Sit and pass the Academy Command Exam

Unlocked Sat 05 Aug, 2017 3:02 PM

4.56% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    There's not a lot I have anything against in the posts above. One thing does pinch a bit at my heart and that is we won't have any fighter squad. I've done some of my best work as a fighter pilot back in the old days... Ah well, time to broaden my creative horizon...

One thing I would like to know is what we consider canon. Do we go on after Odo leaves for the Gamma Quadrant and made the federation promise to stay out of the quadrant? Or do we go with the ending that the great link is disbanded each founder (including Laas) going off in a different direction after finding their god dead, leaving Odo the sole founder in control of the Dominion?

If we go with the first premise, what is our reason to break our promise not to enter the Gamma Quadrant and what is the state of the Dominion there?
    If we go with the latter one how shall we approach that? In theory, the Federation does not know about the dispersal of the Founders nor do most of the Dominion's subjects.

Do we have a map of Dominion space, so we can explore non-dominion space in the gamma quadrant?

Personally, i was thinking we actually explore more of the Alpha Quadrant. Last time i looked there was plenty of Alpha left to explore... anyway...

What position would you like me to fill up? Let me know what you guys want me to do.

And i apologize Kerry for bungling up your name. I don't know where that came from. Tongue Out

Good progress people! Would be nice to get the first post up before the x-mas holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to illustrate how important it is to make sure we're on the same page about the gamma quadrant, and to emphasize how much of a role the dominion would play i've found us some maps showing how much of the gamma quadrant is actually dominion space.

Name:  GQ-map-small.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  59.9 KB Name:  gq2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  240.7 KB
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Sat 09 Feb, 2019 4:04 PM

0.71% have received this achievement

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

9.72% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Wed 06 Jan, 2021 11:03 AM

76.29% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

1.31% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

0.70% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

3.98% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Allan Hood; Sat 02 Dec, 2017 3:16 PM.
    There's not a lot I have anything against in the posts above. One thing does pinch a bit at my heart and that is we won't have any fighter squad. I've done some of my best work as a fighter pilot back in the old days... Ah well, time to broaden my creative horizon...

One thing I would like to know is what we consider canon. Do we go on after Odo leaves for the Gamma Quadrant and made the federation promise to stay out of the quadrant? Or do we go with the ending that the great link is disbanded each founder (including Laas) going off in a different direction after finding their god dead, leaving Odo the sole founder in control of the Dominion?

If we go with the first premise, what is our reason to break our promise not to enter the Gamma Quadrant and what is the state of the Dominion there?
    If we go with the latter one how shall we approach that? In theory, the Federation does not know about the dispersal of the Founders nor do most of the Dominion's subjects.

Do we have a map of Dominion space, so we can explore non-dominion space in the gamma quadrant?

Personally, i was thinking we actually explore more of the Alpha Quadrant. Last time i looked there was plenty of Alpha left to explore... anyway...

What position would you like me to fill up? Let me know what you guys want me to do.

And i apologize Kerry for bungling up your name. I don't know where that came from. Tongue Out

Good progress people! Would be nice to get the first post up before the x-mas holidays.

- - - Updated - - -

Just to illustrate how important it is to make sure we're on the same page about the gamma quadrant, and to emphasize how much of a role the dominion would play i've found us some maps showing how much of the gamma quadrant is actually dominion space.

Name:  GQ-map-small.jpg
Views: 68
Size:  59.9 KB Name:  gq2.jpg
Views: 65
Size:  240.7 KB
    I hope we get some fighters, too. Even if they practice drills mostly, I think it's fun to write and read about.

Odo is in charge of the Dominion, regardless. Didn't Odo mean just their section of the GQ? Isn't 4/5 of the GQ not controlled by the Dominion? Besides, Starfleet explored the GQ for two years before discovering the Dominion and isn't the Dominion 70,000 lightyears from DS9? We could just not take the wormhole and just explore it the old fashion way. There are plenty of other species in the GQ that are not part of the Dominion, anyway. The Ferengi even trade with them, right? The Federation can't tell the Ferengi what to do. We'd have to stay out of Dominion space. Even if we use the wormhole, we can just avoid them and accidentally run into them on other worlds or in non-Dominion space.

Very cool map, how canon accurate is that? We should have a link to maps we'll use for our story and deck plans for how we want the Ares to be designed.
    AllanHood Medals
  1. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Gold Subscription

Unlocked Fri 20 Jan, 2017 2:03 PM

0.36% have received this achievement

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Thu 09 Feb, 2023 12:11 AM

34.85% have received this achievement

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

Be the Commanding Officer of the Roleplay Division

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:05 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

Submit a Federation News Service article

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Attend a Bridge Commander Tournament

Unlocked Tue 10 Jan, 2017 3:45 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Participated in an Elite Force tournament

Unlocked Sun 09 Oct, 2016 4:13 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Allan Hood
    I just wanted to have an explanation posted somewhere to explain the irony of it. I'd like to see that explanation posted with the ship, or on the ship's plaque somehow/somewhere.
    It will be done yes Wink
    One thing does pinch a bit at my heart and that is we won't have any fighter squad. I've done some of my best work as a fighter pilot back in the old days...
    I hope we get some fighters, too. Even if they practice drills mostly, I think it's fun to write and read about.
    Well, if both of you are wanting fighters them so be it ! Maquis
    One thing I would like to know is what we consider canon.
    Everything from Memory Alpha. I also wanted to include Memory Beta to open the universe, let me know your thoughts about that.
    Indeed, there is plenty of space to explore in the Alpha Quadrant, it me be a good start staying near home for the beginning (the KISS approach), and if everything goes okay for Ares we could go farther and farther... Big Grin
    1512266480 sans titre 1
    Well, Allan wants to be the Science Officer if I understood correctly, so you can choose too (one suggestion though, i think that it would be better to have an Ares GM as the First Officer)
    We should have a link to maps we'll use for our story and deck plans for how we want the Ares to be designed.
    Will do that, shame that I left this at home in France...
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Allan Hood; Sun 03 Dec, 2017 4:09 AM.
    It will be done yes Wink

Well, if both of you are wanting fighters them so be it ! Maquis

Everything from Memory Alpha. I also wanted to include Memory Beta to open the universe, let me know your thoughts about that.

Indeed, there is plenty of space to explore in the Alpha Quadrant, it me be a good start staying near home for the beginning (the KISS approach), and if everything goes okay for Ares we could go farther and farther... Big Grin
    1512266480 sans titre 1

Well, Allan wants to be the Science Officer if I understood correctly, so you can choose too (one suggestion though, i think that it would be better to have an Ares GM as the First Officer)

Will do that, shame that I left this at home in France...
    haha wow cool, thanks for the fighters!

I was meaning, which maps would we consider to be canon? Right, that book would have been perfect, if anyone else has it, and if we're all cool with it, we can make that part of OUR canon.

As for Memory Beta, we'd probably have to put some boundaries around it because it has more than just the novels, such as STO and other games. I like the idea of using Memory Beta, too.

And, since the novels go past the date we'll probably choose for the Ares mission, we'll kind of know the future of what's to come, though we'll probably be moving really slow.

EXPLOOORE hahaha well, that won me over. Is that map in the book you mentioned?

Isn't this map above from STO? Looks like I see the Tzenkethi down south. Do we have any canon accurate maps?
    AllanHood Medals
    • The Never Ending Sacrifice
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win a Short Story Competition

Unlocked Sat 08 Apr, 2017 11:32 AM

Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 28 Aug, 2021 2:05 AM

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Ascend the ranks to reach the Captains chair

Unlocked Mon 29 Nov, 2021 10:23 AM

0.67% have received this achievement

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

1.91% have received this achievement

• Old School Gamer
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Tactical

Grandfathered

7.01% have received this achievement

• Command Material
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Allan Hood
    Okay, i'll be first officer.

But i do request that, as we've decided to pick up a 'squadron of fighters' (i think 4 fighters, two wings, is enough), i get the Squadron commander gig.

(And have something like they did when they brought back Worf from TNG into DS9. Then Lt. Cmdr. Zotteke Madwan (now full Commander) returns from his work at UP shipyards as test pilot to be a squadron commander again.)

I would even love to bring the Sparrow with me, but if we wanna go with the standard (but still debated) "Peregrine class", that'd be fine with me as well.

As far as maps, charts and stuff, I found the resources provided at http://www.stdimension.org/int/Carto...artography.htm to be invaluable.

Although a copy of the stellar chartography book would be better....

I think you're mistaking about Odo being in charge of the Dominion in the Canon. In Canon Odo returned to the great link to join it, cure it, but not to lead it. The link is one big happy ocean of polymorphic gell if i'm remembering correctly.

In the Novels i agree, but are they canon?

So my vote is for eaglesg's "explooore" area. ;')

As for route to take, i think that with the state of the Cardassian Union we can easily and plausibly go through their territory and strike out west, north west.

I don't wanna go anywhere near south from there though. I (don't know why) seriously dislike the Tholians.

So how's this: We start at a starbase (DS9?) with relief supplies or engineering supplies for Cardassian colonies which we deliver, and then go straight on through to "unexplored" space.

(already having fun in my head with this people, i'm feeling the vibe and getting hyped!)
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞
  2. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Eaglesg; Mon 04 Dec, 2017 4:13 PM.
    I was meaning, which maps would we consider to be canon? Right, that book would have been perfect, if anyone else has it, and if we're all cool with it, we can make that part of OUR canon.

As for Memory Beta, we'd probably have to put some boundaries around it because it has more than just the novels, such as STO and other games.
    Yep, and yep Wink
    Okay, i'll be first officer.
    giphy
    But i do request that, as we've decided to pick up a 'squadron of fighters' (i think 4 fighters, two wings, is enough), i get the Squadron commander gig.

(And have something like they did when they brought back Worf from TNG into DS9. Then Lt. Cmdr. Zotteke Madwan (now full Commander) returns from his work at UP shipyards as test pilot to be a squadron commander again.)

I would even love to bring the Sparrow with me, but if we wanna go with the standard (but still debated) "Peregrine class", that'd be fine with me as well.
    Well that's perfectly fine with me : Allan got the science stuff, you're the tactical guy and I wanted to be an "engineer" Captain Thumbs up
    As far as maps, charts and stuff, I found the resources provided at http://www.stdimension.org/int/Carto...artography.htm to be invaluable.
    Nice reference !
    I think you're mistaking about Odo being in charge of the Dominion in the Canon. In Canon Odo returned to the great link to join it, cure it, but not to lead it. The link is one big happy ocean of polymorphic gell if i'm remembering correctly.
    Yes, Odo returned to the great link to join it and cure it (I rewatched DS9 recently)
    In the Novels i agree, but are they canon?
    Well, I think that we should add them to the Ares universe (all books until the date our story begins, btw we have to determine that: I would say 2380)
    EXPLOOORE hahaha well, that won me over.
    So my vote is for eaglesg's "explooore" area. ;')

As for route to take, i think that with the state of the Cardassian Union we can easily and plausibly go through their territory and strike out west, north west.

I don't wanna go anywhere near south from there though. I (don't know why) seriously dislike the Tholians.

So how's this: We start at a starbase (DS9?) with relief supplies or engineering supplies for Cardassian colonies which we deliver, and then go straight on through to "unexplored" space.
    So, the EXPLOOORE area it is !
    I like the idea to start at DS9 (I have a really nice model of it, and we could make a very good starting poster of the Ares docked at DS9 saying to people "Adventure is waiting for you" Ferengi Wink Big Grin Then yes, dropping some supplies before going to explore is fine.
    Too bad for the Tholians, I have this model Tongue Out

I'm quite hyped too guys, let's continue like that ! It would be nice to have a start for December's UFPAC Wink
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Old School Gamer
      Common (10 Points)

Grandfathered

• Command Material
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Allrighty then. I think i have my character all buttoned up then. Zotteke Madwan, formerly of the USS August, shall be the first officer, and his academy buddy, also a Naccian, will join the crew as the Squadron leader. Ofcourse Ahrund Madwan, Zotteke's son, will be joining his father on the long (5 year? Smile) mission.

Tbh. i'd rather not add the novells to our canon. The premise of the Dominion being kept in check by one man, with the rest of the founders spreading across the Galaxy in a state of deep depression because of their god's death is one i've got a hard time accepting. That and i really disliked Laas, who's a pretty big part in that part of the story arc.

My vote is to use canon as canon and leave the rest to the legends universe (oh wait, that's a phrase from that other franchise of sci-fi.....)

And i guess we start our mission just after the dust settled from the Nemesis events and the popping out back home of Voyager. 2379 Stardate 56947.0

.... right?

- - - Updated - - -

Something just occured to me. One way to provide a wide range of options in the crew of our ship we should include a number of civilian positions in the open positions list. Ones you'd not think of easily, so people can get "inspiration sparked" as i call it.

Just a thought i managed to catch in flying by on the stormwinds in my brain. Thought i'd better put it up before it blew away again.
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞
  3. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Allan Hood
     –  Last edited by Eaglesg; Tue 05 Dec, 2017 9:54 AM.
    Tbh. i'd rather not add the novells to our canon. The premise of the Dominion being kept in check by one man, with the rest of the founders spreading across the Galaxy in a state of deep depression because of their god's death is one i've got a hard time accepting. That and i really disliked Laas, who's a pretty big part in that part of the story arc.

My vote is to use canon as canon and leave the rest to the legends universe (oh wait, that's a phrase from that other franchise of sci-fi.....)
    Well, I'm not against using only the canon (thus only Memory Alpha) if we can have for sure enough material to produce stories. And actually I think that it would make the KISS approach (I really like that name Kerry haha) easier.
    Allan, your thoughts ?
    And i guess we start our mission just after the dust settled from the Nemesis events and the popping out back home of Voyager. 2379 Stardate 56947.0

.... right?
    Picard's log in Nemesis mentioned stardate 56844.9 (November 5, 2379) while Voyager's Endgame was around stardate 54973.4 (December 22, 2377) so I would say that starting on stardate 57000.0 (2380)
    Something just occured to me. One way to provide a wide range of options in the crew of our ship we should include a number of civilian positions in the open positions list. Ones you'd not think of easily, so people can get "inspiration sparked" as i call it.
    Totally agree with that, I think that was the case with the old RP right ?

FAB spacer small

Here is the USS Ares details update:
    Base Info
    Class: Sovereign (Refit)
    Launched: Stardate 51538.6 (July 16, 2374, Time: 14:08:09) - Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards
    Refitted: Stardate 56957.2 (December 16, 2379, Time: 09:04:19) - Utopia Planitia Fleet Yards
    Role: Heavy Exploration/Assault Cruiser
    Docking Base: Deep Space Nine (9th Fleet)
    Area of Operation: Bajor Sector (originally) - Now assigned to the Semper Exploro Project*
    Length/Width/Height: 685.3 x 250.6 x 88.2 Meters
    Mass: 3 205 000 Metric Tons
    Decks: 29
    Crew Complement: 855 Standard (6500 Emergency)

*Semper Exploro Project: "Now that the Dominion War has ended and we're in peace negotiations with the Romulans, Starfleet has decided to go back to its roots and continue the exploration of the Alpha Quadrant"

Tactical Specifications
    Cruise Warp: 8
    Max Warp/Emergency Warp: 9.978 / 9.982
    Shields: Deflector shields, Extended Ablative Armor
    Weapons: 16 Type XIII Phaser arrays, 2 Quantum Torpedo Launchers, 8 Photon Torpedo Launchers

Auxiliary Craft
    Shuttlebays: 2
    Shuttles: 4 Type 9, 2 Type 11, 8 Workbees, 1 Argo Class (Phobos), 1 Flyer Class (Deimos)
    Fighters: 8 - 2 Wings (CLASS TO BE DECIDED)
    Runabouts: Captain's Yacht (Eris) - 2 Danube Class (Thames and Rhine)
    The positions proposal will follow soon
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Allan Hood; Tue 05 Dec, 2017 3:30 AM.
    Well, I'm not against using only the canon (thus only Memory Alpha) if we can have for sure enough material to produce stories. And actually I think that it would make the KISS approach (I really like that name Kerry haha) easier.
    Allan, your thoughts?
    I'd like to use the novels, too, we have plenty of references and can go really deep with it, a common foundation everyone can share easy. I see that as KISS haha we have classic canon in addition to the novels. I'd stay away from STO though and other games.

I meant to bring up stardates earlier, I've been using http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm, that's what you used, too, for Stardate: 57000.0?

Grammar Correction: "Starfleet has decided to go back to its roots..."
    AllanHood Medals
  4. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Eaglesg; Sat 09 Dec, 2017 3:02 PM.
    I'd like to use the novels, too, we have plenty of references and can go really deep with it, a common foundation everyone can share easy. I see that as KISS haha we have classic canon in addition to the novels. I'd stay away from STO though and other games.
    Well, I understand that. I don't know many novels myself, so I would have to look at Memory Beta for my stories (and I think that most of the players will do that too).
    The problem is that Memory Beta includes games and other stuff too, so we have to think by website, not by medium: either we only use Memory Alpha as a standard for our universe OR we include Memory Beta, but it will mean including everything (until our current time of course), novels & video games.

In that case I'll personally vote on the first one to keep our universe simple and canon-based (and the canon is rich enough in term of background)
    I meant to bring up stardates earlier, I've been using http://www.hillschmidt.de/gbr/sternenzeit.htm, that's what you used, too, for Stardate: 57000.0?
    I'm using this website too (and it will be included in the Ares manual). 57000.0 is just an indication that we are starting from January 1st 2380.
    We'll choose a stardate with less 0 in it for the actual beginning
    Thanks ! I have it reread 3 times, but the fatigue has won lol
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• Captain
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Old School Gamer
      Common (10 Points)

Grandfathered

• Command Material
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Hmmz.. we seem to disagree here. If i'd have to choose non-canon to add i would prefer to consider STO rather than the novels.

Reason for that is that the novels are all over the place story-wise. I mean there is even one in which the end of the universe is the main topic and has to be stopped by the ds9 crew under the direction of (who else?) Q. There's also Taran'atar the 'exiled' Jem'Hadar who is forced by Odo to learn about solids instead of dying like a, well, Jem'Hadar... And the whole founders gone depression nuts and abandoning not only their empire, their Vorta but even the great-link because of their god dying is, for me at least, an off-putting idea that actually made me stop reading the ds9 novels. Well, ok, the Neverending sacrifice was the last i read actually.

Couldn't let a book by Garek go unread now could i?

So agree to disagree i think and *turns to face Eaglesg* it will have to be a command decision.

No i did not. I got that from a timeline which, oddly enough, i cannot locate anymore. So i think i had a non-canon source there. If it was incorrect (and Voyager did return a year earlier than i wrote) than i apologize.

I think the timeframe which was proposed is a little bit too soon after the Nemesis 'incident' though. I think we should push ourselves forward a year so the fallout of the Nemesis events has had time to be dealt with and truely be considered history. But that's just an opinion and not too important.

This pops up a question in my mind. What kind of rules will we apply concerning tense in the posts we allow. Like past tense, third person only or do we allow first person format? Or maybe even allow present tense? I pefer past tense very very much. To a lesser degree i prefer third person. Where do you stand on that kind of stuff?
    DeuZige
    DeuZige Medals
    𝔡𝔢𝔲ℨ𝔦𝔤𝔢 𝔅𝔯𝔢𝔡𝔞
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
     –  Last edited by Allan Hood; Tue 05 Dec, 2017 11:08 PM.
    Well, I understand that. I don't know many novels myself, so I would have to look at Memory Beta for my stories (and I think that most of the players will do that too).
    The problem is that Memory Beta includes games and other stuff too, so we have to think by website, not by medium: either we only use Memory Alpha as a standard for our universe OR we include Memory Beta, but it will mean including everything (until our current time of course), novels & video games.

In that case I'll personally vote on the first one to keep our universe simple and canon-based (and the canon is rich enough in term of background)
    Hmmz.. we seem to disagree here. If i'd have to choose non-canon to add i would prefer to consider STO rather than the novels.

Reason for that is that the novels are all over the place story-wise. I mean there is even one in which the end of the universe is the main topic and has to be stopped by the ds9 crew under the direction of (who else?) Q. There's also Taran'atar the 'exiled' Jem'Hadar who is forced by Odo to learn about solids instead of dying like a, well, Jem'Hadar... And the whole founders gone depression nuts and abandoning not only their empire, their Vorta but even the great-link because of their god dying is, for me at least, an off-putting idea that actually made me stop reading the ds9 novels. Well, ok, the Neverending sacrifice was the last i read actually.
    I'd say if we use Memory Beta, leave the games out of it. We can tell which information comes from games; everything's sourced. I like getting the details and background from Memory Beta; it fills in a lot of unknowns. I don't only using Alpha, I just prefer using Alpha/Beta without the games. If it's either/or I'll go with only Alpha.

As for any crazy novel storylines, we don't have to mention every crazy story they've done; it'd simply be another resource to draw tons of ideas from. If someone happened to enjoy that storyline, they'd have the opportunity to write a character that was at that event or whatever.
    AllanHood Medals
  5. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Allan Hood
    [...]
    So agree to disagree i think and *turns to face Eaglesg* it will have to be a command decision.
    I'd say if we use Memory Beta, leave the games out of it. We can tell which information comes from games; everything's sourced. I like getting the details and background from Memory Beta; it fills in a lot of unknowns. I don't only using Alpha, I just prefer using Alpha/Beta without the games. If it's either/or I'll go with only Alpha.
    Memory Alpha it is then.

No i did not. I got that from a timeline which, oddly enough, i cannot locate anymore. So i think i had a non-canon source there. If it was incorrect (and Voyager did return a year earlier than i wrote) than i apologize.

I think the timeframe which was proposed is a little bit too soon after the Nemesis 'incident' though. I think we should push ourselves forward a year so the fallout of the Nemesis events has had time to be dealt with and truely be considered history. But that's just an opinion and not too important.
    Don't apologize for that Wink

Well, I don't mind starting in 2380 or 2381, perhaps Allan has a preference here ? If both of you guys wants to start in 2381 then it's okay with me.
    This pops up a question in my mind. What kind of rules will we apply concerning tense in the posts we allow. Like past tense, third person only or do we allow first person format? Or maybe even allow present tense? I pefer past tense very very much. To a lesser degree i prefer third person. Where do you stand on that kind of stuff?
    Third person / past tense for the missions, first person / present (or past, depending of the narration) for the logs.

I will start to reorganize the Ares forum this week-end, by archiving all the past threads. I also want to create a "Free Story" forum, where people will be able to write their own stand-alone stories, outside of the main division's one(s) (and it will add life to Ares, someone already asked about that).

Keep rocking guys Cool
    • To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

• Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Eaglesg
    Let's do it. 2381 sounds like a good year anyway; I'll be turning 400 years old haha
    AllanHood Medals
  6. UPT Commanding Officer

• Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Very Rare (100 Points)

• The Ghost Writer
      Rare (50 Points)

• Correspondent
      Rare (50 Points)

• You Have the Bridge
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Set Phasers to Stun
      Uncommon (25 Points)

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £100+
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    I will start to reorganize the Ares forum this week-end, by archiving all the past threads. I also want to create a "Free Story" forum, where people will be able to write their own stand-alone stories, outside of the main division's one(s) (and it will add life to Ares, someone already asked about that).
    Okay well I've lost my moderation privileges with my promotion lol
    I've sent a PM to Kerry to correct that, then I'll do the changes !