Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

34.77% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Following on from what is now the first part of a two part community log from myself, I'd like to thank all those that have submitted feedback and those who have responded to the initial thread. I and the rest of FEO are very pleased with how it has been received thus far and it instils confidence that we should continue to do such an initiative on a continual basis.

"The Community Logs are a series of blog themed posts by the UFPlanets.com's leading administrators who each week, update the community on the latest projects and work that is on-going."

This aim of this Part 2 log, is to demonstrate FEO's continuing promise to deliver what is necessary for this community to thrive. We have therefore all taken part to write up a series of SMART objectives to explain some of what we're up to. It by all means does not demonstrate all of the work that we do on a daily/weekly basis but does show where our goals lie in the coming months.

For those unaware and to give some quick background, SMART is a very common 'tool' to help people narrow down their visionary goals into practical objectives or tasks to complete.

Specific - What exactly you intend to achieve.
    Measurable - There must be a clear way of demonstrating whether or not you have achieved your goal.
    Achievable - Your goal must be something you can realistically be expected to deliver on although it should still be somewhat challenging.
    Relevant - It needs to be something that in some way addresses feedback that has been received or will improve member experience.
    Time-bound - You must commit to a deadline as to when you will complete your objective.

Thank you to Chris for compiling most of these..

BONDGADGET
    HEAD OF COMMUNITY ADMINISTRATION

FEDERATION ADMINISTRATIVE BUREAU OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To have completed and implemented all changes with the Federation Administrative Bureau and improve the administration of the Community
    Deadline: December 2014

Recently, following my return to full time duties, I have been looking at how the Bureau can improve itself to become a smoother functioning body where all of the staff are involved in discussion and activities that the Bureau goes. With the creation of the Executive Officer position and the restructuring of the sub-teams, I am hopeful that by December 2014 the Federation Administrative Bureau will be smoother running and be able to offer assistance not only to its members with regards to administration, but also will be able to offer the other divisions and departments a place to turn for help with project creation. This may lead to offering new opportunities for members to join the department in new positions and also creating an easier way of working with the administration.

Goal: To turn Federation Administrative Bureau into a project assisting body, which helps the community and other departments/divisions with project creation and advancement
    Deadline: April 2015

What has been a long term goal for me in the Bureau has been to create an area which can help with the progression of projects which the other divisions and departments are working on. This could be done in any manner which the project leads feel fit. Creating a team specifically dedicated to helping with projects and there developments would really help with other projects that may come up in the future. As this is a long term goal, I expect this to be completed round about March/April 2015.

FEDERATION COUNCIL OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To increase communication between the Council and the members in order to move the Federation Council to become a truly representative body

One of the main concerns that have come up recently through my conversation with members, candidates and Councillors is that there is a need for improving communication with the members of the community. The Council was our way of saying we want to be able to communicate with YOU more, we want to hear YOUR voice and YOUR opinions and that most of all we want YOU to get involved. With that in mind, through creating more outlets for members to give there opinions I hope that by the next election (December 2014) the Federation Council will have progressed into becoming a body which represents the feelings of the community.

Goal: To ensure that the voting tally for the next election (December 2014) reaches over 100 members

The election is process is a great way of attaining the attention from the members and the support of the membership for the Federation Council. Though it only got 56 votes in the special election that was conducted a few weeks ago, it is my objective to raise the profile of the Council and by doing so increase the involvement and support of the membership. The Federation Council has great potential to become a project creating body which works on and shows support for the members. Its a great outlet for members to work on projects they want to achieve and its a good place to make sure your feedback is heard. Attaining over 100 members voting in the next election would be a huge success.

CEHUS
    HEAD OF EXTERNAL AFFAIRS

FEDERATION NEWS SERVICE OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To complete work on the ufplanets.com newsletter
    Deadline: Quarter 4 2014

For those who don't know, the ufplanets.com Newsletter has been an ongoing project for the past several months. We've been hard at work planing the execution and delivery methods of this project. All that is left to accomplish is the technological aspects of this project. I intend on working with Jordan and Sharpkiller to accomplish this as soon as possible.

Goal: Provide more regular exclusive Star Trek News for the Community

I pledge to bring more exciting interviews to the Ufplanets community. Since November of last year, we've had interviews with Trekmovie, key members of Perfect World and Cryptic Studios staff, and a voice actor for Star Trek Online. I plan to (and am currently in the process of) redoubling my efforts to bring even more excitement to the front page of the UFP! Stay tuned to the Community Announcements Forum for chances at submitting questions for interviews!

Goal: Improved response time on articles
    Deadline: January 2015

The crux of the problem with print media is it takes time to produce. I endeavor to expand and work with FNS's writing and editing staff to do whatever it takes to get our stories out faster. Our articles will never be as fast as a copied and pasted paragraph and a catchy title from somewhere else, but we can do a lot in terms of the speed in which our content is produced. Specific components of my plan to address are increasing both the writing and editing staff to bring on a more global coverage, so we can be on top of a story, no matter the time of day. I'm hoping by January 2015, new staff will be trained and in position to handle what ever comes our way!

CHRISTOPHER HALSEY
    HEAD OF MEMBER EXPERIENCE

FEDERATION EXECUTIVE OFFICE OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To commit to producing a Community Log/Supplemental Community Log at least once a month.
    Deadline: Ongoing, review monthly.

I definitely think there is scope for FEO to communicate more about how the UFP is run, each FEO member is now required to produce one log every 8 weeks, I'm going to commit to delivering at least one log every 4 weeks.

STARFLEET ACADEMY OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To respond to all feedback provided for Starfleet Academy from the recent survey.
    Deadline: 15th of September 2014.

Feedback is very important, if we don't know what it is members want then it is very hard to give them what they want. To try and encourage more feedback I'm going to commit to responding to every piece of feedback that Starfleet Academy received during the recent survey to show that feedback is valued and that it is beneficial.

Goal: To replace the Administration Exam and it's associated materials.
    Deadline: 30th of November 2014.

The current Administration Exam could definitely use an update. It is important that we do the best to help members that want to serve the community by giving them the best start.

Goal: To replace the Command Exam and it's associated materials.
    Deadline: 31st of January 2015.

Very few people that take the current Command Exam actually go in to CL5 or higher positions. I feel that we need to do a better job to make sure that the Command Exam is completely relevant and is suitably challenging to give a better indication of someone's leadership ability.

LAZERETH
    HEAD OF COMMUNITY SOCIAL AFFAIRS

FEDERATION EXECUTIVE OFFICE OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: To compile and release our PR development plan for 2015

The PR development plan will allow us to evaluate the strengths and weaknesses of our public relations over the course of 2014, and set measurable targets for what we wish to accomplish in the proceeding year. In addition, a six month schedule of specific events/competitions will be created to establish a foundation of how we can build upon our relations over that period of time; with a date set in June 2015 to update our plan for the remaining six months of the year - allowing for suitable accountability for changes that might occur. This will allow us to have a structured and considered approach to the development of our social media, community relations, and member recruitment.

Goal: To establish monthly Star Trek Online related competitions, and prize give-aways

The one persistent issue that we have been trying to address over the past several months is to find ways to bridge the gap between the forums and Star Trek Online, so that members use both in tandem more frequently. A way to do this is to provide fun, and interesting methods to get people to visit the forums, that provides benefits to them in-game; such as competitions to provide rewards to our members, and raffles to not only support the community, but also allow us to host substantial give-aways.

MIKESTER
    HEAD OF STARFLEET

STARFLEET COMMAND OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: Conduct a review of division performance in response to specific feedback and data from the community survey
    Deadline: November 2014

The amount of feedback and data given in the recent community survey allows me to conduct a review of division performance without having to dig too far. While all areas in the fleet have a pretty high approval rating, the constructive feedback given can still be easily grouped into specific fields of concern. Be it through policy changes and/or division command and staff reviews, I hope to see most if not all of these specific concerns raised addressed by the next survey; which will tell us if the review brought forth more improvements. This review will conclude, at the latest, by the end of November but can finish much faster assuming that any decisions made are executed promptly.

Goal: To stimulate the creation of more Pacific Time Zone events to accommodate members outside the GMT and EST time zones

One consistent concern raised since the dawn of STO has been UFP's support for more Pacific events. Considering that the majority of members in the community are American, it should be a no brainer that we need to support more events for these players. Pacific events not only accommodate the West Coast, but accommodate our East Coast American members who play in the evening when GMT events are long finished. It'll be clear when we are successful in this endeavor when more PST events appear on the Events Page. It is my hope that by the end of the year the UFP will further support this timezone.

JORDAN & SHARPKILLER
    JOINT HEADS OF TECHNICAL SERVICES

ENGINEERING OBJECTIVE(S)

Goal: Work with FNS to implement a Newsletter by the end of the year

Our goal is to work with the Federation News Service to implement a flexible Newsletter system further expand our news reach. It will take some time and testing to ensure that this system will meet our needs.

Goal: Implement the new academy system early next year
    Deadline: March 2015

The Academy overhaul is quite extensive and will require quite a bit of time to implement. We had originally designed the system to be extremely robust at multiple choice exams as at the time the goal was to allow people to progress quickly through the Academy. The new system requires essay questions and manual marking capabilities that will require the system to be largely rethought from the ground up.

LYNXMUKKA
    COMMUNITY LEAD ADMINISTRATOR

SPECIFIC PROJECT OBJECTIVES

Goal: Work with NeoTrident to create Star Trek Book Club concepts
    Deadline: Beginning of October 2014

My goal is to work with NeoTrident and Jordan/Sharpkiller to further iron out concept ideas for the Star Trek Book Club project and draw out finalised designs for use down the road.

Goal: Create further revised designs for current website to send to Jordan/Sharpkiller
    Deadline: End of September 2014

This is to revise the header for the website in order to reduce its height, show more options that are aligned to current web design trends amongst other benefits.

Other Goals:
    Several other projects are on-going ("Project Constellation") but cannot yet reveal at this time.

FEO OBJECTIVES

Goal: Introduce a new method of monitoring FEO activity and performance

As ultimately being currently responsible for the lead administrative body, I have to ensure I'm as best a leader as I can be and that the specific body I lead is at a level which is in 'control'.

Goal: Assist in launching a revised UFP Code of Conduct/Constitution with Bondgadget76
    Deadline: November 2014

As the UFP has evolved, we have tended to build upon the rules that we already have in place. This means that in technicality, we have at least 4 different documents of rules (CoC, Forum Rules, CPAs, EPAs etc) and the goal here is to formulate these rules into one defining document, while also creating a 'sister' document which details agreed procedures to situations etc. This is to simplify and be more effective.

That concludes my community log for the next few weeks. I hope you've enjoyed it and look forward to the next one that is coming in a few more days. Smile

As always, we encourage people to comment to show their thoughts and feedback.
    LynxMukka Medals
    • Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Fri 21 Dec, 2018 12:03 AM

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Civilian
      Rare (50 Points)

Leave Starfleet for a career in the Federation Government

Unlocked Tue 19 Nov, 2013 9:29 PM

0.09% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Grandfathered

0.22% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Grandfathered

0.69% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    There are some really good and achievable targets here. I will be working to ensure my targets are kept and will give some details in my upcoming log entry. I will maybe add some really bad jokes in there just to amuse you all, no doubt to rave reviews Wink
    Bondgadget76 Medals
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 11 Apr, 2015 8:34 PM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

Grandfathered

1.31% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Grandfathered

0.69% have received this achievement

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Thu 04 Aug, 2022 4:06 PM

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Wed 15 Jul, 2015 9:27 PM

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    This is an excellent update, I really appreciate the length and depth of this new format. Although initial feedback in the first thread has been mostly positive, do not let criticism (constructive or otherwise) dissuade you from these types of updates in the future. It is imperative to keep communication going as it helps maintain an important connection with the greater community.

I also wanted to give some kudos to the SMART format used here. I am impressed. It would be helpful to have the mission statements for each division updated on the main website at some point, but I understand this work is already underway.

Bondgaget: You mentioned possible creation of a project team as part of FAB operations. Do you intend this to be more of a PMO organization or something else? What is the current status of forum reorganization?

Federation Council:
    I think the goal of greater voter participation has merit, but I believe the bigger challenge for the council will be how to connect with a large inactive constituent base. I see efforts to address that with the introduction of representative meetings, which is positive. One of the biggest obstacles will be reaching the portion of our community who do not participate on the forums or TS3 regularly. The UFP counts nearly 900+ active user accounts, but I believe the active count of forum contributors to be somewhere near the ~100 mark. Perhaps a monthly newletter, in-game events, or contributions to PR campaigns and FNS efforts would help?

Cehus:
    I honestly have no complaints regarding response times and publishing delays on articles. I use UFP news as my first choice when looking for Trek related gaming updates already, so the FNS team has already made a significant impact on my daily must read list. If I could have one wish for FNS, it would be to see at least one news article per day, but to do so requires a lot more content sources than are realistically available right now. I am really proud of the writers and editors we already have on the team, everyone here produces professional quality work.

Jordan and Sharpkiller: Any plans to link website chat to TS3 text-chat? Not sure of the technical complexity, but it would be cool to see them both linked for convenience.

Lynx: What's Project Constellation? I just had to ask... Klingon Grin
    Daedalus
    Daedalus Medals
  1. Fleet Admiral

• Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:56 PM

0.24% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Set Phasers To Frag
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win an Annual Elite Force Tournament

Unlocked Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:24 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Top Brass
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach the highest Starfleet Rank

Unlocked Sat 17 Dec, 2016 10:30 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• To Infinity and Beyond
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach ten-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.02% have received this achievement

• Hearthstone Tournament Winner
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win the annual Hearthstone Tournament

Unlocked Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:08 PM

0.01% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I will maybe add some really bad jokes in there just to amuse you all, no doubt to rave reviews Wink
    Personally, I'm a big fan of bad jokes, like the one about sodium, Na, forget it Tongue Out

Certainly some interesting projects looking to be coming up, so I will look forward to seeing them, we edge closer to the end of this year now, any word on some other projects for next year or are you going to make us wait for some of them Tongue Out
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Thu 25 Feb, 2021 8:03 AM

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Civilian
      Rare (50 Points)

Leave Starfleet for a career in the Federation Government

Unlocked Wed 09 Jul, 2014 10:55 PM

0.09% have received this achievement

• Editor-and-Chief
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Federation News Service CO

Grandfathered

0.08% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Grandfathered

• Vice Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Vice Admiral

Grandfathered

0.27% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Thank you for the kind words Deadalus. I'd also love to see one or more articles per day. The fastest way that will happen would be to expand the staff. To those interested, FNS is currently recruiting both part and full time writers. I'm confident with a larger staff we will be able to tackle whatever comes our way! Smile