communications relay login

[Discussion] - STO Reddit has gone offline.

Started By:
Stryker, Mon 30 Aug, 2021 6:41 PM
Views:
Replies:
    • Commendation
      Commendation (150 Points)

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 24 Sep, 2022 9:24 PM

0.24% have received this achievement

• ...and On and On
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach five-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Tue 14 Jun, 2022 8:00 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Receive every medal the UFP has to offer

Unlocked Sat 21 Dec, 2019 10:00 PM

0.18% have received this achievement

• Academy Dean
      Rare (50 Points)

Be Head of Starfleet Academy

Unlocked Fri 18 May, 2018 6:03 PM

0.08% have received this achievement

• Admiral Council
      Rare (50 Points)

Join the Federation Executive Office

Unlocked Sun 02 Dec, 2018 3:00 PM

0.06% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Admiral

Unlocked Sat 28 Sep, 2019 9:08 PM

0.22% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Sul-Matuul
    • Three of Seven
    • Mack
    • Dark
    The world has become a very sorry place in recent years. Decades and centuries of advanced science are now meaningless in the eyes of a vocal minority. Some of it's completely stupid, like Dinosaurs didn't exist or The Earth is Flat. Some of it's downright dangerous and it's causing actual harm, the seeming war against Vaccines is at the forefront of that. Conspiracy Theorists and the like have been really emboldened in recent years and it's gone from being a bit of an amusing distraction to downright sinister.

Someone who pops onto Reddit, Facebook and the like and starts throwing out demonstrably false information about vaccines and how everyone is a sheep to believe science and completely ignores any evidence or point that doesn't fit into their version of reality is a menace and threat. Of course you can make the point about Freedom of speech and beliefs, but a lot of these people try to ignore that there's also consequences to what you put out there and the people listening are entirely in their rights to respond in a fashion to say that they think you've got the IQ of a cabbage. One common thing I see is those pushing these ideas asking if you're really going to trust science and listen to the doctors. And I say yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to listen to the doctor, the immunologist, the virologist etc - they may not know everything, but they're trained to deal with this and their expertise extends beyond a Friday night on google.

And of course, it's always political. It shouldn't always be, but politics always seems to get it claws into everything. Battling against mask mandates seems to be a particular hot topic in several countries, especially in the US from what I've seen in the news. Will the Reddit shutdown protest accomplish anything? That remains to be seen, but it's at least something.

I'll leave with a quote from Dara O'Briain that I think perfectly sums up the anti-vax and science denier brigades.

“Science knows it doesn't know everything; otherwise, it'd stop. But just because science doesn't know everything doesn't mean you can fill in the gaps with whatever fairy tale most appeals to you.”
    Petrarch
    Petrarch Medals
  1. Fleet Admiral

• Commendation

Awarded during the UFP Award Ceremony to those who go above and beyond for the community

Unlocked Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:56 PM

• Top Brass
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach the highest Starfleet Rank

Unlocked Sat 17 Dec, 2016 10:30 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• To Infinity and Beyond
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach ten-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.02% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:00 PM

• Set Phasers To Frag
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win an Annual Elite Force Tournament

Unlocked Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:24 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Hearthstone Tournament Winner
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win the annual Hearthstone Tournament

Unlocked Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:08 PM

0.01% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Sul-Matuul
    • Draco
    • Mack
    • Petrarch
    • Caitranna
    Next part isn't to you Stryker, but in the spirit of your first post. People of all sorts of different views, ideologies and cultures, can in most cases come together around playing a game together like STO. Insert real World politics into it, especially in these very polarized times that's not possible. Players would have to split into their own politicized ghettos because of the intense hostility generated between different political viewpoints. So for that reason and because I'm new to this fleet and don't want instigate a big forum stink in my first few posts, I'm going to refrain from responding to some other posts here on exactly who is putting out misinformation, and who's a danger to who, as well as the whole censorship issue. Live Long and Prosper!
    The problem is, is that anti-vaccination isn't really a "political viewpoint", it's just plain wrong, and dangerous. I get that you don't want to cause a fuss on the forum, but I never shy away from causing a bit of a fuss. Vaccinations have shown great benefits to humanity, with many diseases starting to be less prevelent, but as the rise of anti-vaxxers came about, those diseases that were all but eliminated, started to rise again. Vaccinations are important, like super important, to say otherwise is factually incorrect. Here are some of my favourite videos on the subject.

And people getting the idea that bleach, or horse de-wormer is a better alternative to the vaccination, well, that's the danger of disinformation.
    • Engage
      Common (10 Points)

Join the United Federation of Planets

Unlocked Fri 27 Aug, 2021 11:02 PM

32.62% have received this achievement

• Reliable Officer
      Common (10 Points)

Sign roll call

Unlocked Wed 01 Sep, 2021 6:00 PM

13.84% have received this achievement

• Live Long and Prosper
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for one year

Unlocked Sun 28 Aug, 2022 3:04 AM

96.23% have received this achievement

• Part of the Furniture
      Common (10 Points)

Be a registered user for two years

Unlocked Mon 28 Aug, 2023 9:04 AM

94.99% have received this achievement

• Becoming a Redshirt
      Common (10 Points)

Earn your first respect points

Unlocked Sat 28 Aug, 2021 2:05 AM

12.92% have received this achievement

• Crewman
      Common (10 Points)

Receive the rank of Crewman

Unlocked Fri 27 Aug, 2021 10:10 PM

10.59% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • Taku
    • Three of Seven
    • Distant Knight
    • WelshAvenger
    • Mack
    • Dark
    • Caitranna
    • ForTheGamer
    • Users who liked
    • None
    The problem is, is that anti-vaccination isn't really a "political viewpoint", it's just plain wrong, and dangerous. I get that you don't want to cause a fuss on the forum, but I never shy away from causing a bit of a fuss. Vaccinations have shown great benefits to humanity, with many diseases starting to be less prevelent, but as the rise of anti-vaxxers came about, those diseases that were all but eliminated, started to rise again. Vaccinations are important, like super important, to say otherwise is factually incorrect. Here are some of my favourite videos on the subject.
    [...]

And people getting the idea that bleach, or horse de-wormer is a better alternative to the vaccination, well, that's the danger of disinformation.
    Yeah, no surprises there, people like you never shy away from making a fuss, you can't help but inject your political viewpoint onto everything and onto everyone. So sure of your position, and blatantly unaware of the irony of some of your posts and comments. For instance, the constant references to Flat Eathers. The irony being that were it not for people that challenged the status quo narrative "facts" of the establishment of their day, you too would likely be a Flat Earther. Then there's all the reference to "science" and you choose to post 3 videos of entertainers telling us the "facts". If you like I can post dozens of videos of actual scientists and medical professionals telling you why these shots are dangerous and do not protect you much less anyone else, and are in fact not even vaccines. You won't find those videos on Reddit or Youtube because they're censored. You have to go to Bitchute, Brighteon, Banned.video, or Rumble etc to find them. I know.. you were told those places are full of Neo-Nazis and the like, well they are not. Another irony, the actual children and grandchildren of real Nazis, and British and American Eugenicists who inspired the Nazis in the first place are the very ones telling you to take the shots and shun those trying to tell you the truth. I know it's all too much.. "Conspiracy Theories!" Like powerful people never got together and conspired... So much easier not to do actual research and figure out what's true for yourself, than remain thoroughly blue pilled and content in your own supreme ignorance.
    • Commendation

Unlocked Sat 26 Jun, 2021 9:20 PM

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 25 Sep, 2021 9:17 PM

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Thu 01 Apr, 2021 11:25 AM

0.46% have received this achievement

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Sat 18 Jun, 2022 9:10 PM

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Sun 31 Jul, 2022 10:06 PM

76.03% have received this achievement

• tlhIngan SuvwI'
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the House of Kular

Unlocked Tue 12 Feb, 2019 12:02 PM

13.05% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • Distant Knight
    • Users who liked
    • Three of Seven
    • Petrarch
    Hey now, don't go discounting Hydroxychloroquine or Ivermectin. No serious studies have been performed as to their efficacy because people hate the former President of the United States. Big Pharma is in the pockets of the current administration, and they are keeping the vaccination hoax alive so that money can be funneled through the vaccine makers and through their lobbyists to law makers all across the world. It's all a scam. The current "outbreak" is no more deadly than the annual flu. This is a FACT. The reports of hundreds of thousands of deaths are not due to some flu bug, it's because of the vaccines. The vaccines are killing people and the one-world governments and the media are lying to you. But I know the truth. I have done my own research. Unlike you, I am not a sheep. I have read Dr. Brogan's analyses, I have read the Mawson Study's conclusions, I know what happened to Dr. Michael. All of this nonsense can be stopped in one week. Per the SLCCC, ask your doctor to prescribe Hydroxychloroquine. Take it as directed. After the first day on The Droxy, apply the Ivermectin sheep dip to your whole body. Do this every day for seven days. That is how we stop this whole thing in its tracks in seven days.

Here's the thing: You don't know if I actually believe this.

So let me put it to rest. I do NOT believe any of that. {↖ ⬆ ↗} None of it. Nothing that I wrote is true. However, that isn't stopping people from believing every single word. People actually believe some -- maybe not all, but some -- of that drivel, and some of them will die for believing it. And that's sad.

To bring it around to the O/T, I can get behind some form of protest or awareness campaign waged against misinformation. But I think there might be better, more long-term ways to do it. Instead of a complete blackout for a day, maybe a temporary redirect to a misinformation buster page or a sidebar with vaccination facts instead of online shopping or dating ads. Put the information in front of eyeballs. Churchill said that a lie will cross half the globe before the truth puts its pants on. Well, the lies are now global and the truth is just getting around to tying its laces. Sci-fi and fantasy have always been a mirror on society, and their creators have always tried to show us a better way -- or warn us about what might happen if we don't change. The societal messaging is especially heavy in Star Trek, so I would expect that during some kind of Misinformation Awareness Campaign, Star Trek fans would be a part of it. And that's fine.
    "And when I saw the breadth of my domain, I wept, for there were no more worlds left to conquer."
  2. Fleet Admiral

• Commendation

Unlocked Sat 29 Jun, 2019 9:56 PM

• Top Brass
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach the highest Starfleet Rank

Unlocked Sat 17 Dec, 2016 10:30 PM

0.03% have received this achievement

• To Infinity and Beyond
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Reach ten-thousand posts on the forums

Grandfathered

0.02% have received this achievement

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sun 27 Mar, 2016 2:00 PM

• Set Phasers To Frag
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win an Annual Elite Force Tournament

Unlocked Sun 28 Aug, 2016 7:24 PM

0.04% have received this achievement

• Hearthstone Tournament Winner
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Win the annual Hearthstone Tournament

Unlocked Mon 04 Jul, 2016 6:08 PM

0.01% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    She/Her
    • Users who disliked
    • Distant Knight
    • Users who liked
    • Taku
    • Mack
    • Petrarch
    Are, are you serious? I don't believe someone could join a Star Trek community, and be so ignorant of actual science, as well as the insulting notion of comparing the research into vaccinations to Nazis, take a step back, look at your arguement, it doesn't make sense.

If vaccinations were the work of evil big pharma, and Nazis, then how is it that the science of vaccination first started in 1796? Vaccine science has been going on for a long, long time, before the Nazis. You want some research? Here's a quick little rundown - https://www.immune.org.nz/vaccines/v...ry-vaccination

Look at what vaccinations have done to polio rates, the evidence is right there, infront of you.

And no, I would never be a flat Earther, for the simple fact that there is evidence right infront of me to show that the Earth is not flat, there are repeatable experiments to show that the Earth isn't flat.

The neat thing about science is that it is recorded, you can see how tests were conducted, the results of those tests, and the methodology to conduct those tests again, so you can get the results yourself. That is the purpose of science.

content in your own supreme ignorance.
    Name:  SleepyDimCoyote-max-1mb.gif
Views: 338
Size:  889.7 KB
    • Paragon of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Sign three roll calls in a row

Unlocked Mon 05 Jan, 2015 10:05 PM

9.73% have received this achievement

• Eternal Servitude!
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Be a registered user for five years

Unlocked Fri 19 Jan, 2018 11:01 PM

76.03% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

RSVP to ten events via the Events System

Grandfathered

1.31% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Thu 06 Feb, 2020 6:00 PM

0.69% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Grandfathered

3.98% have received this achievement

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Sat 29 Sep, 2018 1:28 PM

1.91% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Taku
    Well this thread went downhill fast ... >.> ...

... so how about that Rodek with no hair thing yo; only decent good bald looking Klingon was General Chang, he had some but you know what I mean.
    Stryker
    Stryker Medals
  3. Global Moderator

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 14 Oct, 2023 3:00 PM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:00 PM

0.55% have received this achievement

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Fri 01 Apr, 2022 12:10 PM

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Sat 30 Mar, 2024 9:47 PM

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Reach one-thousand posts on the forums

Unlocked Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:00 PM

0.71% have received this achievement

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Unlocked Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:00 PM

12.99% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    not the first time I've seen subreddits shut down because they disagree with reddit's actions or inactions, won't be the last.

Also, boop <3
    Heyallo
    Heyallo Medals
    "What good is a rule if you're not willing to die for it...? Or break it."
    Capt. Christopher Pike
    • Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Gold Subscription

Unlocked Fri 03 Jul, 2020 1:02 AM

0.36% have received this achievement

• Silver Contributor
      Rare (50 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Silver Subscription

Unlocked Thu 02 Apr, 2020 12:02 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Tue 15 Sep, 2020 1:01 PM

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Tue 16 Mar, 2021 3:03 AM

• Poster Child
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach 500 posts on the forums

Unlocked Fri 04 Feb, 2022 5:02 AM

1.10% have received this achievement

• Two Factored
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Enabled Two Factor Authentication

Unlocked Thu 30 Dec, 2021 12:02 PM

0.59% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £25+
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Suspicious Suspicious Suspicious.........Well then... ah hm how about those flying pigs aye?
    Sentinel
    Sentinel Medals
  4. Global Moderator

• Highly Decorated
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Unlocked Sat 14 Oct, 2023 3:00 PM

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 03 Apr, 2020 6:00 PM

• The Fool
      Rare (50 Points)

Got pranked on April 1st

Unlocked Fri 01 Apr, 2022 12:10 PM

• Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Sat 30 Mar, 2024 9:47 PM

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Fri 11 Dec, 2020 7:00 PM

• The Mad House
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Holodeck

Unlocked Tue 05 Jun, 2018 10:00 PM

12.99% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    High Speed Bacon?!?!
    Heyallo
    Heyallo Medals
    "What good is a rule if you're not willing to die for it...? Or break it."
    Capt. Christopher Pike
    • Gold Contributor
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Gold Subscription

Unlocked Fri 03 Jul, 2020 1:02 AM

0.36% have received this achievement

• Silver Contributor
      Rare (50 Points)

Subscribe to a monthly Silver Subscription

Unlocked Thu 02 Apr, 2020 12:02 PM

0.43% have received this achievement

• Tour of Duty
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Unlocked Tue 15 Sep, 2020 1:01 PM

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Tue 16 Mar, 2021 3:03 AM

• Poster Child
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach 500 posts on the forums

Unlocked Fri 04 Feb, 2022 5:02 AM

1.10% have received this achievement

• Two Factored
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Enabled Two Factor Authentication

Unlocked Thu 30 Dec, 2021 12:02 PM

0.59% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Donated
    £25+
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    High Speed Bacon?!?!
    Very high speed both up and down
    Sentinel
    Sentinel Medals
  5. Global Moderator

• Pillar of the Community
      Very Rare (100 Points)

Be a registered user for 10 years

Unlocked Wed 04 Oct, 2023 10:07 AM

34.82% have received this achievement

• Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Fri 13 Nov, 2020 11:07 AM

• To Boldly Go On and On
      Rare (50 Points)

Unlocked Mon 29 Apr, 2019 8:00 PM

• Rear Admiral
      Rare (50 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Rear Admiral

Unlocked Sat 30 Dec, 2023 10:09 PM

0.47% have received this achievement

• Well Respected
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Reach reputation tier 6

Unlocked Mon 03 Dec, 2018 11:01 PM

• FAB-ulous
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of the Federation Administrative Bureau

Unlocked Wed 07 Apr, 2021 10:00 PM

0.35% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    Pronouns
    He/Him
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • WelshAvenger
    • Saelanna
    • Jestersmith
    • Mack
    • Petrarch
    • Distant Knight
    • Stryker
    • Dersch84757
    I have locked this thread as it’s starting a bit out of hand and swaying into dangerous territory.

If anyone has a problem with this action please feel free to contact me or another moderator/CL6.
    SulMatuul
    SulMatuul Medals