communications relay login

Beltran's Take on the Prime Directive

Started By:
Allan Hood, Thu 08 Sep, 2016 2:15 AM
Views:
Replies:

View Poll Results: Do you agree with the Prime Directive?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

3 60.00%
  • No

2 40.00%
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Sat 09 Feb, 2019 4:04 PM

0.71% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

1.31% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

0.69% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

3.98% have received this achievement

• Poster Child
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach 500 posts on the forums

1.11% have received this achievement

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

1.91% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    When I was younger, the Prime Directive made sense to me. Now that I'm in my 30s, I understand more and more the temptation/need to break the Prime Directive.

"The idea of leaving any species to die in its own filth when you have the ability to help them, just because you wanna let them get through their normal evolutionary processes is bunk -- it's a bunch of fascist crap," he said. "I much prefer the Cub Scout motto."
    http://www.cnet.com/news/star-trek-a...-fascist-crap/

Cub Scout Motto
    To do my duty to God and my country and to obey the Scout Law; To help other people at all times; To keep myself physically strong, mentally awake and morally straight.

fascism
    : a way of organizing a society in which a government ruled by a dictator controls the lives of the people and in which people are not allowed to disagree with the government

On the surface, to compare Starfleet to fascism seems to be incomprehensible and unforgivable. But, does he have a point? On the flipside, people could argue that the Cub Scout motto can be compared to fascism, too.

How do Star Trek fans feel? Should Starfleet personnel be forbidden from interfering with the internal development of alien civilizations? For a developed civilization, should we draw the line at warp technology? Should there be a better line drawn?
    AllanHood Medals
    • Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Wed 16 Jun, 2021 9:01 PM

75.67% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Wed 01 Mar, 2017 8:02 AM

9.74% have received this achievement

• Becoming a Redshirt
      Common (10 Points)

Earn your first respect points

Unlocked Sat 18 Jun, 2016 3:04 PM

12.93% have received this achievement

• Got Orientated
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Orientation Assessment

Unlocked Thu 16 Jun, 2016 4:08 PM

21.53% have received this achievement

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unlocked Thu 16 Jun, 2016 3:06 PM

9.54% have received this achievement

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unlocked Wed 12 Jul, 2017 6:50 PM

0.99% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Ah, the good ol' Prime Directive. I think TNG's Who Watches The Watches is a good exploration of why they have the Prime Directive in the first place, and the need for some sort of rule with a similar function.

The big problem is how rigidly it's enforced, being an absolute unbreakable law (unless you're the main character in a show). Voyager gives some interesting and conflicting episodes dealing with the Prime Directive, though Janeway seems to decide what to do based on what she happened to slip into her coffee that morning. Still, I'm sure I remember at least one occasion where she refused to save a species from extinction because it would violate the Prime Directive.

That is where the problems set in. As a general rule, I can see why Starfleet would want to stay away from civilisations that are not ready to meet alien life. Obviously some sort of guideline has to be put in place to say when this is. Episodes like First Contact show the dangers inherent in meeting new species, and the possible repercussions if something goes wrong.

My problem, as I say, is how it's enforced. If you have a choice between saving a species or letting it die out, you'd think the moral choice would be obvious. If there is a way to save them without interfering, it should absolutely be recommended that option be taken. If there is not, take steps to minimise the damage - like not visibly flying a giant spaceship out of the ocean! TNG showed that they have the capability to infiltrate other species and attempt to help them. This doesn't always work, of course.

The Prime Directive seems to exist because of the fear of "what if we do something wrong?" There are legitimate things to worry about, certainly, but refusing to act due to fear of repercussions or failure seems very incompatible with human nature in the 24th Century. It seems to me that this contradiction, and many of the problems, could be solved by reducing the Prime Directive to a guideline rather than a hard rule. If a Captain encounters a pre-warp species and thinks there's a (very good) reason to interact with them in some capacity, that should either be a decision he is allowed to make or one he can contact Starfleet about to discuss further. And the option to 'interfere' should be there if it is necessary. That the Prime Directive is so inflexible is my biggest issue with it, rather than the fact of its existence.

In regards to the fascism analogy - I don't buy it. That seems to be saying that because the Federation determines how it interacts with other species and cultures, it is akin to a fascist government because they don't get a say. Except the Federation has no power or control over these other societies. It's like saying "our neighbouring country refuses to talk to us and won't let us talk to them, therefore they're fascists." First of all, it is how that country's government interacts with its people that has the greatest effect of classifying what type of government it is. and second, just because they choose not to talk to you doesn't immediately make them moustache twirling villains. So yes, the Prime Directive is problematic, but to compare the Federation to fascism in any way because of it is completely ridiculous.
    • Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 05 Oct, 2018 12:12 AM

0.54% have received this achievement

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 24 Mar, 2018 10:52 PM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Division Pride
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Participate in a Khitomer Games Match

Unlocked Sun 09 Oct, 2016 4:39 PM

0.15% have received this achievement

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Attend a Bridge Commander Tournament

Unlocked Tue 10 Jan, 2017 3:44 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Poster Child
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach 500 posts on the forums

Grandfathered

1.11% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    I agree that it seems a bit archaic for the time period to strictly enforce this rule, I like to think the Prime directive is more a code of conduct or a mission statement more than an unbreakable rule, with the Captain (Commanding officer) of a vessel or task group having the final say upon a course of action (that is why they're in charge after all).
    Nedya
    Nedya Medals
  1. Gold Contributor

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Mon 01 Oct, 2018 10:02 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 25 Mar, 2017 10:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Gold Subscription

Unlocked Tue 10 Jan, 2017 4:00 PM

0.36% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Sun 24 Sep, 2017 7:45 AM

0.22% have received this achievement

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.71% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Unlocked Wed 07 Jan, 2015 2:21 AM

3.98% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Nobody has the right to decide what might be good or bad of another species, or culture. This ultimately lead to a point of view that we know all and everything until we fail, with the technology of the 24th Century a simple mistake could destroy an entire world.

Just imagine, what if a very powerful species decided 40.000 Years ago that the Neanderthals should survive and not the Homo Sapiens none of us would be here.
    That what it make so dangerous playing god, we would assume what is the best for a species and that is a power no-one should ever posses.

The Prime Directive is hard, but we don't have the right to play fate with a species as we don't want that someone else plays with our fate.
    Bridger
    Bridger Medals
    “He who asks a question is a fool for five minutes;
    he who does not ask a question remains a fool forever” ~ Chinese Proverb
    • Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Wed 16 Jun, 2021 9:01 PM

75.67% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Becoming a Redshirt
      Common (10 Points)

Earn your first respect points

Unlocked Sat 18 Jun, 2016 3:04 PM

12.93% have received this achievement

• Got Orientated
      Common (10 Points)

Sit and pass the Orientation Assessment

Unlocked Thu 16 Jun, 2016 4:08 PM

21.53% have received this achievement

• Petty Officer 3rd Class
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Petty Officer 3rd Class

Unlocked Thu 16 Jun, 2016 3:06 PM

9.54% have received this achievement

• Petty Officer 2nd Class
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Petty Officer 2nd Class

Unlocked Wed 12 Jul, 2017 6:50 PM

0.99% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    Nobody has the right to decide what might be good or bad of another species, or culture. This ultimately lead to a point of view that we know all and everything until we fail, with the technology of the 24th Century a simple mistake could destroy an entire world.

Just imagine, what if a very powerful species decided 40.000 Years ago that the Neanderthals should survive and not the Homo Sapiens none of us would be here.
    That what it make so dangerous playing god, we would assume what is the best for a species and that is a power no-one should ever posses.

The Prime Directive is hard, but we don't have the right to play fate with a species as we don't want that someone else plays with our fate.
    I don't think anyone's suggesting the Federation makes decisions like that. The decisions that mostly seem to cause trouble are the ones along the lines of "without intervention a lot of people - perhaps an entire species - will die." Not due to competing with another species, but due to something that can be prevented and most likely without ever letting the species know they were there.

In this situation, it's a choice between deciding whether a species should survive or die. If you choose to let them die, what exactly has been preserved? They're dead. They'll never develop, on their own or otherwise.

I cannot see how the correct decision there could possibly be to refuse to intervene. And since, at least in my mind, that is a definite case where intervention is allowable, I find it hard to say that there is any definitive line that must never be crossed. I am by no means saying it should be Starfleet policy to interfere, only that it is a bad idea to have it as an absolute unbreakable rule not to. It is still a decision never to be taken lightly and only to be made after a lot of consideration and careful planning. But it should be permissible if it can reasonably be shown to be necessary for the preservation of a species or significant number of individuals with at worst minimal risk of cultural contamination.

It definitely should not be used to decide on the direction a less advanced culture should take or alter the balance of power for a species/world.