ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Caymen Greener
    • Kiflin
    • Quackers
    Reply With QuoteQuote
     –  Last edited by KingTernel; Mon 15 Nov, 2021 9:21 PM.
    690f7e4eb6f34d60d50ce267973420301600225866

USS Verity Operational Log

Featuring
    USS VERITY, NCC-72611, Commander Martin Rhodes (KingTernel)

Mission Summary
    Following a series of uneventful patrol missions, the crew of the Nebula-class USS Verity prepare for a change of command and new orders on the way to Deep Space 9.
    • Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

Unlocked Wed 05 Oct, 2022 6:00 PM

0.54% have received this achievement

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Pass all three Academy exams

Unlocked Thu 18 Nov, 2021 9:03 PM

3.98% have received this achievement

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

Going from Clearance Level 3 to Clearance Level 4

Unlocked Mon 29 Nov, 2021 1:03 AM

1.91% have received this achievement

• Ensign
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Ensign

Unlocked Fri 12 Nov, 2021 8:27 PM

3.59% have received this achievement

• Lieutenant
      Common (10 Points)

Receive a promotion to the rank of Lieutenant

Unlocked Mon 18 Apr, 2022 8:58 PM

1.19% have received this achievement

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

Be a member of Starfleet Operations

Unlocked Fri 12 Nov, 2021 9:01 PM

28.07% have received this achievement

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Kiflin
    • Quackers
    • Caymen Greener
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    First Officer's Personal Log
    Lt Cmdr. Kara Allen, Stardate 58873.1

FAB spacer small

We're entering Starbase 310 tomorrow for scheduled maintenance, new orders, and most importantly, a change in command. Frankly, I don't think I could make myself want to keep our captain if I tried. He's just so.. Ugh. I don't know how they ever gave him a Nebula. Think he should've been stopped way back, in Command School. But apparently, they're now putting him somewhere in the back instead. Starbase 253? 235?

To be honest with myself, I'm not too sure of my own career either. I mean, when they transferred me off the Nautilus to be the Verity's First Officer, I was over the moon. Come on, a 27-year-old LTC, First Officer on a Federation cruiser with a complement of over 700? That's gotta be some kind of record. Felt like everything I've worked so hard for was finally panning out. Now, I'm not so sure. Command keeps sending us on patrol missions to core sectors, where the only thing we have to do is show our faces. Remind people Starfleet exists. Ship runs at nominal constantly and I've personally caught three crewmen sleeping at their posts. Engineering and Ops keep reporting status quo. Pretty sure the only people doing anything on this ship right now are in Stellar Cartography. Now, I hear they're putting a Commander in the big chair.

That can mean one of two things: the new CO is either an up-and-coming hotshot coming to shake us up a bit and we're getting new orders near the Federation-Cardassian border.. or Starfleet can't be asked to waste one of their Captains on the Verity, we're getting somebody who just finished the Bridge Officers' Test from a Galaxy and Command is sending us back to the Orion Sector.

God, I hope it's the first.

FAB spacer small

(OOC: First time for me to be writing something in "me-form" from the character's own perspective. I'd love feedback from anyone who reads this.)

- - - Updated - - -

Personal Log
    Cmdr. Martin Rhodes, Stardate 58874.7, Starbase 310

FAB spacer small

I've now spent five hours looking at personnel files and orders for my new ship. Apparently, we're heading for DS9 to rendezvous with our task force. Most of the crew seems slightly above average, but they're not much to write home about. Four officers stood out, though.

First Officer Kara Allen - graduated from the Academy at the top of her class, commendations and glowing performance reviews from all COs, now a young First Officer on a Nebula. Counselor Jialesa Itre - part of a growing trend of Betazoid counselors on Starfleet ships. I've seen first-hand how useful another type of perspective into someone's mind can be. Science Officer's a Vulcan, which is just a perfect fit. And last, Timothy Donovan, Chief Engineer. For a Lieutenant Commander with multiple tours of duty and serving as Chief Engineer, his record's awfully sparse and generic. I'll have to take a closer look at Engineering when I'm there.

Leaving aside the personnel files for a moment, I'm excited. And I'm also shaking. But mostly excited. It's been my dream to command a Federation starship since the day they saved us on Solarion IV 13 years ago. I always believed that I could do it. That I could, eventually, become a starship captain. But I could never have imagined something like a Nebula-class cruiser. 750 people, and I am responsible for every single one of them. All of them will be counting on me to get them home safely at the end of the day. Not to mention Starfleet Command, who trusted me, not even a Captain, with this responsibility. I will have to do everything not to let any of them down.

And if, on the way, I can help just one person the same way the Federation helped me and my family? Then I'll be the happiest man in the fleet.

God, my big brother will love this. I'll have to call him up when I'm on the Verity.

I've gotta admit, thinking about all this really doesn't help with the shaking. I'm gonna try and find where the holodecks are on this Starbase.

FAB spacer small
    • Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Ensign
      Common (10 Points)

• Lieutenant
      Common (10 Points)

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • Caymen Greener
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    USS Verity
    Ship's Log, Stardate 58875.9, Main Shuttle Bay, Deck 4

FAB spacer small

Kara stepped out of the turbolift on Deck 4 and straightened her dress uniform. Unlike practically everyone she'd ever known in Starfleet, she loved wearing it. It made her feel as if she had more authority, perhaps even more control of the situation. Or maybe she just liked the white colour. She wasn't sure herself. She walked through the corridors, nodding at the junior officers on the way and entered the shuttle bay.

There were more people there than she had ever seen assembled in one place on the ship. Even the bay itself felt different - she wasn't sure what felt off about it, but then, she finally saw it. A massive blue banner bearing the seal of the United Federation of Planets and Starfleet insignia next to it was prominently displayed, practically entirely covering one of the shuttle bay's walls. She couldn't help but to let out a chuckle.

The XO made her way through the bustling crowd and stepped onto the podium, where the bridge crew greeted her with nods and smiles. She stopped in front of them and asked, with a slight grin on her face, "Well, gents, who put up that huge flag over there? Dalton, was that you?" The engineer snorted in apprehension and said, "Ha-ha. I'd thought that was your work, Allen." Kara shot him a glance and responded, "That's Commander for you, Dalton." The engineer rolled his eyes and Kara shook her head.

Then, Kara noticed that the Andorian Lieutenant Commander was starting to break into a smile. She turned to Tosian and said, with surprise she hadn't bothered to hide, "You, Tosian? Really?" The Andorian stood up slightly straighter and said, "Well, of course. I had thought our new captain might appreciate the spectacle." Kara couldn't do anything except shrug.

She turned herself toward the crowd and noticed that the Captain was just entering the shuttle bay. Looking at him now, the only emotion she could muster was a certain boredom. And perhaps exasperation. She turned her back toward the crowd again and missed the Captain picking up his pace to reach the podium in time as a shuttle entered the bay through the main doors with a roar. The crowd instantly lowered their voices and turned their attention to the shuttlecraft when the doors opened and a man stepped out.

Kara thought, "At least the new CO's young. And in good shape. Not like this red-faced retiree next to me. Pretty sure I've dreamed of this day before." Commander Rhodes walked up to the Captain, smiled, shook his hand and took his place behind the podium. Kara yelled, "Attention to orders! Commanding Officer, Verity arriving!" and the crew fell entirely silent.

The commander nodded to Kara and read from the PADD he had placed on the podium in a commanding voice,

"To Captain Robert Hall, Commanding Officer, USS Verity. Stardate 58875. You are hereby requested and required to relinquish command of your vessel to Commander Martin Rhodes, Executive Officer, USS Fearless as of this date. Signed, Rear Admiral Dalton, Starfleet Command."

Captain Hall said, "Computer, transfer all command codes to Commander Martin Rhodes, authorization Hall-omega-six." The computer quickly replied, "Confirmed. USS Verity now under command of Commander Martin Rhodes." Martin walked up to Captain Hall, shook his hand and said, "I relieve you, sir." Captain Hall smiled, responded, "I stand relieved." and stood aside. The new CO straightened his uniform, stepped up closer to the podium and said to the crew, "Dismissed. Don't worry, you'll get your speech later."

Martin walked up to Kara and extended his hand. "Commander Martin Rhodes. And you must be Lieutenant Commander Kara Allen, First Officer." Kara shook the extended hand and replied, "Yes, sir. Good to meet you." The Commander took an appraising look at Kara, apparently satisfied, and said, "Call a senior staff meeting and point me to the observation room. I want to hear your opinion on the ship later, after the meeting." Kara nodded and turned to give orders to the bridge crew.

Martin had started walking toward the exit when he noticed the UFP banner. He smiled and took in a deep breath. For him, it felt like that was the first time he'd ever breathed. He thought, "Well, that wasn't so terrible."

As Martin left the shuttle bay, he could have sworn he saw his First Officer pinch herself.

FAB spacer small

((OOC: This one feels a bit plodding as if it's too long. Already cut out some parts, but doing it feels something like you're killing your baby.))
    • Dedicated
      Rare (50 Points)

Volunteer for 1+ year

• Dean’s List
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Stepping Forward
      Uncommon (25 Points)

• Ensign
      Common (10 Points)

• Lieutenant
      Common (10 Points)

• Starfleet's Finest
      Common (10 Points)

ACHV. Points
    • Users who disliked
    • None
    • Users who liked
    • None
    Reply With QuoteQuote
    USS Verity
    Ship's Log, Stardate 58876.4, Captain's Ready Room, Deck 1

FAB spacer small

Martin was looking over the mission specs and his latest correspondence with the Captain of the Endurance when the door chimed. "Come in," he said.

Kara stepped through the door, crossed her hands behind her back as the door slid shut behind her and said, "Captain. You wanted to see me?" The captain put down the PADD he'd been reading, smiled and said to Kara, "Sit down." As Kara sat down, Martin slid the PADD over the table to Kara.

She caught it, quickly skimmed through it and said, "Task Force Pheonix? Never heard of it." Martin responded, "It's something new. Don't know much more about it than you. We were slated to rendezvous with the rest of the ships at DS9, which is why we missed out on maintenance at Starbase 310. We've got new priority orders though. We're working with the Endurance, another ship from TF Phoenix, to investigate some strange relics."

Kara looked up from the pad. "Is that why we changed course for Blue Horizon right after the ceremony?" "Yep. How far off are we?" "You'll have to ask the helm, Captain. Think we'll get to the area tomorrow, though." Martin nodded and said, "Perfect.. um. Hold on, I have a question. How do you want me to call you?" Kara doubled back for a moment. "Sorry, sir?" Martin chuckled and said, "As First Officer. Would you prefer Commander? Allen?" He smiled even wider. "Number One?" Kara looked away for a second and said, "Anything'll do. Whatever you like, Captain."

Martin shrugged, "Alright, Commander. Now for the other reason I wanted to speak with you. I wanted to hear your opinion on the way the ship's running. Most of the departments seemed to be running fine at the staff meeting. Mind you, not great, but okay." Before the captain could continue, Kara thought, "No way. It's like Starfleet's been listening to my personal logs or something." Martin kept talking, "However, I wanted to hear your opinion on Engineering. Their report seemed.. lackluster and the CEO's service record seemed a bit empty for a Nebula's Chief Engineer." Kara did her utmost not to pump her fist when she thought, "Hell yeah! Oh, and Starfleet's totally listening."

The XO gave her full account to the Captain about everything she'd perceived wrong with the ship: the lack of effort and perhaps in the lower ranks of the crew, the lacking discipline aboard and most importantly, all things Engineering. Mostly with Chief Engineer Dalton.

When Kara finally stopped, Martin felt much worse than he had before. Apparently, his ship was in much worse condition than he had thought. He asked Kara with slight desperation, "You wouldn't have any idea to fix all of this, would you?" Kara beamed at the Captain and said, "Of course, Captain. I'm fairly sure the morale issue will straighten itself out now that Starfleet is sending us on other missions rather than endless patrol. Especially if I nudge a bit. With your permission, I'll also get to work on the discipline issues. I hope not to, but I may possibly have to bring some repeat offenders to Mast."

Kara's expression suddenly turned more grim. "As for the Chief Engineer, he may need a more.. hands-on approach. From you, Captain." Martin nodded in thought and finally said, "Thank you for everything, Kara. I do hope you're right. Dismissed." Kara nodded with a smile and turned to leave.

As Kara stepped through the door, Martin said, "Number One, you have the Bridge."

FAB spacer small