lobes have anything to do with his ability to perform as an Engineer. Despite the lack of logical evidence to support his claim, he assures me that it does and his performance aboard ship has been nothing less than stellar. A credit to the Ferengi people. With the latest reports from Starfleet Command, I can only conclude that officers like Mr. Glan will undoubtedly be needed in the near future. As will the new weapons array.

The recent attacks by the Undine in the Sol System and attempted destruction of the Klingon Homeworld, Qo'nos, have put the entire Alpha Quadrant on alert and created unease among the races within. I have noted these same conditions among the crew of the El Dorado following our efforts to stop the Undine at Qo'nos. Although my people pride themselves on having conquered our emotions, I must confess that I am experiencing what my First Officer would describe as "discomfort" regarding the current circumstances.

I have therefore issued orders allowing shore leave for the crew while the ship is stationed at Starbase Phoenix. The upgrades are expected to be completed within 3 solar Earth days, which will allow for visits to the planet Trill as well as making use of the starbase itself. I anticipate that the added days of rest will prove beneficial to improving the crew morale and allowing a period of rest before the El Dorado's next assignment.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log, Supplemental:

It appears that our wait for new orders was short lived. I received a communique from Starfleet Command earlier today at 1750 hours. Specifics appear to be "lacking" as they simply consist of orders to report to Sector 001, specifically Earth in the Sol System, before departing for the Veela System in the Regulus Sector area. Even with only this information, I have concluded that it will be imperative that ship and crew perform at peak efficiency in order to successfully complete our mission. Based on past performance, it is logical to conclude that they will.

I have scheduled a briefing with my Senior Staff at 0900 hours tomorrow morning to discuss the details of Starfleet's communiqué. I have also requested Chief Engineer Glan prepare an update to the time table regarding the completion of the weapons array upgrade.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log, Stardate: 91968.59

The El Dorado has returned to Sol System in Sector 001 as ordered. I would note for the log that the remainder of the upgrades to our weapons array was completed enroute to Earth allowing for departure 2 days earlier than originally anticipated. This feat was accomplished in no small way by the effort of the ship's Engineering department.

I have briefed the senior staff on our orders, which are simply to report to Earth's Space Dock before proceeding immediately to the Veela System in the Regulus Sector. My First Officer, Commander Ezri Douglas-Bashir, has expressed concern over the vagueness of our orders and the dangers that exist in the Veela System. Reports indicate that the Orion Syndicate are known to operate in that particular region of space. Commander Bashir's father, Doctor Julian Bashir encountered the Orion Syndicate during his tenure at the Federation Space Station, Deep Space Nine. The doctor, along with his wife, Sarinna Douglas, and the Trill known as Ezri Dax (for whom my First Officer is named), have filed numerous reports regarding the savagery of this criminal organization. With their dislike of the Federation and its policies added to an already grim portfoilo, I have logically concluded that an encounter with the Orion Syndicate would be met with extreme hostility. However, despite these concerns, logic dictates that Starfleet must have a significant reason to warrant the sending of a ship into such a hostile environment.

Ship and crew remain on standby in Earth's Space Dock while I prepare to beam aboard the station to speak with Admiral Quinn. The Admiral will undoubtedly shed some "light on the subject" before we disembark.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log: Supplemental...

I have returned from my meeting with Admiral Quinn. Our orders are to retrieve a special undercover operative that has infiltrated the Orion Syndicate for the past year. The operative has reason to believe that the Syndicate is close to discovering their identity based on information retrieved in a raid on Regulus last month. The operative has been placed in charge of decrypting the information, but only has a few weeks to decode them and produce their findings. They sent an encrypted message to Starfleet Command two weeks ago and the timeframe they have to produce results is rapidly diminishing.

To aid the El Dorado in the success of our mission, the ship is being outfitted with a cloaking device. Based on designs from the U.S.S. Defiant, the El Dorado's predecessor and first starship of its clsss, Starfleet believes that the device will be most effective on a ship of similar make and size. The Defiant used a cloaking device "on loan" from the Romulan Star Empire during the early hostilities with the Dominion. Based on the likelihood of hostilities with the Orion Syndicate, the irony between the reasons for both starships being outfitted with such a device is not lost on this Vulcan.

Chief Glan anticipates that the cloaking device will be online and the ship will be ready for departure at 1130 hours.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log, Stardate: 91970.61.

While enroute to the Veela System, the El Dorado has responded to a distress call from the U.S.S. Ponderosa located in the Lackey System. The ship's message was severely distorted; however, my Operations Officer, Lt. Commander Melissa Stewart, has been able to clear up enough of the transmission to identify their attackers:

The Borg.

With this information disturbing enough, Commander Stewart has also discovered a carrier wave that she was able to identify as Borg in origin. As a former Borg drone freed from the collective approximately two years ago, her memories still include knowledge of such frequencies, allowing for the message to be decrypted almost immediately. Analysis of the carrier wave revealed a transmission from the Borg denoting their intentions to assimilate the crew of the Ponderosa and determine the current defense capabilities of the Federation and Klingon Empire. The message was originally intended for the Ponderosa itself, but had been implanted in the ship's distress signal using the Borg's own frequency to keep it hidden. Commander Stewart referred to this as a "message in a bottle," presumably sent in the event that the Ponderosa was unable to escape destruction and warn the Federation.

The last segment of the Ponderosa's transmission indicates that they are outnumbered, with shields failing, and losing main power. Despite the uncertainty regarding the magnitude of the Borg threat, I have ordered the El Dorado to Red Alert status and am diverting its course to render assistance. We will reach the Lackey System within 35 solar minutes.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log: Supplemental.

The El Dorado arrived in the Lackey System to find the remains of the Ponderosa. The ship had taken heavy damage with one of its engine nacelles completely separated from the ship and a large section of the starboard saucer section destroyed or removed. The ship appears to have experienced multiple explosions before its captain ordered the crew to abandon their vessel. Several escape pods were noted as having been launched with several appearing on sensors attempting to flee from the Borg.

Commander Stewart reported that sensors had identified five Borg ships in the vicinity. One Cube, one sphere, and three probes. The Cube had locked several of the Ponderosa's escape pods in a tractor beam apparently to beam aboard the crew for assimilation.

We quickly began a scan for life signs aboard the Ponderosa and its fleeing escape pods. A total of 23 crewmen of an original compliment of 138 could be identified in the pods; none existed on the Ponderosa. Most of the escape pods were caught in the tractor beam of the Borg Cube. I ordered the El Dorado to focus phaser fired on the Cube's tractor beam in order to free the escape pods. We immediately began to take heavy fire from the Borg ships during our rescue attempt and were able to beam aboard 11 crewmen before we were overwhelmed by the Borg. Main power was knocked off-line and the Borg ships proceeded to lock us into several tractor beams.

With shields draining and a Borg boarding party likely, sensors reported the arrival of several vessels, including three Starfleet cruisers and a Romulan Warbird. With their assistance, the El Dorado was freed and able to rejoin the battle where our combined weapons were sufficient to neutralize the Borg Cube. The resulting explosion of its warp core was able to destroy the Borg sphere and probes as they had formed closely around the Cube; focusing their combined power both to tractor the El Dorado originally and to also maximize coverage of their weapons fire during the battle. This is not a familiar Borg tactic in previous encounters, which clearly demonstrates that they are adapting their strategies. I have ordered Commander Stewart and Tactical Officer Lt. Commander Shanan Othyli to analyze our sensor recordings of the battle for any additional information regarding the new tactic.

Repairs are currently underway with the assistance of the U.S.S. Charlestown. We have reported the incident to Starfleet Command and have extended the Federation's, as well as our own, appreciation to the Captain of the Romulan Republic Warbird, R.R.W. Ha'feh, for their assistance. Their captain expressed a similar appreciation for the Federation's assistance in the past before departing for republic territory. The U.S.S. DeForrest and U.S.S. Cheyenne have remained in the area and will be making way for Starbase 24 once our repairs are completed.

We anticipate resuming our missing to the Veela System within the hour; where our operative hopefully remains undiscovered.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by Soral; Sat 17 May, 2014 8:58 PM.
    Captain's Log: Stardate 91978.65

Mission Report

After the delay caused by our encounter with the Borg, we arrived at the Veela System. Our undercover operative's instructions were to make contact with their handler at Veela III. I ordered the helmsman to lay in a course towards the pre-arranged coordinates. When we arrived at our destination, we found no sign of the handler's vessel and were receiving no communications.

I found this most puzzling and began to ask myself a series of questions. Why send us to these coordinates and then not be here to meet us? Had the handler been delayed? Captured? Their ship damaged or destroyed by the Orions? Logic dictates that there is an answer to my queries and I reasoned that time would provide the answer; however, while my ship and crew are in hostile territory...time is not in abundance.

As I pondered the decision to send a subspace message to Starfleet Command, I was informed that all communications were being blocked by some kind of dampening field. My Science Officer, Lieutenant Jadzia, had been scanning the area searching for the handler's ship, when she discovered that our sensors had become severely limited. She was eventually able to detect a beacon close to our location that was blocking sensors and all subspace communications. She surmised that if the viewscreen had not been on and she had physically seen the beacon blink, it was doubtful that we would have detected it.

The present situation being puzzling enough, this latest development simply added to the mystery. A beacon that was virtually undetectable except by visual sight alone? Someone has had gone to great lengths to keep its existence a mystery. But why?

The beacon began to scan us and sent a signal indicating that it recognized us as a Federation vessel. The signal included a request that we hail the beacon for further instruction. After analyzing the message, Lt. Jadzia recommended that we respond to the beacon, but cautioned that we would have to move within 7 km to break through the interference. I ordered the ship to Yellow Alert and instructed the helmsman, Ensign Cassey Weissinger, to proceed.

Once in range, we attempted to hail the beacon, which reacted by scanning our vessel again and verifying our ship designation. The beacon then partially lifted the dampening field and sent out a signal activating another beacon further in the system. Security Officer, T'Shimik of Vulcan, determined that the beacons were providing a course that would safely take us past the Orion vessels that were now registering on ship's sensors. I ordered the cloaking device engaged and we proceeded to the next beacon.

Upon arrival at the second beacon, Lt. Jadzia confirmed that all of the beacons were filled with small amount of explosives. Not in sufficient quantity to cause harm to the El Dorado or its crew, but rather the devices appear to be part of a self destruct program that would destroy the beacons should an enemy ship attempt to access its core information and not register as "friendly." As was the case with the first beacon, the second sent out a signal, directing us to yet another beacon in the system. This one very close to Veela III.

At the third, and apparently final beacon, we received coordinates to the location of the handler's ship at the planet's southern polar magnetic field. The magnetic field proved effective at masking the ship from all sensors within the region. We approached the coordinates and were hailed by an individual who stated his name was "Toran." Toran introduced himself as our operative's handler, noting that her name was Selomi and provided the access code necessary to verify his credentials. He verified that he is a Vulcan surgically altered to appear as a Romulan mercenary and has been working in a support role with our operative for the past several months.

Despite the credentials having been verified, I remained suspicious of Toran. Although he has been impersonating a Romulan mercenary, his apparently anxiety regarding the situation and hasty explanation of his identity seemed quite un-Vulcan-like behavior. Perhaps his time as an undercover operative had affected his emotional control or perhaps there is more to his Vulcan heritage that he has let on. Regardless, his credentials were verified and I allowed him to proceed with his explanation of events.

He stated that there were urgent matters regarding Selomi's status and that he needed to discuss them in person. He requested to be beamed aboard immediately, which I acknowledged and asked that he standby for transport. With the communication channel closed, I turned to Security Chief T'Shimik and requested that she assign one of her officers to meet our guest and escort him to my ready room. Logic dictates caution when faced with uncertainty and this situation certainly qualified.

When Toran arrived at my ready room, he began to inform me that our operative had requested extraction based on intelligence that needed to be brought to Starfleet's immediate attention. The communiqué that we received was sent concerning the intelligence and that her presence as a Federation spy may have been discovered. He confirmed the message contents we received, which further validated his identity, and went on to explain that approximately 4.7 hours ago, Selomi's emergency distress beacon was activated. This indicated that her cover had indeed been compromised.

I requested that First Officer Bashir join us in the ready room where, upon entry, I inquired about the Orion Syndicate's methods regarding the discovery of operatives or traitors among their membership. Toran agreed with my First Officer's conclusions that the Orion Syndicate does not tolerate a traitor in their midst and would likely interrogate our operative before having her executed as an example. Commander Bashir provided examples of the types of brutality that may be inflicted on Selomi if she had been captured. The images that my mind brought forth were...disturbing.

Toran then spoke about the information he had obtained during his search the last few hours. He had been able to determine that Selomi would likely be held at the trading outpost on Veela IV. It was a hub for Orion activity in the area and where the leaders of the Syndicate in this sector are known to spend a fair amount of time. There would be heavy resistance to any direct approach and we would need to find a way to enter the facility without being detected. I informed Toran of my belief that we would have that particular issue well at hand. I then ordered Commander Bashir to have the helm set course for Veela IV and to activate the cloaking device once we were underway.

Upon arrival at Veela IV, sensors indicated the presence of at least two dozen Orion vessels blocking the path between the El Dorado and the trading outpost. The cloaking device proved only partially effective due to a localized phenomena of polarized energy that affected the cloaking device and caused it to deactivate. Toran believed that it was a sort of security system, similar to a tachyon detection grid, that prevented cloaked ships from entering the area unseen. With quick thinking from Ensign Weissinger, we were able to take cover in a debris field that masked our presence. Once clear of the field, we were able to re-engage the cloak and use the debris field to further mask our approach the rest of the way.

As we cleared the debris field, I ordered the cloak disengaged and we proceeded into orbit above the outpost. Once there, we were contacted by a Ferengi named Pax who was quite surprised to find us in orbit of his station. We stated that our business was to trade and were granted access to the facilities, despite his "nervousness" of having Federation types at his facility. He stressed that if we "left his patrons alone they would leave us alone." I found the Ferengi's warning quite interesting and acknowledged his exchange of information with a silent nod before closing the channel.

I ordered an away team consisting of Chief Medical Officer, Doctor Beverly LaPorte, Lt. Cmdr. Stewart, and myself as I had decided to accompany them in the attempt to rescue operative Selomi. My First Officer protested my joining the away team, citing General Order 15, which states that; "No flag officer shall beam into a hazardous area without armed escort." She requested that I take at least a handful of security officers for added protection. Although I understood the logic of her request, I reminded Commander Bashir that the away team would be carrying concealed weapons, which should meet the regulations effectively. Additionally, the presence of more than a handful of "traders" may raise suspicions among the Orions. I had ordered that we change our attire to look less conspicuous, which would be difficult to do with a large group.

Despite this logical conclusion, my First Officer's continued to press her concern and stated that three phasers would not be enough in the event of a firefight. As a point of note, I have found over the years that Commander Bashir does not give up easily when she believes she is on steady ground. An attribute that has served her well on many occasions. As such, I did not find her persistence on this topic as a sign of disrespect, but merely one of concern for her commanding officer and shipmates. I acknowledged that her argument had merit and ordered that a transporter lock be maintained throughout our time aboard the station. I also ordered that a security team be on standby to beam over in the event that the transporter could not lock onto our signals. Additionally, I requested that Mr. Toran be equipped with a weapon, since he would be beaming down to help the away team with the search.

Once aboard the station, we began our search for Selomi. However, within only a few moments of beaming down, we ran into an unexpected situation when Toran was recognized as being an associate of Selomi's. Security was immediately called to our vicinity to take him into custody and we found ourselves surrounded by several Orions. Seeing no alternative, we engaged the Orions and were able to subdue the security force. Despite our quick resolution of the situation, it became clear that Toran's presence would be too much of a liability. Although I recognized that not having him with us could hamper the investigation, I could not afford to have him recognized and security called for while questioning the outpost's populace. Toran agreed with this conclusion and volunteered to stay behind at the beam out coordinates in order to secure our departure.

Proceeding without Toran, we were able to question several non-Orion individuals within the outpost and learned that Selomi had indeed been taken into custody. She was being held in a section where the Orions are rumored to hold their interrogations. Accessing a computer console, Lt. Cmdr. Stewart was able to determine the location of the interrogation room. Upon approaching the room in question, we found our way blocked by a locked door. Officer Stewart attempted to activate the fire suppression system in order to "trick" the door into opening. This tactic proved successful and provided the added benefit of masking our entrance into the room; where we were able to subdue the Orion interrogators without difficulty.

Once the fire suppression system was de-activated, Operative Selomi was discovered being held in a prison cell powered by a level 6 forcefield. Analysis of the cell revealed that the only option available to deactivate the cell was to obtain the cipher code from an Orion named Errahd. Proceeding back to the recreation area of the outpost where we had originally inquired about Selomi's whereabouts, we were able to learn that Errahd had beamed aboard Vahnya M'lani's starship. Vahnya M'lani is the Orion in charge of this sector of the Syndicate and a ranking member of the Syndicate's higher command structure. In order to convince Errahd to return to the station, we needed to devise a plan that would lure him away from the starship.

Further discussion with the patrons of the outpost revealed that Errahd was very narcissistic and boastful about his prowess in the outpost's "fighting pits." It was said that he often would leave the middle of almost any activity if he received a challenge from a worthy opponent. Seeing no alternative, I informed an individual by the name of "Krigaar," who runs the fighting pits, of my desire to challenge Errahd to combat. With the assistance of my officers, who seemed to quite enjoy embellishing my combat record, I was able to exaggerate my prowess in hand-to-hand combat. I believed at first that my officers had overdone their enthusiasm and excitement at seeing me enter into what is truly a barbaric event. The particular comment about my being a "destroyer of men" I found particularly overdone by the good Doctor. However, their performance proved sufficient to interest Mr. Krigaar into contacting Errahd.

Errahd informed Krigaar that he would beam down immediately to face his Federation challenger. The individual that beamed down was quite large even for an Orion. He offered several snide comments regarding my Vulcan heritage, expecting to obtain an emotional reaction no doubt. I did not provide him the satisfaction, which prompted several more minutes of his boastful ranting. I found the entire exchange wasteful as it did nothing to determine who the better combatant was. However, such events tend to include fanfare and I allowed it to proceed before finally proceeding to the fighting pit.

Mr. Errahd proved to be as overconfident in his strength as he did in his words. Taking up a defensive posture, it was not long before he attempted to lunge at me in order to knock me to the ground. A well timed side step and I was in position to deliver the battle ending maneuver. The contest in its entirety lasted for only a few moments before I was able to subdue him with a Vulcan Nerve Pinch. I then began to quickly search his person for the access code to Selomi's cell. I must confess that I do not always understand emotional species and their responses to various situations. My search of Errahd was oddly met by an eruption of laughter and cheers from the patrons who had formed an audience for the fight. Unfortunately, despite their enthusiasm, my inspection did not reveal an access code to Selomi's cell. The only item found was a device, which seemed to have a simple control mechanism.

I returned to Toran and showed him the device, which he was able to identify as a site-to-site transport device used to beam to Vahnya M'lani's ship. The device was needed because of Vahnya M'lani's orders that shields remain up at all times that she was aboard ship. With the device activated, Commander Stewart and I beamed aboard the starship and began to scout for an access code to release Selomi. Doctor LaPorte stayed behind with Toran after noting that Selomi would need to have several wounds treated prior to transport once she was freed.

Once aboard, we found very few security forces, which I believe was based on Vahnya's overconfidence that nobody would be able to get aboard her ship. Overconfidence appears to be a trait that is common among the Orion. With little difficulty, we were able to make our way into the central core at the center of the ship and began to search through the records database. During our search aboard the ship, we were able to discover several key intelligence files on Orion activities, many of them in Federation territory near vital installations. This alarming and vital information was downloaded, but we were still unable to discover the access code to Selomi's cell.

It was determined that the access code was located in a more secure area. Considering Vahnya's orders to keep the shields up, I determined that the logical place for such information would be on the bridge or Vahnya's ready room. We proceeded to the bridge through a secondary access point, where we were met by Vahnya M'lani herself and several of her Orion subjects. Weapons fire erupted and filled the room as both sides attempted to subdue the other. Fortunately, the access point we had chosen provided superior concealment and we were able to secure the bridge.

I informed Vahnya that we would be taking her into custody based on the information found in her records. She stated that the Orion Syndicate does not surrender and that they would rather die than be taken captive. She then ingested a form of suicide pill, which began to take immediate effect. Despite our best efforts, we were unable to stabilize her before she succumbed to the effects of the pill.

I would break from the report of the mission details to state that Vahnya M'lani was a formidable individual and an obvious threat to the Federation's security. Despite these facts and her decision to enter into criminal activity, her life and all lives of those in the Syndicate should maintain a high level of value. I acknowledge that the decision to commit suicide is in keeping with the beliefs of her people, but I find it needless and wasteful to take life in such a manner. To that end, I ordered that the body of Vahnya M'lani be beamed aboard the El Dorado for further study by Doctor LaPorte. Perhaps it will be possible to devise an antidote or countering agent to the effects of this pill.

Returning to the details of our mission, once Vahnya's body was securely beamed aboard ship, Commander Stewart and I proceeded to search through Vahnya's personal database. Among many files regarding past and present operations throughout the sector, we were able to discover the access codes used to operate the holding cells on the outpost. Once freed, Doctor LaPorte was able to tend to Selomi's wounds and clear her for transport to the ship.

With our mission completed, I ordered all members of the away team to beam back aboard the El Dorado. We have set course for Starbase 11 where Starfleet Intelligence will debrief both Toran and Selomi. I have conducted an informal debriefing of my own with the operatives. Fascinating to note, there appears to be a certain level of fondness between the two of them. Although neither will comment on the subject directly, I do believe that this new information may explain Toran's behavior at our initial meeting. Furthermore, I believe that Mr. Toran has proven himself to be a trustworthy and capable individual.

I have left instruction that the cloaking device be activated and remain online until we have safely re-entered Federation territory in approximately two hours and 38 minutes. We will then reach Starbase 11 within an additional two hours, where I anticipate that we will be debriefed and receive orders for our next assignment.

With the presence of the Undine, the recent Borg attack, and newly discovered information about Orion Syndicate activities, our next assignment will undoubtedly be...interesting.

End Report

Foundry Mission: The Syndicate Extraction
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log: Stardate 92019.77

I have received notification from Starfleet Command that the El Dorado has been selected to participate in the Alpha Flight program. This is an elite pilot training program designed to test the abilities of those participating and hone their flight skills. Invitations to this training have been extended to multiple species throughout the Federation and its allies.

Although I typically applaud any attempt to further the training and improvement of one's abilities, the parameters of this "program" appear to be suited more towards a contest than that of true curriculum studies. I found this to be most peculiar and commented as such during my discussion with Admiral Quinn. Although I have often found the admiral to be an adapt listener, I believe in this circumstance his "enthusiasm" for the course seemed to outweigh his auditory senses. It took several attempts before the admiral understood that I did not share his enthusiasm.

Despite my understanding that selection into this program is considered a great honor, I cautioned that participating in such an event was an inefficient use of our time and resources; especially with the recent threats of the Borg and Undine. The admiral disagreed, citing that the situations and experiences the pilot receive may prove beneficial in a combat situation. Especially against a species like the Undine.

After several minutes of discussion, the admiral felt that it would be beneficial for me to attend with the crewman I selected for the program. That way I would be able to see firsthand what benefits the program offered. Finding no logical reason to decline the invitation, I have made arrangements to attend the training program along with our helmsman, Ensign Cassey Weissinger.

Because this program carries such a high level of prestige, I would like to note for the log that significant thought was given regarding my selection of the crewman attending. Several of the officers in the El Dorado's crew roster highlight impressive flight records and any one of them would be well deserving of selection. However, my ultimate selection was based on recent events and Ensign Weissinger's performance in several critical situations. Most notably, during our recent mission to the Veela System, the ensign demonstrated several instances of quick thinking and resourcefulness that positively contributed to the final outcome. Because the parameters of this training program will require similar tactics, I believe that Ms. Weissinger would be the most fitting choice to attend.

I have issues instructions to have our new Delta Flyer class vessel, Leonidas, prepared for launch at 0730 hours tomorrow morning.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Ensign Cassey Weissinger's Personal Log: Stardate 92021.77

We are T-minus 1 hour from departure for the Alpha Flight training course. THE Alpha Flight school!!! I can still hardly believe that the admiral would select me to attend something so prestigious. Especially with all the worthy candidates onboard!!!

Like Libby Susana for instance. Granted, when she got her lieutenant pips she made the switch to the command track, so she hasn't been behind the helm in a few months, but still! That girl can fly this ship between two colliding stars going nova, blindfolded, and never once singe the hull plating!

The admiral tells me that he has "high regard for my piloting skills and believes me worthy of the honor this program bestows." Libby tells me that's high praise from a Vulcan.

I have to say that it's been great having her support with the upcoming training, she's been my biggest cheerleader; offering all kinds of helpful into what types of challenges I may face and insight into who might be there. She's been following this school for years and knows all the big name winners from at least the last two decades!

Apparently the Federation News Service (FNS) does a huge exposé on the training each year and several participants are repeatedly invited just so that they can take part in the final leg of the course...the shuttle royale around the system. Libby says it's one of the most grueling and intense flight courses ever designed and each year they change it up to make it just a bit different...and a bit harder! She's always wanted to fly it, but only participants in the training program are allowed access at the end of the course. It's super challenging and I'm super excited to get to fly it!

*pause in recording*

Oh, I just looked at the chronometer, I'd better wrap this up and get ready to depart. Lieutenant Karal, our resident Klingon Engineer, will be here any moment to escort me to the shuttle bay. He says it's a warrior's duty to escort comrades to the arena when they will be facing single combat. Since the El Dorado won't be heading to the training itself, he said the shuttlebay will have to do. Libby thinks he's got a crush on me, especially with all the grunting she says he does when I walk in the room. *giggles* I don't know, but he is kind of cute. Something to think about when I get back.

Speaking of getting back, I hope the next time I report in, I will be sporting a pair of gold wings! That's what the top student and winner of the shuttle royale receives!

Till then, Ensign Weissinger signing off!

Editor's Note:

I want to take a moment to give Survivor credit for the model of including the perspectives of other crewman in the telling of the logs, since I'm using the story layout he's provided. I thought his additions from those perspectives gave the telling of the missions that true "Trek" feel from the series, so above is my attempt to do the same.
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Captain's Log, Stardate: 92024.7:

Ensign Weissinger and I have completed the first day of our journey to the Alpha Flight school. The travel time has been fairly routine with sensors reading nothing of significance along our flight path. Readings did capture a stellar nebula at 07:35 hrs designated the Mutara Nebula; however, this phenomena was cataloged many decades earlier.

The ensign has informed me that trips such as these often require us to "pass the time." I suggested that one might attempt to meditate or review one of the many literary novels in the computer's library. Pursuits of a most intellectual nature. The ensign suggested instead that we participate in a game called, "I Spy." I must admit that I was not familiar with this recreational activity and found it to be quite challenging. Not only because it was a cognitive exercise, but also because ensign is quite adept at the strategy of this game. Her suggestion for the letter "U" was most puzzling and I stated as much to her as I...

*RED ALERT KLAXON SOUNDS*

*Ensign Weissinger can be heard in the background*

"Admiral, sensors indicate Undine vessels nearby...they're on the outskirts of the sensors range and moving fast."

"Ensign, confirm their course. Are they heading in our direction?"

"No, sir. They appear to be heading...Admiral, we've received a priority distress call from Starbase 85. They are under attack from Undine forces and are requesting immediate assistance. Their message indicates approximately 14 shuttles heading for their location and have acknowledged their hails. Sir, those must be some of the participants for the flight training. I thought we might run into some of them enroute."

"Acknowledged, Ensign. Analysis of the starbase's situation."

"Sir, the Starbase's message indicates several Undine vessels. Sensors register one Undine escort and one battleship heading in that direction. Those shuttles will have their hands full with that many ships."

"Correction, Ensign, we will have our hands full. Arm weapons and set course for the starbase. I will acknowledge their hail and inform them of our intent to render aid. I am also dispatching a message to the El Dorado."

"Sir, the El Dorado is at least 6 hours away at maximum warp. They can't possibly get here in time and they are the closest starship!"

"Agreed, Ensign, but we must attempt to warn Starfleet of this latest attack and, at last report, the El Dorado is the closest vessel to do so...

...In the meantime, let us hope that the addition of one more shuttle will aid in repelling the Undine invaders."

*Log ends abruptly*
    Soral
    Soral Medals
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Grandfathered

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Helm Officer's Log, Stardate: 92025.44 - Ensign Cassey Weissinger recording:

I guess this is actually the "acting captain's log" since I'm the only able bodied crewman aboard the Leonidas. The shuttle is currently in the docking back of Starbase 85, or what's left of it after the Undine attack. I guess I shouldn't get the cart before the horse...

Admiral Soral and I joined the battle against the Undine forces at approximately 0847 hours with only the starbase and 23 shuttles to fend off the would-be invaders. 15 of the shuttles, including the Leonidas, were confirmed to be participants in the upcoming Alpha Flight training school while remaining were Starfleet officers assigned to the Starbase. Upon our arrival, the battle was well underway with the shuttles having formed into raiding teams and focusing their fire on the battlecruiser. The starbase was holding its own against two Undine escorts and one cruiser.

With regard to the shuttles, I must say that their skill and ability to fly not only in tight quarters, but as a team truly demonstrated that each of these pilots were deserving of their invitation to the flight school. In fact, some of the pilots at the starbase should be considered for the program as they matched their counterparts move for move throughout the engagement!

Each team made several striding passes across the bow of the Undine battlecruiser, flanking the ship from various angles. Admiral Soral and I joined the team commanded by a Klingon named Korah, who had been dispatched by the Klingon Defense Force to attend the flight school as part of our renewed peace agreement. Although this was a Federation starbase and Admiral Soral technically should have taken commend, the battle was well underway and the Admiral believed that matters of "territorial jurisdiction" could wait until later. The Admiral also stated that he knew of Korah and that he had proved himself to be a talented pilot, but an even more skilled strategist many times over. The way the Admiral spoke, it sounded as though they had faced each other before, possibly on the opposite side of a battlefield.

Korah's team, our team, served as the final assault wave of the raiding runs against the battlecruiser. Korah informed us that the shuttles needed to even the odds for the starbase and try to draw the attention of as many ships as possible. He ordered that we fly straight behind the third wave of "raiders" and wait for them to break off. When they did we flew straight forward with weapons blazing. The Undine battlecruiser had focused all of their attention on the third group of shuttle, attempting to lock onto them as they made their escape. This left a clear line of fire for our group and with our combined weapons focused on the same mark, we were able to cause a significant breach in their shields and score some direct hits on their hull.

With that much damage, the battlecruiser had no choice but to turn their attentions towards our group. However, by that time, the first group of shuttles had seen Korah's strategy and had ordered the second group of shuttles to follow them in a similar manner. This gave us a chance to escape and double back for another passing run. Eventually, each team of shuttles was joined by another, with one playing decoy and attacking from various points around the battlecruiser. We also flew in close proximity, so it made it even more difficult for the Undine to lock onto us.

Soon the cruiser broke off its battle with the starbase and turned their attention towards the shuttles in an attempt to render aid to the battlecruiser. We never registered any communications between the vessels, but with the Undine's psychological abilities, I wonder what that distress call must've sounded like. It had to be strange to hear a battlecruiser request assisting in fending off a bunch of shuttlecraft!

The cruiser started to make things difficult for us though as we ended up losing two shuttles with their initial volley. Several other ships, including the Leonidas had taken direct fire as well, which is when the Admiral was injured. His console blew up and the concussive force sent him flying across the flight deck. I programmed in a series of evasive patterns into the helm so that I could check on him. He was badly hurt with severe burns and a concussion, and at least a broken shoulder. I was able to stabilize his vitals with the emergency med kit before returning to the helm and attempt to keep us both alive.

Until then, we had only registered minor damage on any of our vessels. And although we had caused a great deal of damage, the battlecruiser was still heavily armed and a serious threat as well. With weapons fire on either side, we had no choice but to change our strategy. With two ships to deal with, Korah instructed our two groups of shuttles to make our attack runs from the port side of the battlecruiser, keeping the weapons of the cruiser itself on the opposite side of the ship. Thus leaving us with only one problem to deal with. The other two groups of shuttles did the same, but with the cruiser instead, thus putting the Undine ships in a crossfire if either truly attempted to help out the other.

With our earlier strategy no longer a viable option with just a handful of shuttles, Korah ordered that we fly straight in at the battlecruiser and fight at close quarters. Our group of 11 shuttles huddled into a tight formation, with the Leonidas in the front alongside Korah. This made our group harder to hit as we were a very thinly aligned form moving almost as one and were able to avoid the majority of the ship's weapons fire. One of the shuttles, a tellarite by the name of Bortch, whose craft had been damaged by the cruiser was unable to maintain formation. As the weapons fire began to get more intense, Bortch spun his shuttle out of our group and made a run at the battlecruiser's warp engines. Although damaged, he was able to avoid being hit for several seconds. His piloting skills were like nothing I had ever seven as he almost appeared to will his broken shuttle around the barrage of weapons fire. Unfortunately, his shuttle could not maintain those maneuvers for long and he suffered a direct hit to his engines, causing his shuttle to explode. Korah would later say that when the Klingons sang of this battle, Bortch would receive his own verse of honor and that Korah himself would write it.

With the added seconds that Bortch had bought us, the shuttles were able to maneuver in close to the battlecruiser. Korah then signaled for us to break formation and we began to fly at full impulse speeds around the battlecruiser. It was truly an amazing display of piloting to see all these shuttles literally flying circles around this massive ship. I'm not sure the Undine aboard quite know what to make of it. Shuttles were pitching, weaving, and rolling as they flew along, over, under, and through parts of the Undine ship. Weapons firing at weak spots and key systems as we flew! We were like a horde of wasps constantly stinging the beast and just staying out of reach of its claws and teeth!

At least, that's what came to mind as I had the Leonidas pulling off one maneuver after another as I tried to not get hit by weapons fire while keeping our own weapons trained on target. In truth, I can barely remember much about those moments as fast as everything was happening, but I do know that I've I never been a part of anything like it. Even the flight simulations I've gone through for close quarter, high speed combat couldn't recreate what we were doing...what "I" was doing at the helm of the shuttle. The adrenaline rush was nothing like I'd felt before!

Finally, the moment came where the battle turned in our favor as sensors registered an explosion near the starbase. By pulling the cruiser over to deal with the shuttles, the starbase had been able to overpower the Undine escorts. The explosion was one of those vessels having taken a critical hit and being destroyed. Even better than that was that the explosion was close enough to the cruiser that it knocked out their shields, which allowed for the shuttles fighting it to take advantage and score several direct hits on some of its vital systems. The starbase was then able to make short work of the remaining escort, disabling it's weapons and engines, before turning its weapons on the battlecruiser.

With both of the remaining Undine vessels having taken significant damage and now having to deal with the firepower of a starbase, the battle was over in a matter of moments. After several direct phaser hits, sensors showed that life support and weapons were both failing on the cruiser. It was able to maneuver itself so that it faced away from the main concentration of fire that it was taking and engage their engines to warp. The battlecruiser was in far worse shape and the starbase was able to score a critical hit to their engineering department. Sensors registered a cascade explosion starting in their engines and Korah's voice came over the comm system, ordering all of the shuttles to make emergency speed away from the ship. I just got the Leonidas clear before the ship exploded, but not clear enough that we weren't partially caught up in the aftershock. The shuttle shook pretty badly and our engines, weapons, and sensors got blown out completely. We couldn't fight, move, or see how far we'd been carried by the shockwave, but life support held and we were alive.

It took some time for me to get my bearing and calm down after all of that. One of the starbase pilots, I think his name was Patrick, hailed that he was locking on a tractor beam and pulling us towards the base. As we neared the docking bay, Patrick caught me up to speed on what had happened after we'd gone dead in the water.

All in all, we lost a total of five shuttles during the attack, including Bortch and two others that were going to the Alpha Flight school. The starbase itself took some heavy damage and lost approximately 137 crewman during the battle. What shuttles were still operational began a search and rescue mission for any surviving shuttles and for crewmen in areas of the starbase that had been blocked off when main power had been lost. I've been told that crewmen were actually found alive and mostly well, so the search was not in vain.

The U.S.S. Spartan and U.S.S. Endeavor arrived during the initial start of the search and rescue, lending their shuttles to the effort. They've also assisted in getting the starbase back up to running again. Starfleet is sending out the Corp. of Engineers to conduct the major repairs to the base, but the hope is to have main power back online by tomorrow. Several hull breaches, including a huge hole where the recreation center used to be, will need to be handled by the engineers. Force fields litter the entire body of the base at present and is a pretty grim sight to see.

The El Dorado will be arriving at the base within the hour. At which point the Leonidas will be transferred aboard and the remaining repairs made. We lost our engines, weapons, and have some pretty deep tears in some of the hull plating along the underside of the ship. The dorsel fin also took some damage and I've already been told by Chief Glan that he is a very unhappy Ferengi knowing that the Leonidas was damaged, but also quite proud of how it held up in the fight. He asked me three times to give him all the details of the battle and how the ship did before Commander Bashir took control of the comm.

I gave the Commander a full report on the events and on the Admiral's condition. His shoulder and right ankle were both broken when he flew across the flight deck. Apparently the ankle was shattered since it bore all of the weight of his body when he hit the bulkhead. The doctors have repaired the damage and he is resting in Sickbay. The concussion gave the doctors some concern, although one of them pointed out that Vulcans were too thick-headed and stubborn to have concussions. She was a young doctor, or a young "country doctor" as she liked to tell me, but seemed to know what she was talking about. She said her family had a long history of being doctors and one of her great grandparents had been a chief medical officer aboard a starship. Apparently one of the senior officers had been a Vulcan, but she never got a chance to finish telling me about her great grandfather or which ship he had served on before she was called away to deal with an incoming critical patient. Her orders were to keep the Admiral overnight for observation, but stated before she left that he would make a full recovery.

Commander Bashir stated they had been ordered to remain in the area and assist with repairs on the starbase. She also informed me that they'd received word that, because of recent events, the Alpha Flight Training Program would be temporarily on hold. The organizers of the event say it is temporary and all invitations will be honored when the program re-opens in a few weeks.

In the meantime, Korah has requested and been granted permission to hold a Klingon ceremony of honor for those lost during the battle. I'm not familiar with Klingon customs, so I'm not sure which of their many rituals he's referring to. I've confirmed my attendance though and look forward to honoring our fallen comrades. Several of which I was looking forward to meeting at the training school. I'm to report aboard the Endeavor at 1700 hours and make my way to their recreation center where the ceremony will be held. Commander Bashir will be joining me at the ceremony as well, filling in for the Admiral as acting captain.
    Soral
    Soral Medals